Test Drive: MMO?

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Even with all the bugs (the game is still months from the release) Test Drive Unlimited really impressed me at X05. Not that it looks really incredible, but this is finally a new type of racing game ! One could call it a MMO-racing game, where thousands all race on the same island of Oahu. Each player can create his own character, and then buy a car, a house and can get the latest trendy clothes at a shop. Money allows you to buy new cars, but you'll also need to get a bigger house to be able to park them all. The game itself allows you to defy anyone by simply flashing your headlights, and then creating the type of game you want. You can for example choose to go from one point of the island to another, and let the players create their own way to there, by using the roads or going straight through the fields if they want to. If done right this could be a lot of fun, and I'll try to follow this game's development as well as possible. Stay tuned !
This sounds VERY interesting! A virtual world where you can challenge anyone to a race at any time? Thousands of drivers on a single "island" (=server)? Although a very tricky/demanding game design (what do you do when 100 people try to get to the same store? LAG!!) but this could be fun and be a niche where they can compliment PGR3 and NFSMW.

84MB Hi Resolution Video.

Wow, never heard anything about that. Sounds like what I've been wanting... Tokyo Highway Battle without the Highways :p

The MMO part has been out there for a while, far before X05, as far as I can remember. Anyway, I'm not too impressed by this, BUT if it was a SEGA Rally -esque game... Mountain racing and drifting in an MMO world is very VERY appealing. DRIFT kimochii~~!! LOL

I can already forsee "Pink Slip Races". I think this has the potential to be real cool. I'm going to have a hard time being beaten though, by a 10 year old that knows the track like the back of his hand and calls me a "n00b" and a "F@G" after he "PWNS" my "a$$" in the race. I still get satisfaction from constantly killing those type of 10 year olds in Halo 2 though :devilish:

I wonder how they're going to deal with all the latency issues. I figure a racing game needs a pretty low latency in order to work well, and MMO's usually have to tolerate connections with latency up to 500ms.

Back