Ken Kutaragi Interview by Hiroshige Goto (PC Wach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mckmas8808 said:
if your PS3 is switched on at home, it can be a media server to your PSP on the other side of the planet. Now that is incredibly cool. I could sit here in LA and navigate the data which is stored on my PS3, and download music and other data off my PS3, onto my PSP.

Notice what he said "music and other data" I'm sure him omitting video was not a mistake.

It's not that it's impossible to download DVD video, just impractical. Streaming it on the other, is pretty much impossible.

And, honsetly, who leaves their PS3 on while they travel around the world???

Hey thanks for explaining that. Hey scooby Sony has been saying the online will be the DNA of the PS3, so I guess keeping your PS3 on to tap into with your PSP will be a regular thing to do. I know I will when I get one. Sony just needs to give me a HDD standard so I can spend more money on games. :devilish:

Hey guys so if you are saying downloading and movie is not possible from PS3 -> PS3, then can you explain what Phil Harrison is talking below.
Downloading movies should really be no problem. They can offer a 1-2GB sized downloads in 480p, and that wouldn't be too bad. You'd get a pretty much a DVD quality movie (or slightly below that quality) for less money, and not too much waiting.

And, honsetly, who leaves their PS3 on while they travel around the world???
What he's describing is the same thing as LocationFree TV, that they have. You have a home server device, and a portable device that you use to watch the streamed program. Server is scaling down, encoding and sending the stream through the internet, portable device uses WiFi to receive it anywhere where there's WiFi available.

mckmas8808 said:
Hey thanks for explaining that. Hey scooby Sony has been saying the online will be the DNA of the PS3, so I guess keeping your PS3 on to tap into with your PSP will be a regular thing to do. I know I will when I get one. Sony just needs to give me a HDD standard so I can spend more money on games. :devilish:

Would u care to explain to me how you belive the movie watching will work ?

Well ok. People will have videos/movies on their PS3 HDD exactly like they do on memory stick pro duos now. You pull out your PSP, connect to the internet using lets say the Hotel's WiFi connection. You connect to your PS3 at home, go to the spot where your videos/movies are stored, select it to start downloading.

mckmas8808 said:

Well ok. People will have videos/movies on their PS3 HDD exactly like they do on memory stick pro duos now. You pull out your PSP, connect to the internet using lets say the Hotel's WiFi connection. You connect to your PS3 at home, go to the spot where your videos/movies are stored, select it to start downloading.

And when do you watch the video ?

also when do you convert the video to a szie that will play on the psp ?

jvd said:
And when do you watch the video ? also when do you convert the video to a szie that will play on the psp ?

Well not to get smart with you jvd, but you watch the video when its finished downloading. And you convert the video using your PC with one of many programs that are out today for the PSP.

Go get PSPVideo9 convert it and save it on your memory stick duo. Stick the memory stick duo in the PS3 and upload it onto the PS3 before you leave or whenever you want to.

And when do you watch the video ?

also when do you convert the video to a szie that will play on the psp ?
JVD, read my post above. LocationFree TV type of thing is obviously what Phil Harrison has in mind on relation of PS3 -> PSP.
PS3 would convert and serve the video in the PSP format.

Well not to get smart with you jvd, but you watch the video when its finished downloading. And you convert the video using your PC with one of many programs that are out today for the PSP.
When ? A few hours after you start downloading ?
How many people are going to do this ?

Now how about video you'd want to watch on your ps3 ? In hd res ? Tell me how it would work that you'd get a video from me at that res ?

jvd said:
You watch those streaming videos on gamespot/ign few hours after you start downloading?

Yeah, you leverage the power of the Cell to downsample the resolution and recompress to a streaming format in realtime. That or Cell storage automatically resamples and recompresses all you videos offline, maintaining seperate files for each native resolution. Less computationally intensive, but lots of disk space.

one said:
jvd said:
You watch those streaming videos on gamespot/ign few hours after you start downloading?

No but gamespot has a much higher upload rate than my home cable network .

And the res is much much smaller

So is kk going to come to my house and lay out the wiring for a fast t3 connection and foot the monthly costs too ?

edit , you guys also run from answering my question about playing media on the ps3 from a friends ps3 , 1:23 min trailer of the darkness is 100 megs at 720p

Using that figure at 30 mins you'd get around 2800 megs of data . Who is going to want to download that from a friends ps3 across town ? The best uploads i've seen are 1mb that wont be a fun download . Even with fiber that is only 5mb

jvd said:
one said:
jvd said:

No but gamespot has a much higher upload rate than my home cable network .

And the res is much much smaller

So is kk going to come to my house and lay out the wiring for a fast t3 connection and foot the monthly costs too ?

edit , you guys also run from answering my question about playing media on the ps3 from a friends ps3 , 1:23 min trailer of the darkness is 100 megs at 720p

Using that figure at 30 mins you'd get around 2800 megs of data . Who is going to want to download that from a friends ps3 across town ? The best uploads i've seen are 1mb that wont be a fun download . Even with fiber that is only 5mb

JVD...you can stream video from your home PC, I've done it on my own (Video LAN does that for me). I've watched streaming video from inside and outside my home network, so everything your saying is moot because it can be done. The current High Speed internet upload speed is sufficent enough for streaming video....what basically happens is the video buffers and downloads to a point then the video starts and the rest of the vid finishes downloading......

My current internet connection speed is 4Mbs Download/400Kbs Upload

PS: If your streaming the video off your PC onto your PSP you don't need HDTV resolutions nor do you need insane size files. With MPEG4 you drop a whole DVD Movie down to 100-200MB and Gamespot has so much bandwith because there streaming to more than one person...

My current internet connection speed is 4Mbs Download/400Kbs Download
Where did u get this connection and how much do you pay for ?

JVD...you can stream video from your home PC, I've done it on my own (Video LAN does that for me). I've watched streaming video from inside and outside my home network, so everything your saying is moot because it can be done. The current High Speed internet upload speed is sufficent enough for streaming video....what basically happens is the video buffers and downloads to a point then the video starts and the rest of the vid finishes downloading......

What video and size ? I call bs on you streaming hd content over your pc to a friends pc and watching it .

jvd said:
My current internet connection speed is 4Mbs Download/400Kbs Download
Where did u get this connection and how much do you pay for ?

What video and size ? I call bs on you streaming hd content over your pc to a friends pc and watching it .

Did I say HD content? regular video JVD, why would someone stream High Def content to their PSP (I can't even play HD content on my own PC :LOL: ). I can stream regular video (Small MPEG4 files would be easier to stream of course).

About how much I pay...
Region: Massachusetts, USA
Service Provider: Comcast High Speed Internet
Cost: $45/Monthly

Note: I have these good connection speeds because my ISP uped the speed a few Months ago :eek:

I'm talking about to ps3 from ps3 also .

Don't keep dodging the question .

and you have a 4Mb / 400kbs uplad at 45?

I don't believe for a second you can stream hd content , i don't even believe you can streem dvd content . But u guys ignore that to make a point about your psps .

jvd said:
I'm talking about to ps3 from ps3 also .

Don't keep dodging the question .

and you have a 4Mb / 400kbs uplad at 45?

I don't believe for a second you can stream hd content , i don't even believe you can streem dvd content . But u guys ignore that to make a point about your psps .

I can stream DVD content, please don't make accusations like that when i've done it myself. Also I bring up the PS3/PSP streaming because being mobile with your PSP you could stream something from your PS3 remotely to your PSP anywhere in the world (With a wirless internet connection).

What I don't understand is why you would want to stream HD content from a PS3 to a PS3? Your just bringing up a scenario that no one said can be done. If someone posted that HD content can be streamed from a PS3 to a PS3, then there wrong...but I don't remember a Sony person saying that (Which is what really counts..not a user on a message board)....

YOU CAN STREAM HIGH DEFINITION CONTENT FROM WITHIN YOUR HOME NETWORK TO A DEVICE IN YOUR HOME NETWORK. But not over the Web to another Device (another PS3). One reason for the Gigabit connector could be for throughput for Streaming High Definition content to another device in you house (which is part of your LAN).

LIke I said...the only real application for streaming something is PS3 to PSP not PS3 to PS3...why would you want to do that? I can see the obvious reasons but it doesn't seem as important as PS3 to PSP. Your just trying to pick out a negative point on streaming when no one said (maybe a user on this board did but not Sony) that High Defintion content can be streamed over the Internet to another PS3.

Who cares, i guess this is great news for people who want to spend $300 on a PSP, $400 on a PS3, $200+ for a NAS, and then walk around hanging around wi-fi stations watchin video on a 3.5" screen, after waiting 20minutes for the video to start. Ya that's great.

I mean, it's cool, i'll a dmit the possiblities are very cool. For geeks like us.

But it's nothing to write home about. I'd rather just have a nice little 10gb HD for gaming remember that?? Gaming?? That way I could save money on memory cards, and have better video games, rather than spend money on $600 worth of more Sony product :rolleyes:

scooby_dooby said:
Who cares, i guess this is great news for people who want to spend $300 on a PSP, $400 on a PS3, $200+ for a NAS, and then walk around hanging around wi-fi stations watchin video on a 3.5" screen, after waiting 20minutes for the video to start. Ya that's great.

I mean, it's cool, i'll a dmit the possiblities are very cool. For geeks like us.

But it's nothing to write home about. I'd rather just have a nice little 10gb HD for gaming remember that?? Gaming?? That way I could save money on memory cards, and have better video games, rather than spend money on $600 worth of more Sony product :rolleyes:

Well honestly..thats what the Xbox 360 is for I guess. It fits your expectations of a console. What you have to remember is that even though where having this drawn out converstation about these features that don't have any affect of gameing....the PS3 will probably have game visual equal to the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back