2nd gen Xbox360 hitting hard! Test Drive unlimited @hexus

superguy

Banned
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5233

When you hit the streets of Oahu is when you fully start to realise just how incredible Test Drive Unlimited looks. In fact, I’m almost at loss to try and get across just how gorgeous the environment is… all I can say is that the screenshots, as amazing as they are, just REALLY don’t do the game justice. Graphically, Test Drive Unlimited could well be the most visually jaw-dropping bit of software on the Xbox 360 we’ve yet seen. It really is that good. Sure, with this being early playable code, there was the odd glitch here and there, but we’ve still got a few months of development time to be spent on the game, so the odd texture flicker here and there will be ironed out but even in its current state Test Drive Unlimited is gob smackingly good to look at.

Yes, that’s right. I’ve sat down and taken Test Drive Unlimited for a test drive, and, if this very early playable code is anything to go by, Atari have an awesome game on their hands and PGR3 had better keep an eye on the mirror as Test Drive Unlimited is going to blow it away.

tdu_small_19.jpg

tdu_small_51.jpg

tdu_small_14.jpg

tdu_small_20.jpg

Claim it "blows away" PGR3...

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphically it doesn't blow away PGR3, but it's very nice..and I definitely think they have the right idea as a racing game.
It sounds like the game Tokyo Xtreme Racer should be (and very might well be..haven't heard about next gen version of TXR since e3).

Well the roadside vegetation look nice. And if it does 60fps + less shimmering + 4xAA I'd say it has a chance of outdoing PGR3...

Yep, that’s right, the entire island of Oahu will exist as an online world for you to live in, cruise around in your latest motor, checking out what other players are driving and then challenging them to races. You can even go to online clubs on the island and just chill out, perhaps smack talking with other drivers before taking the argument out on the road. Unlike PGR3, there’s no lobby system here. This is a persistent online world for you to drive around in at your leisure. Of course, until you’ve been playing for a while you’ll still find some of the island closed off, but that’ll only spur you on to get more dosh, respect and notoriety to get access to those ‘elite’ areas.

That sounds quite interesting :)

I dont know why people think it doesn't look good..I think it looks pretty awesome.

I dont know if it's the motion blur or what that makes it look cool to me..

60fps, hot damn at long last. I'm not complaining about 30fps its just I've been waiting to see more 60fps game son 360. Looking good as long as I ignore the AF.

superguy said:
Claim it "blows away" PGR3...

The last Test Drives weren't fun at all. In fact, as far as gameplay concerned, they were horrible. So unless they can improve their gameplay, it doesn't matter if it looks better than PGR3.

I think some people need to find better things to complain about. This game looks nice, but we won't know how it plays until its released oviously.

Qroach said:
I think some people need to find better things to complain about. This game looks nice, but we won't know how it plays until its released oviously.

I don't think of it has a complaint.More a principal thing.

Is the lack of AF in 360 games a dev choice? Or is there another reason?

read this a few days ago.
If you read it through, it comments that the game looks significantly better in motion than screen shots. It's the whole "they don't do it justice" line... Honestly I think the screenshots are already amazing, so hopfully this is going to be an absolute gem of a game to behold in motion.

As for not having anisotropic filtering, the thickness of those road markings do not change as they get further into the distance. If this were trilinear filtered, they would look utterly horrible and would dissapear long before the horizon. this picture here definitly shows good use of AF, and thats an older picture.

The developers last racing game was NFS: porsche 2000, I feel it would be my pick as the best half-way arcade/sim racer ever.

The motorbike shots look utterly awesome too.

mrdarko said:
Is the lack of AF in 360 games a dev choice? Or is there another reason?

Here's another question... no matter what the answer is, where you going to purchase the game?

wait until you guys see the 720 direct feed footage for this game, this game was ahead of PGR3 a long time ago..

Qroach said:
Here's another question... no matter what the answer is, where you going to purchase the game?

The lack of AF wouldn't stop me from buying a game.(If it was good)

I'll do a car analogy.(This was true 5 years ago!)

I buy a £25k bmw but have to pay £200 extra for a cd player.

Or

I buy a £10k ford fiesta and get a cd player standard.

I'd still buy the bmw,but it should have a cd player standard.

Am i making sense?

Qroach said:

Of couse not. People who make such comments aren't interested in the games themselves but rather in making you upset by pointing out flaws in games on your favorite console. :D

Back