Sony Interview (Please Translate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheChefO said:
Honestly this specific topic is a bit of a nitpick but really, honestly, I think he's promoting ps3=computer.
Which few people are disagreeing with. But what we (or at least me, who's a stickler for this sort of thing!) are disagreeing with, is Rancid's statement
...Sony's claims that the "You no longer need a PC".
Sony have not in this interview said "You no longer need a PC." It's clear as day saying 'we don't need a PC when it comes to our online networking system - PS3 fulfils all the functions you'd want in that department.'

The living room media pc is a new and competitive market. Windows media center pcs seem to be ps3's competition. I don't expect ps3 to be able to compete with desktops but media pcs instead. Ps3 if it executes on it's promised features could win this battle. For me this is a huge value proposition because I want both a game machine and a media center computer. Being able to sit on my couch, access my networked music, play games and watch movies all from one device wirelessly is impressive. If marketed properly I can see non gamers jumping on this.

So maybe you lose some gamers because of the initial price, but you gain some non gamers who use the device as a media center and you gain some non gamers who use it as a cheap blueray player. In the minds of those interested in more than one of these functions you gain a competitive edge over 360 and wii. Yet the fact remains their are many things we really want but just can't afford. Over the long run price needs to go down as quick as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nesh said:
For the billionth time.

1)Anything computer isnt necessarilly a PC.

2)Sony ment PS3 will "replace" the computer when it comes to certain functions. That is...entertainment like: watching movies, playing games, going online, handling your personal photos and videos.

That's a bunch of CRAP.

Because Sony very specifically said "AND OTHER PC FUNCTIONS".

How difficult is that to understand?

How hard is to understand that Sony and KK wanted the PS2 to replace the PC? How hard is it to understand that they realized the PS2 FAILED in that aspect but they have hopes for the PS3 to accomplish that task?

Why do you think Sony even entered into the console market to begin with?

Why do you think MS even entered into the console market?

BOTH of them entered into the market for the same exact reason.

RancidLunchmeat said:
That's a bunch of CRAP.

How difficult is that to understand?

How hard is to understand that Sony and KK wanted the PS2 to replace the PC? How hard is it to understand that they realized the PS2 FAILED in that aspect but they have hopes for the PS3 to accomplish that task?

PS2 replace the PC? Link please? They never said that.

How hard is it to understand that they were never planning to replace the PC with the PS brand?

How hard is it to understand that they wanted the PS brand to be the all in one device when it comes to entertainment?

KK never envisioned the PS to be used for office use.

Find me a link where KK or PH stated that they are trying to make the PS3 do everything the PC can so one day they will replace the PC market with the PS.

Also find me a link of an interview that is NOT TRANSLATED but a direct quote from PH where he states that they are planning to replace PCs with the PS3.

The other functions you mentioned are only optional possibilities.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Which is not the same as "AND ALL OTHER PC FUNCTIONS"...

To sell media content, not to run office applications. The simple premise of Kutaragi's PlayStation dream, embodied in the name of the platform, is that you use a WorkStation for Work, and a PlayStation for Play - play being entertainment functions. KK's philosophy is that the PC in the entertainment space is poorly suited as it's an evolution of WorkStations designed for work tasks, with different requirements to entertainment. For entertainment functions you want a computer with a different heritage better suited to the job. It was not the intention to replace the WorkStation (PC) for Work tasks, though of course any chance Sony have to make more money they'll take. But that's not the mission and never was.

Shifty Geezer said:
Which is not the same as "AND ALL OTHER PC FUNCTIONS"...

And you answer that difference in your next comments.

To sell media content, not to run office applications. The simple premise of Kutaragi's PlayStation dream, embodied in the name of the platform, is that you use a WorkStation for Work, and a PlayStation for Play - play being entertainment functions. KK's philosophy is that the PC in the entertainment space is poorly suited as it's an evolution of WorkStations designed for work tasks, with different requirements to entertainment.

Right. So? Did I ever say that Sony wants to replace office/business computers with the PS3?

No. Again, this goes back to the root of personal computer.

The fact that nearly everybody uses PCs as workstations at their office/business, is due to the flexibility of the PC and the fact that PCs are almost as cheap to manufacture as the old dumb terminals were.

KK and Sony aren't targetting the PS3 as a replacement for the Wintel boxes in the office place.

But they certainly are trying to justify the price of the PS3 by saying it will replace your PC... your home PC. The PC that you download videos and music on, the one that you use for word processing, simple spreadsheets, and playing games and/or movies.

It was not the intention to replace the WorkStation (PC) for Work tasks, though of course any chance Sony have to make more money they'll take. But that's not the mission and never was.

Agreed, but that's not something I ever said they were claiming. I didn't make a distinction between the Workstation (PC) and the Homestation (PC) because I thought it was fairly obvious that both Sony and myself were only talking about the Homestation (PC).

And there's certainly no reason why the PS3 can't be a functional substitute. It certainly has the capability. The only problem is in user acceptance which is due to environmental and usability factors.

Sony very clearly wants to project the idea that you aren't just buying a $600 gaming machine. You are a buying a $600 machine that can play games, display movies, surf the internet, use to write letters, do your taxes, etc. The PS3 will make your Compaq or Dell obsolete or redudant.

If it's not a simple matter of misunderstanding, I don't know why anybody is arguing this point because Sony has made it quite clear.

RancidLunchmeat said:
But they certainly are trying to justify the price of the PS3 by saying it will replace your PC... your home PC. The PC that you download videos and music on, the one that you use for word processing, simple spreadsheets, and playing games and/or movies.

Difference is they arent refering to functions like spreasheets, word processing etc. They are refering only toi the functions such as movies, games, videos music etc. With other words they say that the PS3 will replace the PC in regards to these.

And I ask whats so bad or strange about that?

Nesh said:

Not neccessarily bad - but a very big limitation in the current configuration - storage.

If I'm going to do all the thing's Sony is hinting at with ps3 WITHOUT a pc I'm going to need a LOT more storage than what they're offering or what any 2.5" drive plugged in to the thing can offer.

That's one seriously limiting factor in their plans.

Depending on your environment and Sony's plans, there are various solutions:

* If you have content on your PC, you may run a DLNA server to stream your media from there (controlled by PS3 over the net). The Windows Media Connect extension is said to be DLNA compliant. If PS3 contains Linux, then it can presumably mount a Windows folder too (running Samba client) just like how XBMC does it.

* Or if you prefer to centralize all your media on a (DLNA compliant) jukebox, you can google for them.

* Or just use the local PS3 hard disk and upgrade it as you run out.

Personally I prefer to store my family photos, videos, ... separately. They are all on my laptop now, occupying significant disk space. I don't mind offloading all of them to (one of) the above mechanisms if they are cost effective and easy enough for my family members to use.

This is all assuming that PS3 understands DLNA (which was mentioned a few times, also demo'ed on a PSP in CES, but not confirmed by any Sony officials yet).

Nesh said:
Difference is they arent refering to functions like spreasheets, word processing etc. They are refering only toi the functions such as movies, games, videos music etc. With other words they say that the PS3 will replace the PC in regards to these.

Says WHO?

YOU?

They clearly stated 'other PC functions'. They certainly ARE referring to functions such as spreadsheets, word processing, etc.

Otherwise, they would have just listed the functions that you gave and then had been done with it. Yet, they decided to go beyond that by saying "other PC functions".

Clearly they would like the PS3 to replace your web browsing, your word processing and your spreadsheet PC.

They are most certainly NOT attempting to pigeon hole the PS3 into a replacement just for audio and video downloads.

Primarily, because that makes no sense at all. How is audio and video downloading a positive for their system (over the PC), if the PC can do audio and video downloading in addition to web browsing, word processing and spreadsheet creation?

It's not. Sony's goal isn't to take away 'some' of the functions of the PC. What good is that? Consumers are still required to own a PC for the other additional functions, in which case the features added to the PS3 offer the consumer no additional benefit at all.

The PS3 needs to duplicate the majority of the functions of a typical consumer PC in order to provide enough value to justify its price and appear as a replacement for the PC.

Are you really trying to tell me that Sony doesn't want the PS3 to replace a typical consumer's PC as their primary internet device? Because this is exactly what they are hoping to accomplish. That you aren't paying $600 for a gaming console... you are paying $600 for a gaming console, a movie player, a web browser, a media center, a word processor and a spreadsheet maker.

Why on Earth would they be trying to push the PS3 as a computer (which they have said repeatedly), if they aren't trying to move into the web browsing/word processing/spreadhseet creating market?

The 360 is already a media hub, but they aren't babbling on about how it's "a computer" or will make PCs irrelevant.

Are you really trying to say that Sony's comments about how the PS3 is a computer, is only in reference to the fact that it can duplicate functions of a hacked Xbox or a 360?

TheChefO said:
Not neccessarily bad - but a very big limitation in the current configuration - storage.

If I'm going to do all the thing's Sony is hinting at with ps3 WITHOUT a pc I'm going to need a LOT more storage than what they're offering or what any 2.5" drive plugged in to the thing can offer.

That's one seriously limiting factor in their plans.

Huh?

Why would you? What "things" are you referring to? I'm just talking about how Sony wants the PS3 to replace the common consumer's household PC. And with it's current configuration, that is most certainly achievable.

The PS3 has more than enough storage to act as a web browser, a word processor, a spreadsheet creator, and most of the other typical functions of a home PC.

Will you be able to make the PS3 into a TIVO-like device as you can with a PC? No. But how many people actually have PCs that they use as TIVOs or DVRs? Compared to the population of everybody that owns a PC, I'd say the percentage wouldn't even register. (Less than 1%)

Sony isn't trying to sell the PS3 as a replacement for the "elite superstars" of computer entertainment who build their own DVR rather than purchasing one from their satellite or cable provider.

patsu said:
This is all assuming that PS3 understands DLNA (which was mentioned a few times, also demo'ed on a PSP in CES, but not confirmed by any Sony officials yet).

No.

Actually, the issue is whether or not the average consumer understands DLNA or anything you just wrote in your message, and whether or not the interface is transparent enough for them to take advantage of it in a usefull manner.

Frankly, most people don't need PCs. If you were to look at 95% of PC users today and what they are doing, it's email, Web, some document editing, photo/video/music editing/management. Most "applications" have moved online and work fine as long as you have a web browser. Joe Sixpack frankly doesn't need a PC with the ability to install native desktop apps for most of his needs.

In this regard, if a console can provide game playback, movie, photo, music, voip, data sharing, web browsing, email, and some rudimentary open-document format editing, it will satisfy the vast majority of the needs of the market. If there is a need for particular native apps, I'm sure console manufacturers can partner with individual software publishers for a port. For example, I could easily see Adobe porting Photoshop Elements or Photo Album onto PS3 Linux if they thought they could sell millions of shrink wrapped copies, especially since Adobe is fighting against built-in OS apps on Vista and OSX that duplicate much of their entry level software functionality.

This reminds me of those arguments over cell phone platforms, where arguments are made that "general purpose" powerful mobile phone operating systems are needed, when it turned out, 99% of people only wanted to make calls, send text messages, share photos, play puzzle games, and download ringtones/wallpaper. No one except rare enterprise users wanted "applications" for their mobile phones.

I switched from PC to Mac OS X and I lost almost no capability except for games so I keep my PC for gaming.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Says WHO?

YOU?

They clearly stated 'other PC functions'. They certainly ARE referring to functions such as spreadsheets, word processing, etc.

Otherwise, they would have just listed the functions that you gave and then had been done with it. Yet, they decided to go beyond that by saying "other PC functions".

Clearly they would like the PS3 to replace your web browsing, your word processing and your spreadsheet PC.

They are most certainly NOT attempting to pigeon hole the PS3 into a replacement just for audio and video downloads.

Primarily, because that makes no sense at all. How is audio and video downloading a positive for their system (over the PC), if the PC can do audio and video downloading in addition to web browsing, word processing and spreadsheet creation?

It's not. Sony's goal isn't to take away 'some' of the functions of the PC. What good is that? Consumers are still required to own a PC for the other additional functions, in which case the features added to the PS3 offer the consumer no additional benefit at all.

The PS3 needs to duplicate the majority of the functions of a typical consumer PC in order to provide enough value to justify its price and appear as a replacement for the PC.

Are you really trying to tell me that Sony doesn't want the PS3 to replace a typical consumer's PC as their primary internet device? Because this is exactly what they are hoping to accomplish. That you aren't paying $600 for a gaming console... you are paying $600 for a gaming console, a movie player, a web browser, a media center, a word processor and a spreadsheet maker.

Why on Earth would they be trying to push the PS3 as a computer (which they have said repeatedly), if they aren't trying to move into the web browsing/word processing/spreadhseet creating market?

The 360 is already a media hub, but they aren't babbling on about how it's "a computer" or will make PCs irrelevant.

Are you really trying to say that Sony's comments about how the PS3 is a computer, is only in reference to the fact that it can duplicate functions of a hacked Xbox or a 360?

Here we go again

1)I can ask you the same thing. Sais who? You?
The sure thing is it's not me. Its Sony.

2) Computer is a much broader word. Computer isnt necessarilly a PC.

3) Spreadsheet, word processing and the likes are optional possibilities. Sony isnt giving the appropriate attention.

4)The consumer will most definetely get a benefit by having an easily accesible device from his TV (not a monitor) specifically designed for media and entertainment. The benefit is there unless people are going to buy it as a PC replacement. But it is not a PC nor a PC replacement. Its a computer ENTERTAINMENT device.
You are trying to force the impression that Sony is trying to sell it as ageneral puropose PC no matter how absurd it is. Read 5) to see what you are saying.
Its like saying that a DVD player has no benefit over a PC because the PC can play DVDs, all video formats and do so much more.

Well DUH its an illogical comparisson.

5) So Sony is expecting all PC programs, all PC aplications that have been developed for PCs and available for years to become compatible on a PS3, and that all Software developers will start making programs for the PS3 instead of a PC and that someday even offices, universities and schools will prefer it over a PC? Do you understand what you are saying? Is Sony that stupid that they dont know this is impossible?

Thats the exact reason why Sony doesnt want the PS3 to be presented as a general purpose PC that is destined replace existing PCs and thats why Sony is marketing it as a computer entertainment device.
If they sell it as a PC replacement they are competing a market they have no chance to do well in. They arent targeting the PC market.
You dont have to be an Einstein to understand this.

Its not marketed as a computer device.
Its marketed as a computer entertainment device.

6)I am still waiting for those links

DemoCoder said:
Frankly, most people don't need PCs. If you were to look at 95% of PC users today and what they are doing, it's email, Web, some document editing, photo/video/music editing/management. Most "applications" have moved online and work fine as long as you have a web browser. Joe Sixpack frankly doesn't need a PC with the ability to install native desktop apps for most of his needs.

In this regard, if a console can provide game playback, movie, photo, music, voip, data sharing, web browsing, email, and some rudimentary open-document format editing, it will satisfy the vast majority of the needs of the market. If there is a need for particular native apps, I'm sure console manufacturers can partner with individual software publishers for a port. For example, I could easily see Adobe porting Photoshop Elements or Photo Album onto PS3 Linux if they thought they could sell millions of shrink wrapped copies, especially since Adobe is fighting against built-in OS apps on Vista and OSX that duplicate much of their entry level software functionality.

This reminds me of those arguments over cell phone platforms, where arguments are made that "general purpose" powerful mobile phone operating systems are needed, when it turned out, 99% of people only wanted to make calls, send text messages, share photos, play puzzle games, and download ringtones/wallpaper. No one except rare enterprise users wanted "applications" for their mobile phones.

I switched from PC to Mac OS X and I lost almost no capability except for games so I keep my PC for gaming.

QFT.

DemoCoder said:

Good post, but we all know that Sony will never get those apps on the PS3 in real life. I hope they could.

mckmas8808 said:
Good post, but we all know that Sony will never get those apps on the PS3 in real life. I hope they could.

Well, they could, but there is really no need. Good open source equivalents exist for most of the popular major PC apps. MS Office has about 9million times as many features as the home user needs.

The home user doesn't want to sit in their living room, hunched over a coffee table trying to do work on their TV. End of story.

scooby_dooby said:
The home user doesn't want to sit in their living room, hunched over a coffee table trying to do work on their TV. End of story.

But I would love to post with you guys here at B3D though. Yeah I'm lazy and I don't want to get up and go to the office, turn on my PC, and then login. It would be nice if I could click on links from here or game websites like IGN and watch the videos.

But too bad Quicktime and WMV's won't be on the PS3.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back