Sony Interview (Please Translate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tap In said:
see, that's where they lost me.

I'm just not buying into that strategy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see the PS name as a game console. they have a tough road to hoe to change that perception to an all-in-one machine IMO.

The PS2 was clearly a multi-entertainment device. The PSP extended that. PS3 is again there.

It's quite feasible someone would use a PS3 as their primary computer entertainment 'box' given everything it offers.

Tap In said:
yes, I thought of that too, but again, I'm already sitting at my PC (lways on), when I want to play a game then I fire up the gaming console.

True, but that's now. If your HDtv and computer monitor ever merge into one, things could change. Or you might sit behind the HDtv reading gamespot and watching some of its online video reviews, then posting comments on some 3D technique used in a new game here while your spouse is working on a Word document on the PC, whatever. There are plenty of scenarios possible. I already know many people who have a multi-media PC like setup where their main TV is actually a big widescreen computer monitor. The difference is disappearing, and such crossover functions are becoming more common.

I personally see myself browsing on the couch, videochatting with a few people at the same time, posting on webforums, and what not. As long as I have a big 1080p screen, why not? (I don't have one yet - we'll see how expensive they are by the time the PS3 is out ;) )

Titanio said:
The PS2 was clearly a multi-entertainment device. The PSP extended that. PS3 is again there.

It's quite feasible someone would use a PS3 as their primary computer entertainment 'box' given everything it offers.

Feasible, yes. But is it likely?

I would think someone would be more interested in a gaming device that not only plays movies, but can also record movies than they would a gaming device that acts as a psuedo-PC. It's perfectly feasible for such a system to be very successful.

That didn't stop the PSX from failing though.

I have to agree with the thought that it should be a game system first and foremost, and should be marketed as such. Trying to push the idea that it's not sends a mixed message about what it actually is.

Powderkeg said:
Feasible, yes. But is it likely?

Absolutely. In many homes a PS2 is the "primary computer entertainment device".

Powderkeg said:
I have to agree with the thought that it should be a game system first and foremost, and should be marketed as such. Trying to push the idea that it's not sends a mixed message about what it actually is.

It is being primarily pushed as a games player, I would say. That doesn't preclude them drawing attention to everything else it does, they'd be pretty poor salesmen if they did not.

Arwin said:
True, but that's now. If your HDtv and computer monitor ever merge into one, things could change. ...

yes, it may indeed change and change is painful. ;)

that is a bold move then if they anticipate that happening in the future and have taken a risk on it.

webTV? maybe the difference will be HDTV's will make it more convenient and easy to read. the privacy issue is still a factor however IMO.

Titanio said:

wha...? :oops:

wow, I'm a spoiled little American brat then I guess, because I never could imagine. :p

Tap In said:
that is a bold move then if they anticipate that happening in the future and have taken a risk on it.

Is including a web browser really a risk? It's an easy value-add for them. People spend a lot of time on the web at home, as much for entertainment as anything else, it makes sense to include it. It may not become a primary net access outlet for most, but I know I'd use it on the side while gaming instead of going back to my PC.

Tap In said:
wha...? :oops:

wow, I'm a spoiled little American brat then I guess, because I never could imagine. :p

If you look at how much time is spent with consoles in homes that have them versus other computing devices, you might find amount of time spent with them compares favourably or outweighs that spent in front of PCs. This was certainly the trend before the internet really exploded, and started clawing back time from the TV (and look at that! Suddenly PS3 has a web browser! ;)). There's a reason MS got involved in this space..they don't want the centre of gravity for computing in the home shifting permanently into a box with "Sony" on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
Is including a web browser really a risk? It's an easy value-add for them. People spend a lot of time on the web at home, as much for entertainment as anything else, it makes sense to include it. It may not become a primary net access outlet for most, but I know I'd use it on the side while gaming instead of going back to my PC.
yes, poorly phrased on my part.

What I meant to imply was it is risky if they are trying to market it as such. I think that it will probably be a forgotten bullet point somewhere down a long list by the time the machine is released and I'm betting that few people will actualy use it as such (compared to the install base).

I just think, when I read these interviews that there is too much going in too many directions, perhaps trying to justify the price point. I think it would make more sense to focus on the games and give more information about how the online gaming network will work with games, rather than MySpace.

Reading it agin, I suppose (as you said) that he was just answering a question as best he could. I think one thing that the competition did well leading up to its release was to focus on 2 core messages and repeated them constantly. Games and service, Games and service. I think Sony needs to focus its message.

Then again, maybe they aren't selling to people like me and they know what they're doing better than I do. ;)

edit:
Titanio said:
There's a reason MS got involved in this space..they don't want the centre of gravity for computing in the home shifting permanently into a box with "Sony" on it.

hey, you might be right. :)

I have my browser on at my computer which happens to be 2 feet from my HDTV and my X360. In fact I'm often actually browsing the internet (on my PC) while I'm waiting for an online match to start. so really I need both. :D

Tap In said:
What I meant to imply was it is risky if they are trying to market it as such. I think that it will probably be a forgotten bullet point somewhere down a long list by the time the machine is released and I'm betting that few people will actualy use it as such (compared to the install base).

I don't think you need worry about them marketing PS3 as a web browsing box ;) It's part of the functionality, but that's it.

Tap In said:
I just think, when I read these interviews that there is too much going in too many directions, perhaps trying to justify the price point. I think it would make more sense to focus on the games and give more information about how the online gaming network will work with games, rather than MySpace.

Reading it agin, I suppose (as you said) that he was just answering a question as best he could. I think one thing that the competition did well leading up to its release was to focus on 2 core messages and repeated them constantly. Games and service, Games and service. I think Sony needs to focus its message.

Well, he was specifically asked about the MySpace thing. But it's not difficult to see how elements of that community could be leveraged in an online gaming community. He said himself that really all they mean by that comment is leveraging the power of a network, to be more than the sum of its parts. I mean Singstar is probably their best example at the moment - it has some MySpace-ish elements with profiles etc. and that'll certainly add to the game.

Titanio said:

How many?

And how loosely are we going to apply the term "computer entertainment device"? My satellite receiver is programmable, has memory, and real-time access to a network where it can receive regular updates. Is that not a "computer entertainment device"? I only know of 1 person who has a PS2 but no digital cable or satellite receiver.

And if they don't have digital cable or satellite, what are the odds that they have a network connection for their PS2? If you take that away it's a game system that can play movies, but how many PS2 owners also have a DVD player?

In many homes it might be their primary video gaming system, but I wouldn't make the leap of calling it the "primary computer entertainment device."

It is being primarily pushed as a games player, I would say. That doesn't preclude them drawing attention to everything else it does, they'd be pretty poor salesmen if they did not.

I would say that as many times as they've flatly denied it's a gaming console and implied that it's much more or a completely different product that they've lost sight of what they are selling.

Titanio said:
Well, he was specifically asked about the MySpace thing. But it's not difficult to see how elements of that community could be leveraged in an online gaming community. He said himself that really all they mean by that comment is leveraging the power of a network, to be more than the sum of its parts. I mean Singstar is probably their best example at the moment - it has some MySpace-ish elements with profiles etc. and that'll certainly add to the game.

alright, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see how it's implemented. I may be surprised.

...But more emphasis on the gaming network and less phrases like "it's a computer" would suit them well IMO.

I guess I'm also a little frustrated that they have not yet explained in more detail exactly how games will work with the online component.

Powderkeg said:
How many?

And how loosely are we going to apply the term "computer entertainment device"? My satellite receiver is programmable, has memory, and real-time access to a network where it can receive regular updates. Is that not a "computer entertainment device"? I only know of 1 person who has a PS2 but no digital cable or satellite receiver.

And if they don't have digital cable or satellite, what are the odds that they have a network connection for their PS2? If you take that away it's a game system that can play movies, but how many PS2 owners also have a DVD player?

In many homes it might be their primary video gaming system, but I wouldn't make the leap of calling it the "primary computer entertainment device."

I wouldn't call TV computer entertainment as such, but maybe that is changing. I mean, videogames are closer to that definition, don't you think? Videogames alone might make a console the primary entertainment device in a home period.

I think it'd be interesting to compare the time spent with consoles versus PCs, whatever about anything else. You can be sure this has been of sufficient concern to PC-orientated companies, however.

Powderkeg said:
I would say that as many times as they've flatly denied it's a gaming console and implied that it's much more or a completely different product that they've lost sight of what they are selling.

I'm sure they've denied it is only a games machine. I think it's pretty obvious when Kutaragi says it's "not a games machine" he's considering it in the classical sense of a nintendo games console. It's clearly a games machine, that is clearly its primary intended use, and will be for most people - but it is also more.

I saw this post on GAF and this resonated with me.
I figured that since my mind is mushy, I would just post part of it which makes sense here.

WolfgangK
(Today, 06:35 AM)

The way he is talking about Live and the PC strategy by MS, is really a sorry mischaracterization. It's not about "needing" a PC as a part of a console strategy,as much as it is allowing users, to us a PC to connect themselves to the Live network and their Xbox games, while they're away from their Xbox. It is one, of a number of outlets, that MS wants you to be able to use to remain connected with your Live identity.

If Sony could find away to keep users connected with their network, and their games, even while they were away from the PS3, they'd do it in a heartbeat. But the fact is that MS is the only console maker with the existing framework to pull off something like Live Anywhere.
....snip...
so in the context of this interview Harrison tries to turn it around so that the PC is not needed for the full experience. I agree with this comment because I think Live anywhere is really an integrating feature and another reason why LIVE is so cool. It also reminds me why I wish Sony would talk more about their Online component WRT games and your user info/game interaction to see how it compares.

Also mentioned from that point is the possibility of PS3 connecting similarly with PSP, but that install base compared to PC is tiny obviously.

Tap In said:
so in the context of this interview Harrison tries to turn it around so that the PC is not needed for the full experience. I agree with this comment because I think Live anywhere is really an integrating feature and another reason why LIVE is so cool. It also reminds me why I wish Sony would talk more about their Online component WRT games and your user info/game interaction to see how it compares.

Also mentioned from that point is the possibility of PS3 connecting similarly with PSP, but that install base compared to PC is tiny obviously.

Well the interviewer did ask him about the whole PC thing too. But I do agree with your above statement.

Titanio said:
I wouldn't call TV computer entertainment as such, but maybe that is changing. I mean, videogames are closer to that definition, don't you think? Videogames alone might make a console the primary entertainment device in a home period.

Like I said, that depends on how you manipulate the definition of a computer, but if you are excluding products like programmable satellite receivers and DVR's and such then game consoles would win by default, since you excluded every device that competes with it.

It's like saying Game consoles are the primary gaming system of console gamers.

I think it'd be interesting to compare the time spent with consoles versus PCs, whatever about anything else. You can be sure this has been of sufficient concern to PC-orientated companies, however.

I doubt PC oriented companies are worried. At best the PS3 may become a good competitor to Apple, but it's never going to take on PC's head to head for the same reason Apple doesn't. Not enough support, not enough compatibility.

I'm sure they've denied it is only a games machine. I think it's pretty obvious when Kutaragi says it's "not a games machine" he's considering it in the classical sense of a nintendo games console. It's clearly a games machine, that is clearly its primary intended use, and will be for most people - but it is also more.

Clearly, but the question is, is that the message they are sending to consumers?

For gaming/technology geeks like all of us the intent might be clear, but to the relatively ignorant and often flat out dumb general public a $500+ price tag and "It's not a game machine" mentality in advertising and PR statements may very well make a lot of people think "Forget that, I just want a game console."

Arwin said:
True, but that's now. If your HDtv and computer monitor ever merge into one, things could change.

No it won't. First of all, people don't have computer desks in their living rooms betwen the couch and the TV. Secondly, if you merge TV and PC then anytime someone is using the PC, other people in the house can not watch TV, this a huge drawback. And the list goes on...and on...and on.

The PC will never be replaced, some people need to accept that reality, because it is a reality.

Powderkeg said:
It's like saying Game consoles are the primary gaming system of console gamers.

I did not eliminate the PC ;)

Powderkeg said:
Clearly, but the question is, is that the message they are sending to consumers?

For gaming/technology geeks like all of us the intent might be clear, but to the relatively ignorant and often flat out dumb general public a $500+ price tag and "It's not a game machine" mentality in advertising and PR statements may very well make a lot of people think "Forget that, I just want a game console."

I really don't think Joe Gamer follows every exec quote like we do here ;) Most people's exposure to "the message" is via direct advertising, and that's about it.

And the whole "I just want a game console" thing is exactly what consumers have not been saying in previous generations, tbh.

scooby_dooby said:
No it won't. First of all, people don't have computer desks in their living rooms betwen the couch and the TV. Secondly, if you merge TV and PC then anytime someone is using the PC, other people in the house can not watch TV, this a huge drawback. And the list goes on...and on...and on.

Other people can not watch TV ... that's the exact same argument as I gave in reverse, with your spouse using the PC. What if you can use your TV for browsing and your PC for watching TV? There's nothing weird about that. (I use my PSP a lot these days for browsing, it's just really convenient.)

Also these days laptops are all the rage. They're little more than keyboards with a screen attached, but many laptops are a bit more limited in terms of graphics capabilities (and gaming). It's not a far stretch to plug these into a HDtv when it so convenes. But if the PS3 is hooked up to the system anyway and all I want to do is browse or something similar, I could use that fine also.

I'm sitting here with an old little laptop on the couch in front of my TV where my PS2 is currently playing the latest OPM demo disk (Micro Machines v3 looks like a half-decent v3 remake so far). I never had a DVD player in my life, but I've been watching DVDs since ... the PS2 came out. Sure, I could well be the only one, but it's an example, anyway.

The PC will never be replaced, some people need to accept that reality, because it is a reality.

The PC doesn't have to be replaced. But it can change. A PS3 is a PC, after all. It just has a different processor and OS. But if web-applications become all the rage, or we get something similar that works cross platform (and really, we are still ever more moving towards this, make no mistake - standardisation and portability is becoming ever more important), then who knows where we will end up.

Say that the PS3 does get Linux by default. Say that people buy it for games alone, or maybe a few of them for BluRay, and even fewer because it can run Linux - if the PS3 is as successful as its predecessor, we would soon have 100.000.000 machines with Linux pre-installed in every home. Not only can it use the living room HDtv, but it can also use a great number of cheap flatscreen and even CRT monitors.

Finally, there's the multi-core convergence. The change from single-core to multi-core is a revolution. A processor like Cell can make more of it, because it was designed from scratch. Future x86 processors will have to reinvent themselves, and performance increase will come from other areas, and solutions will have to be found to make current software run well on them. Once that happens, the software will become more convenient for Cell like computers also.

Combine this with more and more services becoming available over the web, and things are really moving towards a possible change.

Even if that won't challenge the current WinPC one bit, it's as close a step to a change in the PC market as we ever got to one.

(Apart from all that, Sony gets a fiscal discount on PCs in Europe, which it would not get on a gaming machine).

Titanio said:
edit - I see how that translation is confusing. Spiegel's own translation ...

Doh. :D Missed that it had one. :oops: My German is pretty decent but can't beat the original eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back