HEXUS preview Gears Of War

That's a female I don't wanna mess with. :oops:

Wonder how they procreate and feed the babies.

they are so gentle ladies....

this is a smile :LOL:
gow2tp9.jpg

Good to see that this game plays well, I was always a bit concerned that it would be all graphics and no substance... But if it's as fun as they say, it's good news.

I wonder if the game would be longer or "more detailed" if it were on a higher density disk like BR or HD-DVD?

Anyone know what size the game is?

I wonder if the game would be longer or "more detailed" if it were on a higher density disk like BR or HD-DVD?

Anyone know what size the game is?

this don't matter in my opinion
large part of the disc space of the console games are from prerendered videos and uncompressed audio

UE3 works already well with procedural textures, (see roboblitz, it uses 1 GB of textures, but the game is only 50 MB and without losses of quality)

so a game as Gears of Wars will neve need a BR or HD-DVD, eve an immense game as Oblivion, will stay easly on a single Dvd, and Oblivion is VERY big, thanks to data compression.

Supposedly there was a hacked version of a prebuilt on the internet and it was aroud 7 Go.
On a BRD, the game would probably last longer if Epic had a bigger budget and a larger team working on it, I guess.

so how much does polygon cost more than normal maps? i can c a heavy overuse of normal maps to a point it's too obvious.

The leap between this and last year’s graphical offerings is huge, with the Unreal 3 Engine proving the Xbox 360 is only limbering up to its true next generational potential. Because here’s the kicker, Gears of War feels and plays differently from anything you’ve tried before. It has its roots in the strategic squad based warfare genre, but has grown that seed at an accelerated rate and brings its own special blend of gameplay mechanics to the fore.

Calm before the storm

Forget comparisons to the other squad-based games like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six. Epic Games has given the warfare genre a much needed kick up the backside, allowing arcade styling to stick the boot into heavy handed realism while a killer control system looks on. You can’t run around relentlessly shooting – your head will be quickly detached from your body. You do need to keep moving, as the tide of battle moves quickly, but it specifically cover you need to be moving to.

Weapons selection was mapped to the D-Pad, with shotgun, rifle, pistol and grenade all within easy reach. The grenades, whose throwing arc is designated by a neon targeting indicator, can be doubled up as a melee weapon, extended spikes on each meaning they can lodged into the chest armour of a foe before the pin is pulled. It’s not known yet if players have a few seconds to try and rip free the explosive, but if it’s like the chainsaw attack, then the first successful tag is usually fatal.

I could discuss war stories until the game’s release date in November, and we haven’t even mentioned the single player campaign which you can play cooperatively with a friend. Like I said, Christmas 2006 and is going to be an extremely good time to be an Xbox 360 owner, with Gears of War promising to the icing on a very large, very delicious Xbox 360-shaped cake

http://www.oxm.co.uk/articles/features/3rd_person/gears_of_war_multiplayer_majesty!

Well it looks like GOW is getting some pretty good (p)reviews... so it can not be all that bad? :)

In our judgement the second post of Hexus material abused "Fair Use" rather severely, and has been deleted.

Well it looks like GOW is getting some pretty good (p)reviews... so it can not be all that bad? :)

Yes, from what I've seen I still conclude for myself that multiplayer looks kinda boring.. kinda last minute effort. The people who played it most all seem to think it's great/fantastic/whatever.

On a BRD, the game would probably last longer if Epic had a bigger budget and a larger team working on it, I guess.

Cliff pretty much implied they were time-constrained. I got that feeling anyway from the behind-the-stage-pass video. Things weren't quite done and only a few months ago. Reminded me of Halo:CE kind of.

Yeah, and you'd better be turned on right away, cause you don't want her to help you with that mouth

What if I like it rough? :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly there was a hacked version of a prebuilt on the internet and it was aroud 7 Go.

that was bogus

disk size has nothing to do with game play length... even the 10-12 hrs quoted for this game was based on people who were nearly experts... regular first time players will most likely find it much more challenging/time consuming.

disk size has nothing to do with game play length... even the 10-12 hrs quoted for this game was based on people who were nearly experts... regular first time players will most likely find it much more challenging/time consuming.

Hey, I don't mind 10-12 hours. I mean... that's pretty much like Halo's length (first time through, no 1337 skillz in use), and they used a lot of repeated rooms.

Hey will they say anything about the gameplay? I only hear about the graphics. They didnt even have enough energy to judge the gameplay from their visual excitement. :p

Back