My perspective on 3dmark

ben6

Regular
You may have noticed my distinct staying away from any topics to do with 3dmark2003 . Well that's about to change

Let me start by saying that in large part , I agree with NVIDIA, HardOCP etc on their point that actual games need to be stressed in any review. I think for the longest time , reviewers have used Quake3, 3dmark (whatever version) , Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament 2003 and for the most part forgotten why a person normally buys a videocard when writing a review. I've felt that way for years, not just last week.

I remember the old days where Tom , for example used to care about things like image quality, considerations for the gamer, considerations for the professional and included screenshots of various videocards using relatively current games of the time. Somewhere around the release of the Voodoo2, Tom decided to do away with the image quality differences mostly. And I kind of miss that. Back in 1997 , when I first visited his site, he used to include at least several images of current games and point out the differences.

Contrast that to today, where Lars (Tom's hardware writer) doesn't usually use a single image in his reviews on videocards. It's basically a benchmarkfest. Shrug.

Anyway, I digress. Back to 3dMark. Madonion/Futuremark first released a "3dMark" in 1998. At the time their partners (many of the people who worked on 3dmark1999 also worked on Max Payne) at Remedy were working on Max Payne using a engine called Max-FX. I loved the first 3dmark, and as it was using a game engine that would eventually appear in a actual shipping game, it was a valid benchmark for game performance (Note, I'm not saying 3dmark EVER had a real direct relationship with Max Payne performance, as a game engine can and does have features that never make it into a game.) I"m saying that there was and is a relationship between the people who make Max Payne and the people who make 3dmark and you can see some of that influence in both the game and the benchmark.

3dmark2000 continued that trend , adding support for Hardware T+L and other features which are common to DirectX 7.0 cards.

3dmark 2001 began the divergence from the game engine. It included a DirectX 8.0 Pixel Shader benchmark for cards. As there was only one videocard with PS 1.0 support (the Geforce3) some might have the opinion that it was biased towards Nvidia cards. It's rather unfortunate that plans didn't go exactly as planned. With the cancellation of Rampage because of 3dfx's bankruptcy, and the cutting of the Matrox "G800" project into the G550, instead of 4 DX8 cards by different manufacturers out by the end of 2001, there was only 2 Nvidia Geforce3 (note I am placing 3, ti200/500 in the same category) and ATI's Radeon 8500. Had the other manufacturers introduced their cards on time, the picture of performance and support for 3dmark 2001 would most likely have been entirely different.

When DirectX 8.1 came out, MadOnion had a choice. They could release a apples to apples comparison and do a separate test for PS1.4, or they could include a new test for PS1.4 cards.

MadOnion's stated policy on cards are to use features that 2 or more manufacturers support. As of today, only ATI supports PS1.4 in shipping videocards. This , and the fact that they wanted a apples to apples comparison for the score was the reason that SE had a separate APS test.

When 3dmark 2003 was being designed , they faced a similar challenge. Except this time they were basing the benchmark on DirectX 9.0. This meant that all cards that support 2.0 shaders would also support PS 1.4 as well as PS 1.3, 1.2, 1.1 and 1.0. It was therefore appropiate to use PS 1.4.

I'm sure if they could collapse passes on PS 1.3 to improve performance basically doing the same thing, they would have used it as a fallback as well. Unfortunately, PS1.3 still has the 12 instruction limit of the pixel shader, and you really can't collapse the pass like in PS1.4.

This is why the PS1.4 tests will run 2 times or morefaster on a Radeon 9700 Pro/8500 than on a Geforce4 .

Let's talk about the specific game tests

Game 1- For a flight sim to me , it was rather boring in all honesty. Not talking about single versus multitextured here, I think games like IL-2 Sturmovik have done it better.

Game 2. This was supposed to simulate a fps like Halo, Doom3 et al. Again , I found this test rather boring , and felt Unreal 2 has done a better job of providing a cool look. But me, I'm not that enamored of FPS shooter type games right now so that's understandable

Game 3-meant to represent a RPG game. I loved the look of the sword, and the look of the female's hair . I also liked the look of the trolls and the lighting of their lair :)

Game 4- meant to show Pixel Shader 2.0 effects and be a DX9 benchmark. As such, it does a wonderful job with the water, and the sky. The fact that there are parts of the benchmark using PS 1.4 is really irrelevant. If the developers coded everything in PS2.0, no card existing today (unless R400/NV35 whatever is in proto form :)) would run it at any kind of reasonable speed.

I'm not sure I agree with the weighting of the individual tests, but then they tried to give each test equal weight.

Do some people buy it to see how many 3dmarks a card gets? Yes , but for the most part people buy faster videocards to run the games they play today better.

Is 3dmark 2003 relevant ? Yes. No other existing synthetic or game benchmark uses pixel shaders 2.0 at all. When I asked NVIDIA when we might see a DX9 benchmark from them, their response was: We code for OpenGL to show off the full capabilities of our cards. And that's my problem with NVIDIA's argument. They think that 3DMark does it wrong? Fine. Show us some demos of the way you think benchmarks should be done! Chameleonmark, TreeMark and other previous demos are good examples of this and in fact do show off some very nice effects .

The fact that at ATI's SF 9700 launch , they stated that the 9700 Pro was getting over 2x the performance of Nvidia's Geforce4, in ChameleonMark (Dave Nalasco , a very straight up guy at ATI) says a lot about the benchmark.

Continued....

Anyway, will I be using 3dmark 2003 in my reviews? Yes. Until and if we see another synthetic benchmark that uses Pixel Shader 2.0 at all, it would be disingenuous not to use it. Will I use the final score and leave it like that as so many reviews have done with 3DMark 2001/SE, no. I'll break it down game by game test and then use the final score.

Now, with the proliferation of DX9 parts to come (R350/RV350/M10/400/NV31/NV31M/34/35/XabreII/XP8 Trident/DeltaChrome/Matrox's Pitou? :)) this year , it's hard as a reviewer to simply discount a benchmark simply because of one company's opinion. Yet, it appears that that is precisely what has happened as the articles from Tom, Kyle (though I agree with his opinion), and several other sites have posted recently so readily have shown.

In order to evaluate a card's performance, one must use the available tools. And shouldn't be influenced by the card manufacturer's opinion. That's what a objective reviewer is supposed to do.

That's true. And I'm not suggesting we use any benchmark will-nilly. But again, we're left without a DX9 benchmark or game to test on till at least the middle of the year.

ben6 said:
But again, we're left without a DX9 benchmark or game to test on till at least the middle of the year.

Hopefully by then Nvidia will have their mainstream hardware available. ;) It's getting a bit boring seeing the top spots of benchmarks being dominated by a sole manufacturer's hardware.

Ben so you are punishing ATI because they have PS 1.4 support in all their cards 8500+? Why not blame Nvidia for being slow to the game? You don't think PS 1.4 qualifies as a good DX9 test? All DX9 boards support it? Games that use DX9 will most likely have Ps 1.4, plan and simple. Despite what Nvidia wants people to believe.

If someone could give a good reason why PS 1.4 shouldn't be used since it is a part of DX 8.1 (I don't really care not all hardware supports it, that is not a VALID excuse..talk to Microsoft).

I think it would be quite silly to see a DX9 test using 2 year old standards having to multipass when it is not needed.
The only excuse I ever see, is Nvidia hardware doesn't support it, it is not fair (bunch of Canadians use it..grumble..grumble)
arge.gif
, well there is only one problem with that, it's is only the fault of Nvidia they chose to not progress..no one else.

When you see Borsti on Tomshardware making comments like "X-box doesn't use PS 1.4..so we don't need it" you can really see the poor state the Hardware review sites are in... they are not concerned about moving graphics forward on the PC (they would rather us stay in the DX7 and 2 year old DX8 Pixel shader era) or they are looking for their advertising cash advance from the IHV.

Either way its poor reviewing..what a stark contrast to come to this site and read the reviews here vs. others. Incompetence and puppet players are 90% of the review sites out there, without the knowledge to make any decisions for themsleves.

That's fine and good. But I'm still confused as to where my history lesson with 3dmark turned into a "I'm against PS1.4 being used in 3dmark 2003" as nooneyou know seems to think. What I said was :

When DirectX 8.1 came out, MadOnion had a choice. They could release a apples to apples comparison and do a separate test for PS1.4, or they could include a new test for PS1.4 cards.

MadOnion's stated policy on cards are to use features that 2 or more manufacturers support. As of today, only ATI supports PS1.4 in shipping videocards. This , and the fact that they wanted a apples to apples comparison for the score was the reason that SE had a separate APS test.

When 3dmark 2003 was being designed , they faced a similar challenge. Except this time they were basing the benchmark on DirectX 9.0. This meant that all cards that support 2.0 shaders would also support PS 1.4 as well as PS 1.3, 1.2, 1.1 and 1.0. It was therefore appropiate to use PS 1.4.

I'm sure if they could collapse passes on PS 1.3 to improve performance basically doing the same thing, they would have used it as a fallback as well. Unfortunately, PS1.3 still has the 12 instruction limit of the pixel shader, and you really can't collapse the pass like in PS1.4.

This is why the PS1.4 tests will run 2 times or morefaster on a Radeon 9700 Pro/8500 than on a Geforce4 .

I was talking about 3dmark 2001SE there. Saying nothing against the 8500.

I think you've hit the nail on the head ben, No it's (3dMark2K3) not perfect but it's currently the best we've got. Hopefullyat least one review site will maintain a balanced perspective over the whole thing.

Rest assured once Doom3 finally gets released that 3dmark03 should lose all relevance it has as a benchmark that people should use to judge performance from. My views on it don't really reflect that of nVidia's, simply because nVidia is a company that shouldn't have to release a statement saying 3dmark03 is a bad benchmark. All they do is bitch and wine and not provide a gaming benchmark of their own, so they look stupid from a consumer perspective. Instead they should have just released the 42.68's to compete in terms of performance in the benchmark. At least that way nVidia does what it does best.

What aggravates me are the slow framerates my Ti 4200 is getting with the benchmarks. I was under the assumption that I would be able to play DX8 level games with at least some reasonable framerate at a decent resolution. But when the card can't even break 20 fps at 640*480 it's a sign of incompetent coding. The alpha leak of Doom 3 at least yields me around 40 fps on average. 3dmark03 is a pathetic attempt at showing off features of videocards that apparently can only have a high framerate on a top of the line card.

I'm interested in seeing where nVidia can bring the NV30 architecture, it's impressive to see a TNT go all the way to a GF4. I anticipate the future of NV30 core technology.

Future Mark is in a vulnerable position right now, because if other graphics card companies come out with cards that have problems with competing with ATI's offerings then they may release statements of 3dmark03 being a bad benchmark also.

Sonic said:
What aggravates me are the slow framerates my Ti 4200 is getting with the benchmarks. I was under the assumption that I would be able to play DX8 level games with at least some reasonable framerate at a decent resolution. But when the card can't even break 20 fps at 640*480 it's a sign of incompetent coding.
You can't measure performance in a vacuum. How does your result compare to other cards with similar specs? And what does framerate have to do with coding quality? There are plenty of poorly written games that get high framerates.
The alpha leak of Doom 3 at least yields me around 40 fps on average. 3dmark03 is a pathetic attempt at showing off features of videocards that apparently can only have a high framerate on a top of the line card.
I see now. You are comparing Doom 3 to 3D Mark, yet you only have one basis for comparison: The performance on your 4200. That doesn't make any sense. If you get 40 fps in Doom 3, but you don't compare it to any other card, then you'll never know how good your performance is. Maybe everyone else is getting 1000 fps or maybe 10, you don't know.

Did you ever think that the 20 fps on your 4200 is a good result? Or did you just go by the number? What do you think of your performance on GT4? I mean, if you thought 20 was an indication of poor coding, then I guess the 0 in GT4 proves it.

The way benchmarks work is that you use them to compare your results with other people's.
Future Mark is in a vulnerable position right now, because if other graphics card companies come out with cards that have problems with competing with ATI's offerings then they may release statements of 3dmark03 being a bad benchmark also.
This statement gave me a good laugh.

I always thought 3DMark was a good benchmark for showing how well ATi, nVidia etc could optimise their drivers for a specific application. nVidia showed with 2001, I guess it won't be long before the results become just as meaningless as the previous generation. I have never purchased a gfx card based on benchmarking alone. I normally aim for a balanced mix of features and performance. That's why I, originally, bought an 8500. More features and adequate performance. Shame it never really worked properly :cry:

The interesting thing about all this is- all the "policies" and "statements" are/always have been loaded with double standards.

MadOnion's stated policy on cards are to use features that 2 or more manufacturers support.

At the time of 3DMark2000, only NVIDIA cards had HW T&L, yet this was chosen and other cards "fell back" to software T&L or CPU T&L (SSE/3DNow!).

I don't see how this differs from PS1.4 and fallbacks to PS1.1->1.3 in 3DMark03. In fact, this is a much more comparable "fall back" as we are talking HW vs HW, just different implementations.

This is just one small example. There have been literally dozens of changes in policy/procedure when one removes all the bemuddled clouds and sticks with the basic underlying principles. But this isn't always a bad thing.

Of the things concerning 3DMark03 being attacked by NVIDIA and a few websites- they involved principles that havent changed since the benchmark's inception. They attack the very fundamental core of the benchmark itself and use criteria that havent changed with 3DMark vs. games since 3dmark99. And I agree totally that it's hypocritical for these sources to suddenly decide they will wash their hands of the benchmark from this day forward just because one of their sponsors says so.

I honestly don't think it's possible to MAKE a tool that has good value for the end user AND make a fair/balanced performance tool for reviewing hardware... you just cant have both needs fulfilled in a single tool. When it comes down to it- all these tools do is function as a measuring stick... but by WHO'S definition of measurement is the whole debate. What 3DMark has measured hasn't changed in 5 generations of the test (99, 2000, 2001, 2001SE and now 03).. the way the determine end score, the determination for what features to support (and why) and whatnot have changed dramatically over the years, but at the end of the day, the benchmark still uses it's own flavor of measuring stick. This makes it totally hypocritical for anyone to suddenly have a change of heart on it's usage and somehow declare it "invalid"- since the same invalidity arguments have existed for one and all times.

Sonic said:
Rest assured once Doom3 finally gets released that 3dmark03 should lose all relevance it has as a benchmark that people should use to judge performance from.

:rolleyes:

Have you ever thought about these small details:

1. DOOM III - OpenGL / 3DMark03 - Direct3D
2. DOOM III - Uses optimized extensions for some cards / 3DMark03 - Uses pure DX9, and no optimisations for any specific cards

*edit: hit submit too early.. duh. Anyway, point being that DOOM III and 3DMark03 are different. For starters, they use different API's. I don't think that 1 or the other will make the other one loose its relevance.

My personal opinion (on games being used as "benchmarks") is that games are ok to be used in reviews (along with 3DMark, of course ;) ), but one thing reviewers should keep in mind is that if "game A" uses "engine X", doesn't automatically mean that "game B" that uses the same "engine X" performs likewise on all hw. That's something many reviewers tend to forget to mention..

Here's a pretty relevant quote from our Response:
We continue to recommend to independent testers to complement their analysis by using published games in measuring performance. However, it has to be noted that those results are valid only for that game, whereas 3DMark03 can provide a forward-looking overall view of the performance and features of the hardware.

Additionally, benchmarks in games have not necessarily been created with the same diligence and attention to detail that Futuremark puts into ensuring the benchmark's independence and reliability. Games may contain specifically created code paths for different vendors' products; either for marketing or application compatibility reasons, invalidating at least the generalization of measured results to other games.

Well-built synthetic benchmarks measure computer hardware performance within a specific usage area in an impartial way. Only good synthetic benchmarks enable true apples to apples comparisons. 3DMark03 fulfills both criteria.

In the Futuremark blurb ""Furthermore, 3DMark03 includes advanced analytical tools to enable independent observers to catch any potential questionable driver optimizations. By taking a tough stance against any kind of driver optimization, the media can discourage this practice"

With all the rumours as to whether Nvidia are cheating with their newly released 42.67 / 68 drivers why doesn't FutureMark just produce a printout of the differences between drivers 42.63 and 42.68

If Nvidia is forcing 12bit Integer Precision, is this classified this as a cheat as it's like comparing 16bit and 32bit colour benchmark results or is it a perfectly good optimization just it's of a lower quailty compared to others.

worm[Futuremark said:
]Anyway, point being that DOOM III and 3DMark03 are different. For starters, they use different API's. I don't think that 1 or the other will make the other one loose its relevance.

My personal opinion (on games being used as "benchmarks") is that games are ok to be used in reviews (along with 3DMark, of course ), but one thing reviewers should keep in mind is that if "game A" uses "engine X", doesn't automatically mean that "game B" that uses the same "engine X" performs likewise on all hw. That's something many reviewers tend to forget to mention..
I agree with the part about benchmarking one application and how it can only tell you the behaviour of that very application, but that applies to 3DMark too, doesn't it?

btw: The whole notion that using 3DMark is somehow superior to benchmarking real games irritates me. To be honest, I don't think it has any merit.

Evildeus said:
ben6 said:
Game 3-meant to represent a RPG game. I loved [...] the look of the female's hair .
That's the part i found the ugliest in the game :!: :?
I didn't find it especially appealing either.

cu

incurable

Just what does benchmarking real games tell you about the abilities of any videocard in future* (read: DX9) games?

NOTHING!!!!!!

While your GF4's may work great now, how about next year in the newest titles? Yes, I know that you can turn down the effects, but is that why you bought the damn thing? To turn down the effects in future games?

Jeez, guys, clean the wax out of your ears......

* guess that's why it's called FUTUREmark.......

Back