Brothers in Arms Exclusive PS3?

Shifty Geezer said:
As for can games communicate the horrors of war, I don't imagine so. Presenting it realistically would firstly make people sick, and then they'd get used to it. There's loads of content on TV that once upon a time wouldn't have been shown for being offensive or disgusting which now makes common viewing without people batting much of an eyelid. And wargames are used effectively to get modern soldiers used to the idea of killing people where naturally human beings have an aversion to that, as found by research into the number of soldiers that, for example, wouldn't fire their gun at an enemy charging them. I think an occassional experience like 'Saving Private Ryan' does a great job of communicating certain realities, but if trying to present those realities becomes a mainstream revenue source for a developer with sequel after sequel, their audience will become very desensitized. By "Realistc Wargame 4" seeing your friends gunned down and in agony calling out for their mothers and putting a bullet through their head to put them out of their misery will just be a common experience. In fact the gamers would likely save the bullet to shoot a baddy as it's only a computer sprite and they want to win the game, not win some virtual morality award and lost the game as a result.

You have to start somewhere. It will always be the devs that deliver that story best that make the most impact. Obviously just by nature the fact that graphics of tomorrow are getting so realistic, games in turn will become what you said won't happen. Storyline will become more needful and wanted. It's just human nature.

People don't want realistic looking people that walk and act naturally with underdeveloped storylines in all games. Script writers from Hollywood will most definitely be getting more jobs in the videogame industry thanks to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I predicte more games like Gran Theft Auto: VC and SA, God of War, MGS 3, etc that makes you care somewhat about the storyline will play more of a role next-gen.

mckmas8808 said:
This is F'ing Bullshot!! People like you need to be making and designing WWII games. If WWII games made me think about ACTUAL real events and consequences then I would feel the characters much more.

And with the facial detail of next-gen games they could actually make me cry like I did when I was 12 when I seen Aeris die. I'm too old to be crying to these low level non-mature games.

It's BS that game designers aren't either allowed or won't take the risk in doing exactly what you said and what.:devilish:

Well first we need to get you some adult classes ;) *joking*

There are FPSs like you described already out (Halo 2, Half Life). But games like BIA and COD are catering to an entirely different demographic. These games are all about action packed gameplay. Any excessive character building/cutscenes would break the flow too much IMO.

Hardknock said:
Well first we need to get you some adult classes ;) *joking*

There are FPSs like you described already out (Halo 2, Half Life). But games like BIA and COD are catering to an entirely different demographic. These games are all about action packed gameplay. Any excessive character building/cutscenes would break the flow too much IMO.

Well then it's time for them to make new franchises that can cover character building and have deep inspired Kojima like cutscenes. And they can still have the action packed games like COD and BIA too at the sametime of course.

According to the TXB forums this is what Randy Pitchford had to say about the video:
I'm noticing a lot of debates about the assets that have been released and whether or not they differ from one another.

I wanted to say a few words about the various assets you are seeing.
You can help pass along the word...

Short Story: BiA Hell's Highway isn't done. There are about 40 to 50 man years of work left to do. Expect things to change. Because things change, expect to see differences in the assets that are released. The order the assets are released isn't necessarily the order that they were created in.

Longer Story:
A lot of the early stuff we've shown, starting at the Gearbox Liberation Party last year and even heading into today, is from earlier source and partially finished or unfinalized content - proof of concept assets, proof of concept game play footage, proof of concept technology, etc. There are a lot of aspects to development of this game - a lot of people are involved and a lot of complex work is spread out among them. Because of that, you may notice some differences and notice things changing in the stuff that is released as the game development continues. That's natural and even cool to see the different things going on as we make the game. For example: The footage on IGN is using stuff that was developed using similar assets and techniques that were used in the proof of concept video we showed at the Liberation Party, but not all of those assets match exactly where the game is today and what will be shown in the E3 demo.

The screenshots on the teaser site + the screenshots that have been released to magazines are the closest examples to current look and feel in real-time in the game and engine.

The general trend is that things get better.

The screenshots are pretty amazing looking. We're really proud of them. They're even closer to what current look and feel is like in the game in real time. Still, we have a lot of work to do and have a lot that we want to see get better. Thanks for spending time on the Gearbox forums and for telling us what you think and what you're noticing. There is a lot of stuff in the assets we've released that isn't finished. I noticed some folks calling attention to things they are noticing that aren't finished. Thanks for caring so much! Thanks for supporting us as we work hard to finish.

Yes - The video is cool. The folks that worked on that content put their hearts into it and it shows. Still, expect that there are going to be differences between the earliest footage and where things land.

In just over a week, I'm going to be demonstrating the game in real time with Jeramy, Brian, Mikey, Colonel Antal, other members of the Gearbox team and our friends at Ubisoft.

We're really excited to show off what the current state of the game is. We can't wait.
The team has been working exceptionally hard leading up to the show. Everyone is super committed and very proud of the game.

The E3 demo will be most up-to-date look at the game that the public can see.
But, we're not done with the game yet.

We are very happy with where we are. It's really exciting to be on the vanguard of real next-generation gaming.

But, we are also far from satisfied and know there is a lot of work to do.

Please enjoy the assets that have been released.

But please remember that a lot will change.

Very, very soon after E3, we'll release some footage in high definition of the demo. We look forward to reading the forums and seeing all the chatter about that, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
That video is amazing. I can't wait to see what these guys have to show at E3. It's a stunning looking game, and the physics/breakable objects and that explosion is incredible. I'm not into squad based games, unless it's a squad that does not require commands to advance, but with this game, I'm intrigued in trying it out.

Edge said:
That video is amazing. I can't wait to see what these guys have to show at E3. It's a stunning looking game, and the physics/breakable objects and that explosion is incredible. I'm not into squad based games, unless it's a squad that does not require commands to advance, but with this game, I'm intrigued in trying it out.

Check out this one:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/brothersinarms3/index.html

The first 2/3rd's is the same, but it has about 45 seconds at the end which is new footage, shows off some of the cloth physics, more smoke effects, daytime lighting, and grass. Looks really really nice.

Thanks for that scooby_dooby, you're a good man.

That tank looks impressive. The way it crushes the jeep is quite advanced.

A lot more detail in that cloth simulation over the current generation also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edge said:
Thanks for that scooby_dooby, you're a good man.

That tank looks impressive. The way it crushes the jeep is quite advanced.

A lot more detail in that cloth simulation over the current generation also.

No problem bro. Ya, I'm even more impressed now that i've seen some of the other effects, just need some gamespot insider to download and host the HD version

Oh well, xboxyde should have it before tomorrow :devilish:

Really nice quality trailers are up at game trailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/

I didn't watch the QT HD version, i recommend watching the Windows versions, they looked really good. Also, now seeing it for the first time in good quality, it doesn't look like CG to me at all.

Synergy34 said:
Really nice quality trailers are up at game trailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/

I didn't watch the QT HD version, i recommend watching the Windows versions, they looked really good. Also, now seeing it for the first time in good quality, it doesn't look like CG to me at all.

You do know that the first War video up there is Medal of Honor: Airborne right?

Synergy34 said:
Crap, I hit the wrong thread. It was early :) Still nice though

Oh yeah it's freaking lovely. Wonder if it's real-time. I guessing it is. Either that or that's what the game will look like upon release.

Back