Benchmark with Matrox Reff Demo on non-Matrox cards!!

Courtesy of tb, we can now run the Matrox reef demo (only 1 observable, minor artifact on my 8500) and use it to benchmark (if we please).

Here is where you need to go:
Tommti Systems latest 3D-Analyzer: http://www.tommti-systems.de/start.html
(Matrox Reef demo link is found on the main page)

The demo runs great on my 8500 64mb. You can choose to use hi or low resolution textures and can run it at 1024*768 or the triple-head-gaming resolution (forgot exactly what it was). Taking an average of my per-frame average values (on excel) from fraps, I obtained 36.2 fps and a minimmum of 19 (using the hi-res textures recommended for 128mb cards). Much thanks to tb for the work!! 8)

P.S. Run the demo and report your findings.

What I did was install 3D Analyzer and then the demo. I extracted and installed the Reef Demo and before opening the demo, I ran the analyzer, selected the directory of the reef exec file, and choose the reef demo setting in the analyzer. This saved some sort of hook dll in the directory where I installed the reef demo. I went to the directory and opened the exe., configured it with the options I wanted and then I ran the demo. It was all very simiple. Make sure you are not missing any of this. PM tb if you are still not able to run the demo, he would be a much better help.

It runs on my GF4 TI 4200 but I don't see any shaders... nor textures by the way ! Beautiful Gouraud Shading though ;)

I'm using Det 41.09.

Mmh...

"Error Writing Configuration File. File May Be Read Only"

This error pops up with and without 3danalyze, maybe its an ReefDemo issue.
Which is a shame, I really liked the videos... :)

Regards,
Skeptik

The problem is in the refresh rate...the demo seems to generate the error when it is 0 for me (when I switched it to the 3 screen mode, it switched to 85 Hz and saved it). I'd guess they didn't test it with Win 9x?

I'm going to mess around with refresh rates using Rage3D Tweak, and see what happens.

No, something more complex is wrong with the refresh rate interaction (Cat 3.1 -> Reefdemo).

The simplest solution for me was to pick the triple head settings, then save and exit. The "tdrg_v2.ini" file can then be edited (I set 1024, 768, with a refresh rate of 0...85 Hz didn't work).

Runs fine on my 8500 64mb on cat 3.0 except for one visual problem

Some of the more pixel shaded objects don't get any fogging and stand out a bit at longer range.

Visual errors must be driver peblems, because it's an dx8 demo which uses ps1.1-1.3 and v.1.0 - 1.1, so gf3/gf4, radeon 8500 and higher should work well. Maybe texture space are the limitaion, but you can select the size in the config app.

Regards,
Thomas

Wasn't able to get it to work on my Ti4600, or the FX 5200. Then again, it could be the drivers, I'm using the beta 42.78 ones. Later on when I'm done benchmarking, I'll give a different driver a shot. I've been wanting to check this demo out the day I saw shots of it on Parhelia launch day. Almost made me want to have $400 just to see the demo, heh.

Got it to work, looks sweet. :)

tdrg_v2.ini:

[GFX MODE]
Width=1600
Height=1200
Bitdepth=32
Frequency=0
AntiAliasing=0
UseHighResTextures=1

[PATHS]
EnginePath=.
SystemPath=.\Data\_System_
FontPath=.\Data\Fonts
MeshPath=.\Data\Models
ScenePath=.\Data\Scenes
SoundPath=.\Data\Sounds
TexturePath=.\Data\Textures
ShaderPath=.\Data\Shaders

Win98 needs the frequency to be 0. Config program has a fit over that though.

very cool demo Luminescent, thank you for prestenting it. i didn't notice any rendering issues at all on my 9700pro and my mimimum fps was 46 acording to fraps loging. i would be happy to do an advrage if anyone knows of some free software to calulate the results by chance?

Got it working fine on a 9700P. Too bad its not an interactive tech demo.

Any way to get FX demos to work on R300 boards? I would love to see the Ogre in action.

Fuz said:
Got it working fine on a 9700P. Too bad its not an interactive tech demo.

Any way to get FX demos to work on R300 boards? I would love to see the Ogre in action.

The reef demo is interactive. You can switch cameras and one camera allows itself to be moved using the cursor keys. I don't remember if this is it, but try tab to switch the cameras.

Pete said:
OpenOffice.org's Spreadsheet? :)

ahh thank you, Pete i made my first spreadsheet evar! :D

anyway, low again was 46fps as noted above and 81.4fps average, high res textures and default driver settings.

Back