PS5 Pro *spawn

What is boost mode of Pro? 36CUs at 2.35 GHz or other setting?

And is there Auto PSSR feature reported by media?
Currently there have been no statements that PSSR can be auto- enabled without specific dev integration. Similarly, no statements about what clock speed boost mode runs at AFAIK.

They increased resolution too in both modes.
And settings too, intrigued. RT AO at 60fps on the Pro and at 30fps on the base model.

Ratchet seems a modest upgrade, they couldn’t feature the NPC density of the current quality mode on the new performance mode of the Pro:

What is boost mode of Pro? 36CUs at 2.35 GHz or other setting?

And is there Auto PSSR feature reported by media?

PSSR needs to be patched in.

But there’s a new feature they are calling “Enhanced Image Quality for PS4 games” but they say it’s for select titles only. That’s from the PlayStation blog, no more details as of now.

if it was a cpu limit they would not be able to put more NPCs in fidelity mode ? they are just in the background with simple loop animations.

How could they do that given Pro's CPU upgrade?

I was just pointing out that they couldn’t, as with every of these games that are getting patches what they will be able to achieve will obviously vary. Plus I think the older the game is the less they would want to fiddle much with a Pro patch.

Fidelity mode does have higher NPC count for the crowds, unless I am reading your comment wrong.
yeah Davis anthony implied the lower NPCs count was a CPU limit but if it was the case i think the count would be the same between fidelity and perf modes on PS5.

They probably used the performance mode as the basis for the Pro patch to make it easier. But I think this scene is the only area with reduced NPCs. And this not even a really playable area, very linear scene. It seems people are very eager to talk about that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it to reach quality mode NPC level later. This is the new puddles drama for PS5 Pro and used by people to push some narrative about CPU.

yeah Davis anthony implied the lower NPCs count was a CPU limit but if it was the case i think the count would be the same between fidelity and perf modes on PS5.
That doesn't make sense. 30 fps affords more time for processing crowd members. Reduced crowds in PS5 Performance mode could be because of either limited GPU power or CPU power. In a machine with more GPU power still using the lower crowd density at 60fps, that then implies a lack of CPU power.

I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it to reach quality mode NPC level later. This is the new puddles drama for PS5 Pro and used by people to push some narrative about CPU.
No, it's just a talking point. What are we supposed to discuss on this discussion forum if not speculation about hardware performance? If you don't want to talk theories about rendering of games, you're in the wrong place. Please keep fanboy wars out of here. That's not a polite warning - it's a tired sentiment that shouldn't need regurgitating time and again.

Last edited:
i thought those NPCs where just "background" instanced characters sharing the same baked animations loop and no interaction, not really relying on CPU.

Impressive results for PSSR considering it's still litteraly not even PSSR 1.0. Even beats DLSS 3.7 in some cases (less aliasing in some areas). Great job by Sony here. It's really promising stuff for Playstation.

That PSSR ghosting bug in reflections reminds me of that bug in DLSS where animations would start ghosting if the image stayed still for too long. I think it has been fixed since (?).

That's not how it works.

In the 60fps mode the CPU simply isn't powerful enough to do everything it needs to do in 16.6ms, and that includes running higher NPC counts.

So yes, it is a CPU limitation.

That's not how it works.

In the 60fps mode the CPU simply isn't powerful enough to do everything it needs to do in 16.6ms, and that includes running higher NPC counts.

So yes, it is a CPU limitation.
Technically it depends where the workload for the NPCs is. The animation and skinning could be happening on either CPU or GPU, and the reason for the reduce NPC count on PS5Pro could be a lack of CPU or GPU capacity. If we have clear evidence that the animation is running on the CPU, we can conclude the reduce character count on Pro is for (the expected) CPU limits. Perhaps the PC version gives an indicator?

Back