World Cup 2006

Arwin said:
Very obviously, both teams were to blame. There were a fair number of ridiculous acts on both side. One of the lows on the Dutch side imho was not giving back the ball after the referee's toss. Although it's not really necessary after a toss, in the context of the injury it would have been the nice thing to do and it was a good indication of how sore the whole thing had become.

Indeed, both teams were certainly to blame. Van Bommel in particular was a disgrace throughout the match. The incident with the ball not being returned also fueled the nastiest 10 minutes of the game, where it genuinely looked like things could get out of control.

If that was the case, it would.
But then neither team would have finished the game with 9 players.

Arwin said:
Actually, that seems a little unfair. The foul on Ronaldo should have been a red for the Dutch, and that was a mistake by the referee as it could have cooled down the match. But after that, the Portugese put a lot of acting and foul play into their game. Both Figo's headbut and his theatrical falling were a testament to this. If the incident had been investigated in retrospect, it could have cost him the next match, I think.

I entirely agree with you. It was not a pleasant game... In the case of Figo's he had his face red.... it if means anyting.

[size=+9]YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES![/size]
[size=+9]GO ITALY :p![/size]
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, Italy. A hard fought and well contested game and it's a shame their had to be a loser. I actually felt sorry for the Germans (which, as an Englishman, I never thought I'd say! ;). Now, let's hope France kick Portuguese ass... :devilish:

Deepak said:
Yeaah! Italians stop German March! :cool: Now its Portugal's turn to stop France.:devilish:
Nah, we can't have an Italy - Portugal final. For one thing, they'll all spend so long writhing on the floor there won't be time for any goals... ;)

With all due respect, the antipathy for Italy runs deep. I just hate the way they start acting whenever they loose the ball, as well as their football assoc. going all the way out to ban frings. Nevertheless Lippi went all gambling in the end and thus won deservedly

In this case, I think Italy deserved to win. Although for a lot of the time the two were in balance, the Italians created a lot more important chances and could have scored sooner than this - it was bound to happen, but amazing that it happened 90 seconds before the end of the extra time. :oops: And then again a minute later, amazing.

Anyway, I'm not sure who I'd want to win tomorrow. Apart from the last matches, France hasn't really been impressing. Portugal can play very well - if they concentrate on playing, like some of their players (Maniche, Ronaldo, etc.). But then in the last games Zizou did really inspire his team, so I guess I'm going to favor whomever plays the most attractive football tomorrow. :)

If Portugal plays with pride, I think I'd rather see Portugal against Italy, but France vs Italy should really potentially be a good match. Let's hope these last three matches will be clean and pleasing to the eye!

PiNkY said:
as well as their football assoc. going all the way out to ban frings.
At least get your facts straight. basicly our football association is no more (due to a recent scandal), moreover we DID NOT make any request regarding Frings, even Fifa confirmed this.

Damn what a nasty end to our dreams. Those two last minute goals were like a flashback to 1999, the CL Final ManU vs. Bayern. Deserved win by Italy, but we put up a more than respectable fight and in the end it was close. If they can repeat this performance (their best game in this tournament by far IMO), Italy won't be easy to beat for the title.

Even though there's still matches to be played and a 3rd place to secure, I want to thank Klinsmann and our team for playing a bloody fine tournament. It was SO refreshing to finally see Germany playing offensive, fast and attractive football, especially after over a decade of often mediocre performances. A year ago I was scared the WC would come too early for this young team, they proved me wrong. I'm really looking forward to the next tournaments now and see how this team develops. :cool:

I actually felt Germany dominated the match, more or less through the first 90 minutes.. Italy completely turned it around in overtime though, and deserved to win at the end (the germans looked tired and flat footed).

Finally we get a good refereed game too.

But im happy italy won.

Gollum said:
I'm really looking forward to the next tournaments now and see how this team develops. :cool:

You seriously think Klinsmann will (be allowed to ) stay? Me not.

However, Italy deserved to win, period. I think the last game was a bit too heavy on Germans, Italians surely showed better fitness and I think that's what decided the match.

BTW, do you guys think Italy fooled us all with their "lame" playing until yesterday? I could kinda imagine that. Or was it just a sudden motivation boost?

Back