Driving after drinking

CMAN

Regular
I have driven for the first time after I've been drinking. Granted I wasn't drunk, and I was scared the whole time home (less than 5 miles). There were hot girls though where I was though. 8)

I know. I was honestly ok. I felt bad for the other guys who drank twice as much as me though. :?

I've done it once. Its odd though. Because the person following me ( a friend we had to many people for 1 car ) couldn't believe how well i was driving. But i only did it that time because they were really really drunk way worse than me

CMAN said:
I know. I was honestly ok.

Problem is that you're never as ok as you think you are.

So far I've been lucky and I haven't gotten that dreaded phone call about a friend of mine who always says the same thing, but in fact he's never ok.

I have a friend who was in a coma after drink and driving accident. Took like 2 years to get out and a year to recover.

Another one clip the side of the road and flipped and totaled his car, lucky he wasn't hurt as badly.

"Drunk" is hard to describe/explain for me -- I never really know if I'm "very tipsy" or "drunk".

I drive (alone) while "very tipsy" quite often. "very tipsy" would mean I'd fail a breath test in this case.

A school friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver. To quote an Australian ad campaign "If you drink and drive you are a bloody idiot".

jvd said:
I've done it once. Its odd though. Because the person following me ( a friend we had to many people for 1 car ) couldn't believe how well i was driving. But i only did it that time because they were really really drunk way worse than me

Closest to that I've ever done is driving on three pints of stella. Which is quite substancial, however I'd had those drinks 5 hours prior to driving, and had eaten twice since. I'm also not a small guy and the legal limit here (~1 pint of stella airtois) is set based on the lowest common denomenator.

Still I try not to drink at all if I'm driving.

I would like to say that anyone who is caught after drinking and driving ought to just be taken to the side of the road, held down, and shot in the back of the head - no ifs or buts, just fuckin shot.

Now before people think I'm even nuttier than before :D, in reality though, I'd settle for pinching these peoples' drivers license for life, a really nice and stiff fine, and quite possibly a couple years in jail. Therapy for the addicts, etc.

Drunk (or just "tipsy") drivers have killed SO many people and ruined SO many lives, it's unbelievable how so many people can be so irresponsible that they still drive with alcohol in their bodies knowing this.

Guden, you're a bit extreme. At least 50% of all drivers drive worse sober than I do drunk. What should we do about these? You know, "cool" 18 yrs. old thinking they're race drivers or the 70 yrs. old driving 60 kmh on the highway in the left lane? I'd personally take their license first. Because they're the actual cause for most accidents, though not so obvious.

_xxx_ said:
At least 50% of all drivers drive worse sober than I do drunk.
Drunk drivers always think they drive well in the same way as alcoholics don't think they have a drink problem.

_xxx_ said:
Guden, you're a bit extreme.
No, I honestly believe people who drink and then drive are the scum of the earth. They're even worse than smokers in my book, and I would love nothing better than to go at some drunk drivers with a baseball bat to teach them a lesson or two about responsible human behavior.

Bull... SHIT.

I'd personally take their license first. Because they're the actual cause for most accidents, though not so obvious.
In Sweden, about every third accident is caused by alcohol- or drug use by the driver, and about every fifth vehicle-related fatality. That's a horrendously large piece of the pie.

Being a bad driver is one thing - and both young and old drivers are a problem - but deliberately incapacitating yourself with alcohol (or drugs for that matter) and then getting in behind the wheel is something entirely different. That shows severe disrespect for other peoples' well-being, and a stunning level of selfishness on behalf of the drunk driver!

Guden Oden said:
Bull... SHIT.

No. I drive some 2000 km a week since years, in ~500 hp cars on the road, race tracks etc. :)

I don't drink and drive, but I did it a few times (alone, on a closed track) just for the heck of it. I surely drove worse then normal, but still it was ok compared to those people.

I'd personally take their license first. Because they're the actual cause for most accidents, though not so obvious.
In Sweden, about every third accident is caused by alcohol- or drug use by the driver, and about every fifth vehicle-related fatality. That's a horrendously large piece of the pie.

Seen that "not so obvious"? Someone driving 60 kmh in the left lane in front of you for half an hour where you'd be driving 150 in order to make it to that very important meeting or whatever is sure to drive lots of people crazy, make them do some stupid things like overtaking on the right lane, coming too close and not being able to slow down fast enough when the guy in front kicks the iron, etc. But these people (the slow ones) will NEVER be labeled as the source of the trouble. Ever. Although they actually indirectly are.

Being a bad driver is one thing - and both young and old drivers are a problem - but deliberately incapacitating yourself with alcohol (or drugs for that matter) and then getting in behind the wheel is something entirely different. That shows severe disrespect for other peoples' well-being, and a stunning level of selfishness on behalf of the drunk driver!

I agree 100%. That's got nothing to do with what I said above, though.

davefb said:
related tale......
http://society.guardian.co.uk/localgovt/story/0,7890,1508860,00.html

__xxx__ do you take insurance when your on the track after drinking. because i'd have thought theres no way it'd be valid if you had drunk.

No, it was in private with friends. And I drank only twice during those occasions, not too much as well and I drove rather carefully. I'm not suicidal after all :)

EDIT:
I was just curious how much impact alc does have on my reactions. What I found out is that my reactions were not much worse than normal, but my sight was kinda like in a tunnel and I processed the optical informations slower.

<sigh>

One of the saddest things to me is human beings inability to learn from other human beings mistakes, there's this stupid "You never learn until it happens to you" mentality. :(

I'm not singling anyone out with this, I'm as guilty as the next guy if not guiltier....I ripped half my bloody face off and it didn't teach me. :oops:

Back