World Cup 2006

hupfinsgack said:
So what do you guys think? Was it a penalty?

I'm inclined to be believe it wasn't. The "fouled" Italian was smiling even before touching the ground. (But it was a funny replay though)
I think there were 2 dodgy decisions - the red card was a tad harsh but the penalty was even worse! Sigh :cry: I guess I'll just have to concentrate on the Aussies in Wimbledon now.

Sad for Aussies. That penalty was a blunder, the Referee should have been more careful while awarding it as the close was near and he should have awarded it only after being 100% sure about it.

Sorry but he has to give that penalty. Even so I feel sorry for the aussies that was just atrociously stupid by their defender.

PiNkY said:
Sorry but he has to give that penalty. Even so I feel sorry for the aussies that was just atrociously stupid by their defender.

Yeah, after watching it again I have to agree the defender made a huge blunder. He did in fact throw himself on the ground prematurely and the Italian player took advantage of the obstacle. So yes it was a penalty though a really unnecessary one.

Yeah, I agree. The Italian may have exploited the opportunity but the the Aussie defender made an incredibly stupid and totally unnecessary blunder, so it's really his fault. The Aussies kicked themselves out of the world cup... too bad. The penalty was certainly warranted.

The most interesting thing about that game was that Switzerland got knocked out without conceding a single goal during regular play. Good job by the Ukraine goalkeeper.

L233 said:
Italy will totally azzrape the Ukrainians.

Italy has the advantage of meeting an exhausted Ukrainian team in the quarter final and afterwards they'll probably meet an exhausted German / Argentinian team. I think their odd to advance into the final, though they didn't play that well so far, have greatly increased.

I think ukraine might have a shot, the Italians have not played with any great consistency. Ill be cheering the Ukrainian team. :)

epic

what a nightmare, italy beat us assies in the cruelest possible way.
im happy because we got so far, im pissed off because we got beat like that.

my game summery is-
italy had the better chances and looked more dangerous going forward.
australia won the midfield but was beaten everywhere else.
guuss made a few realy bad tactical errors in my view and i dont think he is the genious everyone makes him out to be.- my reasons for this is.
viduka shouldve been taken off the field because he is way too slow and flat footed(even though in the past he has been one of my fave aussie players) and was never dangerous at all. his runs were badly timed and always tried to recieve the ball on his heels instead of going out to meet it. though he did win a few headers - but that in my book is not good enough- he just lacked confidence. EDIT: viduka should not even have started in that game.
he should made more changers 20-30 min before the end to freshen up the team and go for the win(just like the italian coach did). he had 2 players on the bench that couldve changed the game. we realy only looked dangerous from crosses and josh kennedy couldve given us some aerial spark up front and well needed PACE if he was allowed to come on 20-30 min before the end.
its not christmas every day when you can bring subs 10min before the end of the game and expect them to score goals!
about the penalty, man im pissed off BUT- bad decision i think on the defender, he should not and did not need to fall to the ground like that, very clumsy. also bad decision from the ref because the forward played for that penalty and in the dieing seconds of the game i think it would or have to be a 100% foul to make a game changing decision like that. ruined the game IMO.

PLUS i hate watching italy play, they bore me to tears and i dont like their defencive style of play.
i like attacking teams like brazil and argentina that can entertain a crowd.
, ok im over it now. got it out of my system.
germany, brazil, argentina look like being the teams to beat so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, as an Aussie myself while it's upsetting to get out the way we did, I don't think we deserved to win that game. We just couldn't break up their defence and even though they were a man down they were always more dangerous near goal.

Still, it's a bad way to get knocked out. If Kewell was playing we'd probably be through.

Zaphod said:
The most interesting thing about that game was that Switzerland got knocked out without conceding a single goal during regular play. Good job by the Ukraine goalkeeper.

Ditto... interesting and sad at the same time. :/ Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted. *thumbs up Köbi*

hupfinsgack said:
Italy has the advantage of meeting an exhausted Ukrainian team in the quarter final and afterwards they'll probably meet an exhausted German / Argentinian team. I think their odd to advance into the final, though they didn't play that well so far, have greatly increased.

... Aren't the italians also gonna be quite tired? We do get tired too u know :D

I think the theory is that they didn't have thirty minutes of extra time plus penalties to contend with, thus they'll be less tired.

Besides, we all know the Italians spend most of the game on the ground anyway, so they shouldn't suffer from tired legs. :devilish: ;)

Hanners said:
I think the theory is that they didn't have thirty minutes of extra time plus penalties to contend with, thus they'll be less tired.

Besides, we all know the Italians spend most of the game on the ground anyway, so they shouldn't suffer from tired legs. :devilish: ;)

HAH! I think most of their energy goes into trying to look good while playing. I mean, Pirlo must have the best hairdresser in the universe. After 90 minutes of running and diving and fighting, his hair is always in the same position it was at the beginning of the match! That's just impressive.

london-boy said:
After 90 minutes of running and diving and fighting, his hair is always in the same position it was at the beginning of the match! That's just impressive.

Running and diving, perhaps. He's not known for his 'fighting' abilities, is he?

I expect the fixed bouffant is due to ozone-destroying levels of hairspray. ;)

Oh, man. Ghana vs Brazil 0:2, even though Ghana has been clearly the better team so far and the last one was an offside goal.

Back