PS5 Pro *spawn

Yes, it does work better with higher resolutions, especially when we talk about TAAU. There have been attempts at other solutions as well - the ID buffer on the PS4 Pro and stencil masks for characters in Uncharted. These can be both more expensive (perf wise) and harder to implement compared to color clamping, but they can produce better results.
About this I think it's likely PSSR uses ID buffer hardware still there on PS5. What do you think? Shouldn't it help with the rest of the AI upscaling pipeline?

About this I think it's likely PSSR uses ID buffer hardware still there on PS5. What do you think? Shouldn't it help with the rest of the AI upscaling pipeline?
I don't think it does. First, you don't need to rely on the ID buffer to cull irrelevant history with the neural network. The NN will handle that. Second, outputting the 32 bit ID buffer is exactly what developers would typically avoid to save bandwidth for performance reasons.

TAA was necessary. FXAA, MLAA, MSAA etc. looked terribly pixelated and noisy. I prefer smooth and stable images. Ryse with FXAA? Please not.

TAA is also available in varying degrees of quality and sharpness. The Division 2 looked quite sharp and flicker-free.

I also preferred the more aggressive TAA from Battlefront 2015 over that from Battlefront II. Battlefront II flickered more while Battlefront 2015 reminded me of a film. The same applies to the Battlefield games where the flickering increased compared to Battlefront 2015. It needed DLSS to reduce that issue.

MSAA mostly only worked on geometry. Textures, Normal Maps and transparency textures like vegetation flickerd a lot. Screenspace effects also often looked bad with MSAA. MSAA costs a lot of performance while TAA comes nearly for free.

If there was no TAA I would have stopped playing games already, I can't stand the flimsy and gamey look of FXAA etc. Getting the TAA mod to work in Alien Isolation was always a priority for me.

Last edited:
MSAA mostly only worked on geometry. Textures, Normal Maps and transparency textures like vegetation flickerd a lot.

Err.......We've had TrSSAA for over 15 years.

Screenspace effects also often looked bad with MSAA. MSAA costs a lot of performance while TAA comes nearly for free.

If there was no TAA I would have stopped playing games already, I can't stand the flimsy and gamey look of FXAA etc. Getting the TAA mod to work in Alien Isolation was always a priority for me.

I'm not happy with games having this much blur and something needs to be done, having GPU's process pixels we can't appreciate.

So

Much

Detail

Lost

To

TAA

While I agree the hit to detail is harsh in some cases, I will take a temporally stable image over sawtooth jagged edges and shimmering any day. Many games already heavily post process everything making it a soft image anyway, at least let my edges be smooth.

While I agree the hit to detail is harsh in some cases, I will take a temporally stable image over sawtooth jagged edges and shimmering any day. Many games already heavily post process everything making it a soft image anyway, at least let my edges be smooth.

But it's not just the edges that it smooths, it's also per game dependent, some games don't shimmer as much as you think with no aa.

Just having the option to turn it off would be nice (with a possible performance hit of course)

That way you're free to play around with things like downsampling, which I have done games like Dying Light 2 with TAA disabled.

But it's not just the edges that it smooths, it's also per game dependent, some games don't shimmer as much as you think with no aa.

Just having the option to turn it off would be nice (with a possible performance hit of course)

That way you're free to play around with things like downsampling, which I have done games like Dying Light 2 with TAA disabled.

Yea definitely should have an option to disable. I mostly play older games so use DSR a lot and will use DLAA in newer titles when possible.

Yea true. That's always been my solution to the problem of inner surface detail loss with TAA... basically just throw more pixels at it. I often game at ridiculously high resolutions and realize that not everyone can, or wants to.. but yeah everything is very content/game dependent.

Back