Sony's cooking something for GDC?

The ability of a developer to "blow away" their competition and truly impress has passed in my opinion. Perhaps a dev will prove this statement wrong, but IMO graphics have steadily improved so much over the past year and a half that the "WOW"-bullseye has narrowed to a very tiny dot that may be hit by a very talented and ambitious team. Most others will improve bits and pieces here and there, but will fall short of "WOW".

Closest "WOW" I've seen lately is BFBC, but even that fell short IMO. Significant improvement yes, but not enough to make me drop an extra $200.

You dont get wow anymore because everything's so incremental. And high end PCs have done it all before.

To truly get wow, you'd have to do away with PC games entirely..then you'd be wowed every console gen.

You dont get wow anymore because everything's so incremental. And high end PCs have done it all before.

To truly get wow, you'd have to do away with PC games entirely..then you'd be wowed every console gen.

I believe that the PS3 will allow things beyond today's current level of PC gaming. Now, in a year from now I think PC games will be better than ANYTHING the PS3 can produce. But I think the PC games that exist right now will be beaten by the PS3.

The Playstation 3 has some key advantages to most PCs. It has an awesome multi-core CELL PROCESSOR. It's going to be able to help with vertex work and geometry shading. Also, it's going to work with the RSX to pull of some amazing things.

I think Sony needs to show a REAL TIME clip of at least one game that is visually so stunning it blows away anything anyone has seen before.
That would give people a reason to pay the 499 or 599 for the PS3.
for a few ppl perhaps it would, but the problem is the current generation will only sell between 170-200 million consoles (split that amongst 3 players) if it plays out according to history.
what sony (+ nintendo + ms) want to do is expand that figure up to 300+ million
the way to do that is not with flashier graphics,( they've already got those 170-200million ppl already.)
but to make it appeal to the non-hardcore gameplayers.
this is what the wii is doing, + also what this home virtual world thingee has the potential to do as well. there is a huge market there 100+ million extra users, easy

Zed,

I disagree. I think that better graphics will attract more people to gaming. People love movies. When games start looking almost as good as a movie (for example Lair) I think people who were not even interested in gaming will start purchasing consoles.

EDIT: Is it possible they could put a RAM chip in a USB device so you could plug it in that way?

Yes, but it would probably do as much good as you trying to move earth by waving you hands, in essence not much. There is no valid method to increase the system memory on any of these new consoles.

This is what I want.

I want the PS3 to use almost all of it's RAM for games while a game is being played.

When a game is not being played I want the OS to have ALL the RAM and ALL the processing power.

EDIT: Is it possible they could put a RAM chip in a USB device so you could plug it in that way?

Babcat, what you want is a Cell-based, Blu-ray equipped workstation from IBM. The problem is, it would cost, say, $2000-3000, and Sony doesn't want to subsidize it for you without bundling it with a way to shove down your throat their "entertainment" and "lifestyle" and 4D etc. Live with it.

A game console is not a PRODUCT, or a MACHINE, like the PC. You don't BUY it and do whatever you want with it according to its technical specs. A game console is a MARKETPLACE, to which you are invited, and given the opportunity to buy the REAL products - games or entertainment - from the console vendor and the other companies he has allowed to the marketplace, the third parties.

Imagine an expensive shopping mall set up by a company - this is the console, created by the vendor. The company invites you in the mall by selling you the console. All the bells and whistles and avatars and wireless controllers and nice graphics are the effort they spend to make the shopping mall pleasant to you, so you will often go there, and spend money in all the shops and burger joints inside the mall (the third parties, the video distribution etc.). This is not YOUR mall. You can't, e.g. set up a picknick near the fountain, or play soccer in the corridors, or, god forbid, move in there and live on a bench. You can't open an "independent" shop by selling homemade icecream in the middle of the food court (a.k.a. "homebrew").

Zed,I disagree. I think that better graphics will attract more people to gaming. People love movies. When games start looking almost as good as a movie (for example Lair) I think people who were not even interested in gaming will start purchasing consoles.
mate, playing a game + watching a movie are completely different, it has nothing to do with the graphics, there have been video games that had graphics as good as films, cause they were films (thinking back to the advent of cd-rom adventure stuff from a decade ago that was in vogue then )
large things like cinematography / story etc, ie the story u construct is 99.9% of the time gonna be less than what someone can put on film
personally i have very little interest in games, say if GTA4 came out with realistic graphics would i buy a console + play it? no. in saying that, the wii is interesting, my gf is even also interested about it.
ps3 == no buy, except films, blu-ray is good but sony have failed here so far (though i admit programming the cell is sexy)
xb360, what do u offer me, like the ps3 a HDR yawnfest of crap, no sorry
wii, now ok its shit graphics but hey, its a laugh (from what i hear), we have a winner. i am actually thinking of buying it (which is crazy, i havent owned/played a tv console since atari2600).
whats the biggest show on american tv, american idol? whats a huge game from the last couple of years, guitar hero (honestly the game is crap but ive seen the videos ppl go wild over it (for some reason, heres me going, man if u spent those number of hours on it u could actually play the thing ), ppl dont give a moneys over graphics
for consoles to leave the niche, area + become mainstream stuff like the ps3 'home' is needed, i hope they pull it off, since until now their offerings have been pretty meager

Yes, but it would probably do as much good as you trying to move earth by waving you hands, in essence not much. There is no valid method to increase the system memory on any of these new consoles.

Why not suspend to the Harddisk?

Babcat, what you want is a Cell-based, Blu-ray equipped workstation from IBM. The problem is, it would cost, say, $2000-3000, and Sony doesn't want to subsidize it for you without bundling it with a way to shove down your throat their "entertainment" and "lifestyle" and 4D etc. Live with it.

A game console is not a PRODUCT, or a MACHINE, like the PC. You don't BUY it and do whatever you want with it according to its technical specs. A game console is a MARKETPLACE, to which you are invited, and given the opportunity to buy the REAL products - games or entertainment - from the console vendor and the other companies he has allowed to the marketplace, the third parties.

Imagine an expensive shopping mall set up by a company - this is the console, created by the vendor. The company invites you in the mall by selling you the console. All the bells and whistles and avatars and wireless controllers and nice graphics are the effort they spend to make the shopping mall pleasant to you, so you will often go there, and spend money in all the shops and burger joints inside the mall (the third parties, the video distribution etc.). This is not YOUR mall. You can't, e.g. set up a picknick near the fountain, or play soccer in the corridors, or, god forbid, move in there and live on a bench. You can't open an "independent" shop by selling homemade icecream in the middle of the food court (a.k.a. "homebrew").

Assen I find what your saying here a little funny..

Since when have you ever been given an invite for a mall and had to pay £300/400+ for it..??

In the previous generation we were talking a 100% difference in available memory. Witnessing games like God of War 2, I think the PS2 proved that capability for streaming data are more significant than available memory. We're getting wildly off-topic though.

Personally, I think there is a distinct possibility that in future games will have a little more memory available to them, as Sony figures out more efficient ways to handle the online features. But it will take a little while yet, I'm sure, considering their ambitions. I have thought about how the PSP has libraries that can easily be loaded independently and how the PS3 could work in a similar way, but you have to take account of that some of these libraries may grow in size before you allow a game to determine how many of those libraries are allowed to be pre-loaded during the game.

You could say though that having reserved this much memory, Sony has at least a theoretical chance to outdo Microsoft in terms of online support, at least as much as that is defined in terms of available memory for features rather than available funds. ;)

Assen I find what your saying here a little funny..

Since when have you ever been given an invite for a mall and had to pay £300/400+ for it..??

If you are refering to the PS3 you havent solely paied just to enter a mall anyways. You bought it for other things and with them you are getting a free invite to the "mall" where you can enjoy more for free. Which is a good think

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not suspend to the Harddisk?
Yes, this is the ideal solution IMo. Any game ought to be interruptable where the data is saved to HDD, and you can pick up where you left off - similar to handhelds. That'd have lots of positive benefits, not least being able to stop playing when you want, instead of waiting until a save point appears! With such a feature, when you want to drop out of a game to do networking stuff with virtual 3D worlds, getting lost in virtual streets looking for a virtual apartment, and spending virtual money on a virtual yellow taxi driven by a PS3 owner somewhere else in the world who interrupts your journey a couple of times to pick up illicit packages and shoot a couple of mobsters, you'll have all the PS3 resources available and won't need to impact on the game.

The OS reserved memory should be onyl for tasks you want to run concurrently with playing a game. That'll be messaging services, perhaps IO control (EyeToy control through OS), audio playback for custom tracks, broadcast LocationFree movies, and so forth. I can't see this functions requiring great gobs of RAM, and I've no idea what 32 MB of VRAM is reserved for! Seems like overkill to me.

That does sound like a good solution for this situation...
I don't know, maybe multitasking just is something Sony really want's to see on the PS3 I dunno?

Yes, this is the ideal solution IMo. Any game ought to be interruptable where the data is saved to HDD, and you can pick up where you left off - similar to handhelds. That'd have lots of positive benefits, not least being able to stop playing when you want, instead of waiting until a save point appears! With such a feature, when you want to drop out of a game to do networking stuff with virtual 3D worlds, getting lost in virtual streets looking for a virtual apartment, and spending virtual money on a virtual yellow taxi driven by a PS3 owner somewhere else in the world who interrupts your journey a couple of times to pick up illicit packages and shoot a couple of mobsters, you'll have all the PS3 resources available and won't need to impact on the game.

The OS reserved memory should be onyl for tasks you want to run concurrently with playing a game. That'll be messaging services, perhaps IO control (EyeToy control through OS), audio playback for custom tracks, broadcast LocationFree movies, and so forth. I can't see this functions requiring great gobs of RAM, and I've no idea what 32 MB of VRAM is reserved for! Seems like overkill to me.

Are there PSP games that let you quit to the menu, without losing your spot in the game? I like the suspend to disk idea. I just wonder at that point if the OS would have to be in control of something like that. It would seem kinda complicated, restoring the information back to ram, plus finding where you were on disk (for those streamed games). It will be nice to see where all this is headed. We have been given big dreams by Sony before...

Are there PSP games that let you quit to the menu, without losing your spot in the game?
No, but you can stop a game at any point switching off the PSP. With a console, you switch off and lose your place. The PSP isn't as advanced in letting you interrupt a game to enter the OS, and switch back again.
I like the suspend to disk idea. I just wonder at that point if the OS would have to be in control of something like that. It would seem kinda complicated, restoring the information back to ram, plus finding where you were on disk (for those streamed games).
finding where you were on disc is automatic in disk reads. You'd either need a full state saving, RAM+LS+Code positions, or maybe if games can be suitably structured to a Sony provide spec, a game save (character stats, position, enemy positions, etc.) is all that's needed. In that case you wouldn't continue exactly how you left off, but I doubt it would matter.

So, how about Sony's announcements @ GDC?:LOL:

Personally, I am kind of intrigued by the whole home idea. My 15yr. old daughter will be hyped about this I would imagine. If it is presented the proper way, it could really appeal to a wide range of viewers.

Looking forward to the specifics.

This thread has gone horribly off-topic. If I was a mod I'd prune away about half of it.

Anyway, Wednesday ought to be interesting. The specifics. It's fairly easy to speculate on what this might be, but the details might reveal us to have been pretty clueless :p

Back