Hyper Street Fighter II 15th Anniversary question

sorry if I got the title wrong.

I don't keep up with everything Street Fighter related so I have a question about this newest (and maybe last?) Street Fighter 2 home console release. is the PS2 Hyper SFII five SF2 games, like capcom generation 5 and street fighter collection 2 were both three SF2 games, or is it *one* game with all the versions of the charactors selectable? if it's the 5 original games with their variations in the backgrounds, then it might be worth it to me. otherwise, i think i'll pass.

I wouldn't bet on it being ONE game due to all the balancing issues that might crop up with every single character version playable against all other versions. Also, you couldn't really mix SF2 and SF Alpha style graphics either because it would look weird as hell. ;)

well as far as I know, the Alpha series is not part of this collection. only the 5 SF2 games (world warrior, champion edtion, turbo/hyper fighting, super sf2, super sf2 turbo) ... the first three had the exact same style each, and the last 2 had a very slightly different style from the first 3, but all 5 are basicly the same graphic style, not like the dramatically different Alpha series...... oh and btw, SF3 third strike is the other game in the collection.

Hmm i was just thinking what the SF2 game i bought to the genesis had for title, i remember the 32Mb logo on the package. I had som real fun with that game.Sorry Megadrive you just got meself all RETRO.. ;)

I hope you don't think those 32 mega-somethings were bytes, because they're not... The actual cart size is 4MB (32 Mbit / 8). :)

Guden Oden said:
I hope you don't think those 32 mega-somethings were bytes, because they're not... The actual cart size is 4MB (32 Mbit / 8). :)

Yeah but at the time it was like "WOW IT'S A WHOLE 32Mb!!!!!!!!!!!".
I remember when i finally got my hands on it, after years and years of jealousy for SNES owners who could play SF2, while i had to wait ages for the conversion...

Then we SNES bastards got some super ultra hyper alpha-fighting grandmaster edition version that was 40Mbit as I recall... ;)

Didn't buy it though. I was through with SF and fighters in general by then. No lasting value and I kept breaking joypads, hahaha. Got too expensive in the long run.

Actually i think the MD version (some special edition or something like that, it was a long time ago...) was a weird number like 38Mb or 40Mb.... Or maybe i'm just dreaming... There were some 40Mb cartridges, can't remember which ones now... I think by the end of the lifetimes they went even further the 40Mb limit. Or maybe i'm still dreaming...

london-boy said:
Actually i think the MD version (some special edition or something like that, it was a long time ago...) was a weird number like 38Mb or 40Mb.... Or maybe i'm just dreaming... There were some 40Mb cartridges, can't remember which ones now... I think by the end of the lifetimes they went even further the 40Mb limit. Or maybe i'm still dreaming...

Yeah Super SF2 was 40Mb, I don't remember anything bigger than that on the MD though.

Megadrive1988 said:

I don't keep up with everything Street Fighter related so I have a question about this newest (and maybe last?) Street Fighter 2 home console release. is the PS2 Hyper SFII five SF2 games, like capcom generation 5 and street fighter collection 2 were both three SF2 games, or is it *one* game with all the versions of the charactors selectable? if it's the 5 original games with their variations in the backgrounds, then it might be worth it to me. otherwise, i think i'll pass.

IIRC it's only one game, it's the perfect conversion of the arcades versions...

BTW the next Fighter from Capcom will be Capcom Fighting Jam and it will use the same tired low rez sprites.

Guden Oden said:
Then we SNES bastards got some super ultra hyper alpha-fighting grandmaster edition version that was 40Mbit as I recall... ;)

Didn't buy it though. I was through with SF and fighters in general by then. No lasting value and I kept breaking joypads, hahaha. Got too expensive in the long run.

The memories of the SF2 SNES days. Spent bucket of $$ at the arcade on this SF2 and got a SNES just for the game. Still dig it (and Mario Kart) up on the SNES to play my brother :)

I think its best to check out the reviews to answer the above question regarding this release.

from what I remember, the rom sizes of Street Fighter 2 games

original CPS1 arcade SF2 World Warrior: 54 ~ 60 megabits (6.75 ~ 7.5 MB)

SNES conversion of SF2 World Warrior: 16 megabits (2 MB)

SNES conversion of SF2 Turbo: 20 megabits (2.5 MB)

Genesis conversion of SF2 Champion Edition + Turbo (called Special Champion Edition): 24 megabits (3 MB)

PC-Engine (TurboGrafx-16) conversion of SF2 Champion Edition: 20 megabits (2.5 MB)

SNES conversion of Super SF2: 32 megabits (4 MB)

Genesis conversion of Super SF2: 40 megabits (5 MB)

so the Genesis and SNES versions of SUPER SF2 (40 mbit and 32 mbit) were not even as large as the original arcade cps1 SF2 World Warrior
(54 ~ 60 mbit) .... but I don't know the rom sizes of the arcade SF2 ce, turbo hyper fighting, super or super turbo

Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition arcade was 62.48Mbit

All of the other versions of SF2 CE like Hyper, Turbo, etc, are just program ROM swaps and are the same size.

Super Street Fighter 2 is 148.8Mbit

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo 189.6Mbit

much thanks for those rom sizes, Reznor007. btw, are my figures correct as far as you know ?

edit: according to this site http://digilander.libero.it/calimerosegg/gallery/cps2/cps2_2.html ...SF2 Champion Edition and Turbo/Hyper Fighting are 9.5 MB which would be 76 megabits.

however, *some* of that site's MB figures for other games seem to be off. on the other hand, if SF2 World Warrior is 54 to 60 megabits, i think that Champion Edition/Turbo/Hyper Fighting is a bit more than 2~6 megabits more than World Warrior.

Megadrive1988 said:

It's one game, and when you select a character you then select what version you want, for example Zangief from Champ Edition, Super Turbo, Hyper Fight etc.

Your best bet would be to wait for the Street Fighter Anniversary pack. Hyper Street Fighter II + Street Fighter 3 Third Strike in one pack.

I imported the deluxe Japanese version of Hyper SF2 because I'm an idiot who doesn't mind giving Capcom money for their samey products, but if I had any common sense in me I wouldn't have bought it. ;)

so basicly, you're stuck with the backgrounds from SSF2T, and no original SF2, or CE backgrounds. for instance, Blanka's and Ken's backgrounds were heavily changed in SSF2/SSF2T. I like the old ones better.

looks like I will be sticking with my Saturn Capcom Generation 5 and Dreamcast SSF2T.

Megadrive1988 said:
looks like I will be sticking with my Saturn Capcom Generation 5 and Dreamcast SSF2T.

One existed?? hmm.. will have to look it up. Hows does it compare? For example, apparently the DC version of "Capcom v SNK 2" was better on the DC than PS2.

Dreamcast got a port of Super Street Fighter 2 X (Turbo), yeah. it's seemingly identical to arcade. no slowdown like the Saturn version (SF Collection) or reduced colors like in the PS1 version.

Back