Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2024] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

53894219642_152e9d00da_k.jpg

190 GB is a bit crazy.

I doubt it would have performed well on a GTX 1060 or RX 5500XT, there must be a reason it's only used on the PS5 version and not the PS4 as well.
It's highly optimized for the PS5 hardware. And even there (with ~20TF FP16 compute available) it's very costly IMO for the results.

Last edited:
In order for the various exotic compression solutions without universal hardware support to take off, I think Steam and other PC game storefronts will have to implement a feature where different assets can be installed depending on the user's hardware.

I doubt it would have performed well on a GTX 1060 or RX 5500XT, there must be a reason it's only used on the PS5 version and not the PS4 as well.
It's just for higher settings (4k textures) so running on lower end hardware is irrelevant.

But now that I look at the exact difference in size, 84GB for PS5, it may just not be compressed at all (modern game compression is often around 2x).

Possibly a strategy to lower CPU requirements, but if so it's a shit stupid one. Far more people will be put off by a 190gb install size, especially as people without the CPU grunt will also likely not have the drive space at the same time.

It's just for higher settings (4k textures) so running on lower end hardware is irrelevant.

But now that I look at the exact difference in size, 84GB for PS5, it may just not be compressed at all (modern game compression is often around 2x).

Probably a strategy to lower CPU requirements, but a shit stupid one. Far more people will be put off by a 190gb install size, especially as people without the CPU grunt will also likely not have the drive space at the same time.
It's not going to be 190GBs.. it'll require that to unpack.. but not for the game itself.

edit.. well damn, checking some of my installed PS Studios games on Steam and while they're definitely less.. it's not substantially so. So yea, you're probably right. :/

Back