Official White Knight Story (level 5 RPG) thread

Magic Box has the 3 screenshots one linked to earlier (in slightly bigger versions). If you look closely at the first image you may happen to notice that there are 2 characters there other than the giants.

h-103_75349_batoru.jpg.jpg

IGN has some coverage on that:

The staff had to make a few adjustments to get this system to work, visually. Originally, the giants were supposed to be 15 meters high, but at that height, they couldn't be made to fit completely on the screen while showing the human-sized characters as well. So, the designers switched to 7 meters height, and everything fit just perfectly. Hino believes the current size allows players to get a feel for the size of the giants while still allowing for human characters to join in on the fray.

I think they made the right choice with the giant sizes. :D Some interesting info about the character creation system:

Hino was also quizzed on the character creation component that was also unveiled at the Premier event. While the game's main cast seems to be set, you'll be able to create your own character that will then adventure as part of your party. Hino suggested that players might want to create their own likeness so that it will feel like they're a true part of the adventure.

As we mentioned yesterday, the character creation facility is powerful. In fact, it's actually the same set of tools that Level 5 used when creating the game's NPC characters! To show off the toolkit's power, Famitsu showed a number of celebrity recreations, including one of the magazine's Editor in Chief! The avatar versions looked spot on with their real life counterparts. Looks like Nintendo's Mii Channel may have some serious competition!

one's original link to Famitsu has some side-by-side shots of the avatars vs the real person

h-103_75349_hikaku.jpg.jpg

Doesn't look as nice as the original showing. Looks to 'busy' IMO, with lots of aliased foliage. I'd prefer they softened that out with a filter or something. I think the DOF of the orignal trailer helped set the mood. But I certainly recall the trailer looking wowza, whereas this one screeny looks very...generic, Oblivion-esque in appearance and art style.

Shifty is right about the oblivion looking environment(atleast in that pic). And wtf @ the downgrade from the trailer! :eek:

Nonetheless, cant wait for the demo/more info @ TGS :D

The trailer is on the JP PSN too right now. It looks pretty amazing.

Some parts do look to be in game engine cut scenes.

When does the JP PSN store update? I take it it's not a set time like for the EU and NA? Or maybe it is, and I somehow keep missing stuff every time I check it.:???:

TRAILER. (~ 90mb)

This looks really really nice. :oops:
I think most of the trailer is in-engine except for the flying scenes and the walking discworld-esc city.

EDIT: Already posted, but anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:
TRAILER. (~ 90mb)

This looks really really nice. :oops:
That was ... overwhelming. Needs more gameplay footage, but still. Amazing.
The best thing about it all is that Level 5 is way up there when it comes to game design as well, not just presentation. Action-RPG, turn-based, doesn't matter, they are masters of the art. It'll be excellent.

I didnt set a ridiculously high expectation prior to watching the trailer, but hot diggity! that trailer was not only mindblowing, but it reminded me of the epic FF trailers(makes it look like a very high budget title :D )

And assuming most of the trailer was realtime(im a bit skeptical though), then the water dance scene reminds me of the Yuna/Tidus scene from FFX (which was a CG :oops: )

My only disappointment is the title could not come out sooner :cry:

The trailer is a mixture of CG and real time footage. If you pause the CG at the end, you can clearly tell the difference in models, which will instantly help you tell the difference between in game and CG :)

That was ... overwhelming. Needs more gameplay footage, but still. Amazing.
The best thing about it all is that Level 5 is way up there when it comes to game design as well, not just presentation. Action-RPG, turn-based, doesn't matter, they are masters of the art. It'll be excellent.

Now, I haven't played more than two seconds of Rogue Galaxy, but I'd argue they need to get a fair bit better in their action RPG presentation. DQ8 just blows DC1 and 2 out of the water in pretty much every single way.

Never have understood the love of DC2... Good game, yeah, but it seems ot be overrated.

Now, I haven't played more than two seconds of Rogue Galaxy, but I'd argue they need to get a fair bit better in their action RPG presentation. DQ8 just blows DC1 and 2 out of the water in pretty much every single way.

Never have understood the love of DC2... Good game, yeah, but it seems ot be overrated.

On the contrary, I'd argue that DC2 is the best game they've made.

Theres some new famitsu scans circling around the web (apparently 1 week ago :oops: ) and its a mix on ingame ss and concept art.

This was one of the things I was so excited with next-gen hardware, to see beautiful jrpg fantasy environments close to cg quality and the concept art gives a glimpse of how visually stunning this game will be :D

To bad their character designs suck. Can't Level 5 buy Tetsuya Nomura, or at least someone like Haruhiko Mikimoto instead of whoever they are using now?

To bad their character designs suck. Can't Level 5 buy Tetsuya Nomura, or at least someone like Haruhiko Mikimoto instead of whoever they are using now?

that is your opinion, i personally think that the character design in white knight > lost odyssey > ff12.

Back