Sony Interview (Please Translate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
scooby_dooby said:
The home user doesn't want to sit in their living room, hunched over a coffee table trying to do work on their TV. End of story.
If only someone could invent a wireless keyboard so I can lounge back on the sofa...

In all honesty Shifty Sony should (key word being should because Sony is usually too stupid to do these type of simple things) allow us to buy a wireless bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse to use on the PS3 right?

scooby_dooby said:
The home user doesn't want to sit in their living room, hunched over a coffee table trying to do work on their TV. End of story.

The statement is (fairly) true although a web browser will be handy to some in that scenario but it's hardly end of story.

In my experience many game consoles are relegated to Kid's bedrooms on a 14" portable TV, many of those kids also have PC's of some description, it's not a massive leap to realise that a PS3 with a cheap TFT could do High Res gaming and if sony were to provide the ability to run your basic Linux Office/Internet apps then both those devices could be rolled into one at considerably reduced cost.

There are an awful lot of people denying the basic plausibility of such a scenario by pointing out that yeah, you wouldn't do that on your main TV and a PS3 will never run all the apps they need, forgetting that people who frequent B3D are not really the main target for such a device. Sony don't have to be able to replace every use of PC's for the strategy to be successful and I don't think anyone is trying to suggest that Windows PC's will disappear overnight or even in the next 20 years.

mckmas8808 said:
In all honesty Shifty Sony should (key word being should because Sony is usually too stupid to do these type of simple things) allow us to buy a wireless bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse to use on the PS3 right?
I see no reason why they wouldn't follow Microsoft's direction in this regard. Xbox 360 works with any USB keyboard/mouse, including wireless ones.

Sis said:
I see no reason why they wouldn't follow Microsoft's direction in this regard. Xbox 360 works with any USB keyboard/mouse, including wireless ones.

WHAT?!?!:oops: Oh god so that really means Sony is not going to do it then. Just like how I still don't have a k/b for my PSP, I will never have a wireless one for my PS3.

Mckmas : I seeno reason why existing BlueTooth keyboards would go unsupported. It should just be a matter of installing the Linux driver.

I'll add that while we're dreaming, Sony should be aiming a bit higher than the norm. There was a developer conference years back, with a seminar on HCI (human computer interaction) run by Apple I think, where it was said of software design that if a mouse and keyboard is as good as we can get, we (software designers) might as well give up and go home. I do not believe these interface devices are the best possible method to do all things wth computers, so how's about Sony or some other PS3 developer give us some interface methods that don't need a desk+monitor+keyboard+mouse to use the software effectively, and enable productivity in the comfort of a livigin room with squishy sofa and large TV?

With EyeToy interaction, some software could be used in Minority Report style. Photo editing could consist of drag and drop effects; stretching rectangular selections over the images with thumb and finger being used to denote opposite corners of the selection; page layouts similarly could be done with grabbing hold of virtual objects to position them, as a could scripting with script objects for each line of code; music editing could allow you to draw pitch changes across a stave. The mouse isn't the most intuitive system for some interfacing. Control is hard - drawing natural images with a mouse is far from easy and pro's use a stylus. It's great for pixel accuracy and can't really be replaced where you need that. But there's occassions where simpler interfaces could be managed without the need for such an awkward device that dictates the user's position for ergonomic reasons. The PlayStation is supposed to be about having fun, which means having fun when you edit your digital photos and videos and create a virtual media scrapbook to host on your website. Having to sit at a desk to wield a mouse and keyboard necessary to achieve that isn't the most fun way to be creative. Wouldn't something like the Wiimote be loads better for web-browsing than a mouse, lying back on the couch ointing at the links and media clips you want?

For what PS3 is supposed to be doing, the traditional desk-based setup shouldn't be needed if software designers approach the HCI aspects of their applications from a living-room model rather than existing computer-desk model.

TheChefO said:
Not neccessarily bad - but a very big limitation in the current configuration - storage.

If I'm going to do all the thing's Sony is hinting at with ps3 WITHOUT a pc I'm going to need a LOT more storage than what they're offering or what any 2.5" drive plugged in to the thing can offer.

That's one seriously limiting factor in their plans.

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that as well as the removable hard drive within the PS3, you were able to use external USB Hard Drives as well? If that's not officially confirmed, I still don't see why that would be a problem if the internal drive is a standard PC drive.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/710/710286p1.html

Famitsu also scored commentary from Izumi Kawanishi, SCE's Software Platform Manager. One of Kawanishi's biggest revelations was that various generic devices can be connected to the PS3, and he noted that this will allow players to customize their machines to their own liking. Asked if the customization includes a television tuner, which would give the PS3 digital video recorder capabilities, he replied that this should be possible. He didn't go into specifics, so we'd advise against taking this to mean that you'll be able to record your favorite shows as soon as you pick up your PS3.

Considering you can attach memory card readers, wi-fi, mouse + KB, mp3 players, PSP's etc etc by USB I'd be amazed if external disk space isn't usable.

Shifty Geezer said:
With EyeToy interaction, some software could be used in Minority Report style. Photo editing could consist of drag and drop effects; stretching rectangular selections over the images with thumb and finger being used to denote opposite corners of the selection; page layouts similarly could be done with grabbing hold of virtual objects to position them, as a could scripting with script objects for each line of code; music editing could allow you to draw pitch changes across a stave. The mouse isn't the most intuitive system for some interfacing. Control is hard - drawing natural images with a mouse is far from easy and pro's use a stylus. It's great for pixel accuracy and can't really be replaced where you need that. But there's occassions where simpler interfaces could be managed without the need for such an awkward device that dictates the user's position for ergonomic reasons. The PlayStation is supposed to be about having fun, which means having fun when you edit your digital photos and videos and create a virtual media scrapbook to host on your website. Having to sit at a desk to wield a mouse and keyboard necessary to achieve that isn't the most fun way to be creative. Wouldn't something like the Wiimote be loads better for web-browsing than a mouse, lying back on the couch ointing at the links and media clips you want?

someone just needs to make a cheap (as in cost) version of the wacom cintiq tablet

Wireless keyboard really doesn't matter as sitting back on your couch with a keyboard and a mouse somewhere beside you is still a horrible set-up. Might work fine for a bachelor who doesn't want to leave his couch, but it's not something that would be at all desireable for households of people who regularly use and share the PC.

scooby_dooby said:

Define "work". How many people do "work" from home in a home office. Most people need little more than email,chat, browser to do "work". My mom has both a Web TV and a computer, and never uses the PC.

DemoCoder said:
Define "work". How many people do "work" from home in a home office. Most people need little more than email,chat, browser to do "work". My mom has both a Web TV and a computer, and never uses the PC.

Anything that requires signifigant user input, *most* people have CD burners, printers, digital camera's, and you just can't get around the comfort, flexibility and practicality of having a dedicated machine for those tasks as well as browsing, chatting etc.

I can see the living room PC concept being ok in a few very specific situations, but if it's family sharing the big screen in the living room it's a no go, if it's a lower income family with no HDTV it's a no go, if they do any meaningful amount of work which requires a proper computer chair and desk, it's a no go. When you consider all that and then realize this is supposed to be a games console which will presumably be tied up playing games for much of the time, it think it's pretty clear the PS3's 'pc like functions' would only really be suitable for a very small subset of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
Anything that requires signifigant user input, *most* people have CD burners, printers, digital camera's, and you just can't get around the comfort, flexibility and practicality of having a dedicated machine for those tasks as well as browsing, chatting etc.

The peripheral devices have nothing to do with the user input problem. Many people are in fact buying photo printers to which they can dock cameras or memory cards directly and print out photos without having to bother with a PC and photo editing software at all. One can burn CDs without needing a keyboard too. There are already CE devices which can do CE ripping and music library management without needing anything more complex than a wheel and a button. This is one of the things that pisses me off about the way Wintel specs work by pushing the PC as a hub model, instead of a point to point model like Firewire or BlueTooth. In a P2P model, the PC is just another consumer/producer and is not always needed. There is simply no reason a digital camera needs a PC in order to print, and in recent years we've seen this come to fruitition, taking an extra step of complexity out of the printing process for consumers. (Dock camera->see picture-hit print, vs dump pics to PC, load up in photo editor/wizard, go through numerous dialog boxes, then dump photo to printer)

I think you have an absurd idea of how much "work" the average person does on a PC at home besides browsing, communicating, and entertainment.

Besides which, no one is talking about eliminating the PC. We're talking about a living room device taking over the most common functions that the vast majority of people use computing devices for: communications, entertainment, and informationr retrievable.

You seem to think that adding email, chat, photos, video, browsing, music, et al to the console isn't something consumers would want, even though Microsoft is trying to sell the same thing today in the XB360 + MCE connector. The fact is, the living room is precisely where people want this content: home photos and video on the expensive screen, and music on the best sound system in the house.

Do they want to do spreadsheets in the living room? Probably not, oh well, the 0.1% of people who do home spreadsheets won't use the PS3 for it. On the other hand, the PC isn't exactly needed for those apps either. And as soon as most home users realized this, they'd stop paying exhorbitant prices for MS's bloated security-hole ridden hard-to-use software.

What PS3 really needs in order to succeed as the PC to replace PC, is a passthrough of TV tuner signal.

No, I don't mean PVR functions, but passthrough so that you can keep the PS3 on while watching TV programs. If there is an incoming VOIP call or e-mail, you'd be able to see a small inobtrusive icon and hear an audible signal notifying it.
You could then either switch completely to PS3 OS, or continue to watch TV while at the same time read the e-mail overlaid on topof the TV signal, or videotalk to a friend in a small overlaid window on top of the TV program.
Then only it could be an "on" device like a PC, instead of an "ON/OFF" device like a console connected to a family TV.

This all of course assuming most people have the PS3 connected to the family TV.
If you have an own monitor for the PS3 it's different.
................?
.........................!?!?!?
.............................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:
PSP!! What if you could use the PSP as a second screen even for voice/video calls etc.?!?
Instead of seeing those on your TV screen while watching a TV proggie it would be your PSP that notifies you of incoming calls and such.
That would need you to keep your PSP connected to the mains and on all the time, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem if it had a functional charging stand.

A question i've read that Bill gates wanted to run a windows version on Xbox360.
The dev team has say it's impossible.
WHy? and more why it should be possible on PS3 in a more effectiv'e manner?
At least 360 have 512 MB of ram usable for os (graphic don't cost a lot).

liolio said:
A question i've read that Bill gates wanted to run a windows version on Xbox360.
The dev team has say it's impossible.
WHy? and more why it should be possible on PS3 in a more effectiv'e manner?
At least 360 have 512 MB of ram usable for os (graphic don't cost a lot).
From my understanding it is due to compatibility with programs. They had a version of windows for Alpha a long time ago, but not all windows apps ran on it.
PS3 would have to have apps built for it too... Sony very well could have ppl working on it.

rabidrabbit said:
What PS3 really needs in order to succeed as the PC to replace PC, is a passthrough of TV tuner signal.
Very good point. PIP and screen overlay (genlock!) would be wanted to make it ideal.

Naboomagnoli said:
I may be wrong, but my understanding was that as well as the removable hard drive within the PS3, you were able to use external USB Hard Drives as well? If that's not officially confirmed, I still don't see why that would be a problem if the internal drive is a standard PC drive.

Good point - but with the vast amount of storage space that media (music/movies/games) take up, would it not have made more sense to include a standard 3.5 drive opening in ps3? This would not only have allowed more storage in that space (up to 750gb at the moment ;) ) but it would have allowed this space at a much cheaper price. All the while without needing and external storage device and keeping everything nice and clean from an av perspective (something which Sony has historicly respected).

Realistically I could see them coming out with a slimline raid storage device to sit underneath the ps3 if the demand for "ps3 media computer" gets large enough.

Wouldn't a Standard drive made the PS3 even fatter than it already is?
fragend013.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back