New demo based on the graphics engine I'm working on

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
OK, much duped post of what I posted and Rage3d/nvnews, but anyway, the first demo based on the engine I'm working on is here. :smile:

It's a flyby demo, plus a free fly mode (read the controls.txt file for more info). The flyby path is editable too :smile: (read controls.txt)
It should run on all Radeons, GF3/4, but will look significantly better on an 8500. Performance should be quite good on Radeon 8500, around 60-80 fps, but I got only 10-20 fps on the Radeon 7500 I tested on. So I recommend editing the .ini file to use a lower resolution for the 7x00 series cards. It should work on GF3/4 too, but I keep hearing the 3d textures are broken on some (or many) drivers, so I don't know, haven't tested. Technically it should be possible though.

Oh, it got music too :D

Anyway, get it here:
http://hem.passagen.se/emiper/3d.html

Feedback and opinions are wanted :smile:

I tried to run it on a GF3-Ti500 under Win2K using the 22.40 drivers and under Win98 using the 27.20 drivers and it crashed in both environments. Too bad...i was really interested in the demo.
Oh, and if you show me yours, i'll show you mine :D...jpct.de...quite different from your approach, i assume :D

Hi Humus,

I'm just taking my first step into learning OpenGL (how to draw shapes *gasp*). I am wondering how do apps like 3DMax collaborate with OpenGL code? Obviously you can draw 3D geometry in both 3DMax or OpenGL coding, how do they come together? As in which parts would idealy be done using a GUI app like Maya and which parts done with the OGL code.

Thanks for any help.

Nice job Humus, It ran without any problems on my 8500 at about a constant 40fps and looked pretty good with all the lights and such. I've got a couple of questions for you, what kind of framerates are you getting, why the seemingly low detail textures(look pixelated close up except for the middle texture in the big room), would higher detail textures effect the framerates much, and some of the lights cause line boundaries when more that one are on at the same time, do you know why? Anyway, looks good, keep up the good work.

On 2002-02-14 01:23, EgonOlsen wrote:
I tried to run it on a GF3-Ti500 under Win2K using the 22.40 drivers and under Win98 using the 27.20 drivers and it crashed in both environments. Too bad...i was really interested in the demo.
Oh, and if you show me yours, i'll show you mine :D...jpct.de...quite different from your approach, i assume :D

Yeah, I got more reports that it aint running on GF3's, probably not on GF4 either then I assume. I suppose it's the 3d textures, there have been some guys complaining on opengl.org that they are broken in nVidia's drivers, and this demo requires them so I supposed it's likely that. Unless something else comes up I guess I'll be shooting off an email to nVidia tomorrow about it.

On 2002-02-14 01:40, JF_Aidan_Pryde wrote:
Hi Humus,

I'm just taking my first step into learning OpenGL (how to draw shapes *gasp*). I am wondering how do apps like 3DMax collaborate with OpenGL code? Obviously you can draw 3D geometry in both 3DMax or OpenGL coding, how do they come together? As in which parts would idealy be done using a GUI app like Maya and which parts done with the OGL code.

Thanks for any help.

Well, you can create a loader for .3ds files. If you're doing an animation in 3d studio max or maya you'll only need to export the keyframes and do keyframe interpolation in your app. I haven't done a whole lot of character animation though ... the engine I'm using here loads brush files from the UT editor.

On 2002-02-14 02:06, nate240 wrote:
Nice job Humus, It ran without any problems on my 8500 at about a constant 40fps and looked pretty good with all the lights and such. I've got a couple of questions for you, what kind of framerates are you getting, why the seemingly low detail textures(look pixelated close up except for the middle texture in the big room), would higher detail textures effect the framerates much, and some of the lights cause line boundaries when more that one are on at the same time, do you know why? Anyway, looks good, keep up the good work.

I'm getting 60-80 fps, but I've heard more people getting lower framerates. I forgot to mention though, you need the 6032 driver for it to work perfectly, older driver don't handle glSetFragmentShaderConstantATI() calls correctly. I suppose that's the problem with the lines you're seeing. About the textures ... they are fairly high res, there are two 256x256 and two 512x512, but if you're going close up you may see some pixelation, at least on the pillars, I could do a slight blur on the bumpmap to get it away though.

Does the Radeon support 1024x1024 textures? Is it that hard to change the resolution of a texture? (and I don't mean changing the engine to run it smoothly).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mkillio on 2002-02-14 02:48 ]</font>

3D Textures work just fine on all drivers since about 16.xx.

The error I got indicated that you were calling a nonexistant function. Are you sure your code avoids calling ATI's fragment shader routines if the extension isn't detected?

Humus, WOW thats just brilliant! [applause followed by a standing ovation]. I just love all the bump mapping in that demo. I wish there were games out now that used bump mapping as frequently and as well as your demo does.

This is the sort of thing that may inspire me to finally do what I've been promising myself for the last few years.. to learn C++, inforunately as much as I want to I just don't have the patience :cry: .. I envy you Humus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Teasy on 2002-02-14 08:18 ]</font>

On 2002-02-14 00:33, Humus wrote:
It should run on all Radeons, GF3/4, but will look significantly better on an 8500.

Feedback: How about making it look good at GF3-class hardware? :rollseyes:

Regards, LeStoffer

Actually my big message to any developer would be : make sure you game engine is flexible. Todays hardware is getting more and more flexible and I think its only fair to expect the same kind of flexiblity of the software engines. So if a certain feature is no supported don't go: "I'll just turn the effect off" or "I'll just display a box saying that this HW is not supported". Aim to have fallback modes, obviously within limits.

What do you use 3D textures for anyway ?

On 2002-02-14 02:47, mkillio wrote:
Does the Radeon support 1024x1024 textures? Is it that hard to change the resolution of a texture? (and I don't mean changing the engine to run it smoothly).

That would be very easy, just exchange the texture files with higher-res textures. No change to the engine would be neccesary. The Radeon supports up to 2048x2048 btw.

On 2002-02-14 06:42, gking wrote:
3D Textures work just fine on all drivers since about 16.xx.

The error I got indicated that you were calling a nonexistant function. Are you sure your code avoids calling ATI's fragment shader routines if the extension isn't detected?

Well, I honestly do not know, I don't have a GF3/4 card to test on, but since some guys at opengl.org complained recently about 3d textures being broken in several 2x.xx drivers I figured it might be this. I'm not calling any fragment shader routines though if it's not supported, I have tested it with a Radeon 7500 and it works there too. A GF3/4 should take the same path as the Radeon 7500.

On 2002-02-14 10:57, LeStoffer wrote:
On 2002-02-14 00:33, Humus wrote:
It should run on all Radeons, GF3/4, but will look significantly better on an 8500.

Feedback: How about making it look good at GF3-class hardware? :rollseyes:

Regards, LeStoffer

Well, it should look "good", but maybe not as good as a Radeon 8500. GF3/4 are capable of doing it though AFAIK, but I don't have a GF3/4 to test on, so it can be kinda hard to add support for their GL_NV_texture_shader extension, but I'll look into that.

Anyway, did it run at all for you? If so, I'd be very interested in knowing your driver revision. Might help debug it.

On 2002-02-14 11:07, Kristof wrote:
Actually my big message to any developer would be : make sure you game engine is flexible. Todays hardware is getting more and more flexible and I think its only fair to expect the same kind of flexiblity of the software engines. So if a certain feature is no supported don't go: "I'll just turn the effect off" or "I'll just display a box saying that this HW is not supported". Aim to have fallback modes, obviously within limits.

What do you use 3D textures for anyway ?

The 3d textures are for a vector field packing attenuation and light vectors into the same texture. I could perhaps emulate 3d texture by using many 2d slices and select a slice each polygon, but that would cause lots of texture binding calls which would kill performance I guess, one per light per polygon.
Anyway, since this isn't going into any commercial software I figured I didn't want to spend time supporting everything.

Back