Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

To amp up the visuals while exploring and battling, The First Descendant features ray-traced reflections, ray-traced ambient occlusion, and ray-traced shadows. Shiny surfaces, character armor, glass and bodies of water boast realistic reflections, ambient occlusion shading is significantly improved, and shadows gain extra detail and fidelity throughout the game. With the dedicated Ray Tracing Cores found only on GeForce RTX GPUs, your performance when cranking up image quality will be at the highest possible levels.
I think the quote is taken from the Nvidia link where they mention the different RT effects.

Last edited:
I think the quote is taken from the Nvidia link where they mention the different RT effects.
Interesting, I missed that link. Well I guess they could be hiding RT shadows in there somewhere, but it's definitely far from obvious... marketing will be marketing, but not exactly the most visually stunning game so far IMO, and the A/Bs with raytacing are small in the shots I've seen.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but given the recent note in this thread (and they specifically discuss Unreal crash dump debugging in the video), even more bad news on the Intel crashing front... yikes :(
i have been waiting for my mobo to get a non-beta bios but i just bit the bullet and installed the latest beta bios and selected the intel recommended (extreme) settings because i have a 420mm aio

@Andrew Lauritzen When non-overclocked server platforms are crashing, things are quite bad. Guess my plans of switching to intel are out the window. I can't afford to deal with this shit in terms of time or money.

One thing that's interesting is when Wendel talks about the crash database and how it's hard to correlate between cpus and crash types. Then he talks about using a marketing database to try to estimate how much time on certain platforms actually play. Seems like a low-hanging fruit for the games industry to improve how they collect crash/error data.

1720991437407.png

Looks like the devs came to the same view as per my previous suggestion. Good move. Less bad rep for the game and less support issues to deal with.

Last edited:
Looks great, although overcast lighting and a wetdown does show off assets in their best light. However, geometry lets the visuals down. The roof has a tile texture but flat edges. Could do with Nanite for actual geometry detail. Plus the smoke is decidedly weak sauce!

I see from the write-up it's not Skyrim assets dropped in but a mix of models from sources, rendered in Nanite. So it's just a detail issue with the content, understandable in a fan-made creation without a budget.

What Elderscrolls 6 on UE5 could look like:

Found it interesting because this feels like an exceedingly "game environment" type piece rather than the vague art pieces that don't look like a game at all usually posted by artists. And since the supposed Oblivion remake is on UE5 I do wonder if ES6 is as well.

Hey~ I just finished a demo recently... All objects are nanite. Including dynamic trees. The demo enabled Lumen ray tracing. To ensure performance, I turned on DLSS3 frame generation.

https://mega.nz/file/txlihT5R#f2LwIkCaXlAPSzYW3OPa81LPRJGAF02Uabha8SA2Yr4 (4.74 GB)

Here I would like to thank Inu Games for providing IGToolsPP: Speedtree to Pivot Painter 2.0 UE5 Plugin. In this way, I solved the dynamic wind of the nanite tree made by Speedtree.

And since the supposed Oblivion remake is on UE5 I do wonder if ES6 is as well.
highly doubt it, i think they are married to their upgraded gamebryo engine and will just keep on updating it. at least starfield has the best version yet

highly doubt it, i think they are married to their upgraded gamebryo engine and will just keep on updating it. at least starfield has the best version yet

I agree it's unlikely. Stranger things have happened. CDPR and their switch to UE5 does mean they're likely to visually embarrass ES6 with their next Witcher game. You could argue that it'll visually embarrass ES6 regardless of engine though!

I agree it's unlikely. Stranger things have happened. CDPR and their switch to UE5 does mean they're likely to visually embarrass ES6 with their next Witcher game. You could argue that it'll visually embarrass ES6 regardless of engine though!
how expensive and time consuming would it be to port all the scripting stuff and ancillaries from creation engine 2.0 to unreal engine?
and can you imagine the bugs? oh the bugs!!

how expensive and time consuming would it be to port all the scripting stuff and ancillaries from creation engine 2.0 to unreal engine?
and can you imagine the bugs? oh the bugs!!

Yeah...although... Obsidian have kind of done a lot of that work already with tools for Outer Worlds and Avowed.

Last edited:
Yeah...although... Obsidian have kind of done a lot of that work already with tool for Outer Worlds and Avowed.
maybe its easier going from unity to ue. i think it would be a herculean effort for them to go to ue from creation engine and if it ever happens it wont be for the next elder scrolls game

Bethesda gives the impression of being obstinately "backwards" on tech, and certainly there was a lack of investment. But their what-you-see-is-what-you-get realtime editor dedicated to kitbashing and the user facing tech being able to stream an indefinitely sized world were two things a lot of other studios/engines thought of as far more "techy" were missing.

Sony Santa Monica and Naughty Dog both still use Maya as a game editor. UE4 had to be painfully bashed into shape to get the two big open world games on it, Hogwarts Legacy and FFVII Rebirth, to really work well. You'll notice in terms of open world stuff even Skyrim has more features than these 2 do and that was over a decade ago.

As Starfield was started before UE5 that wasn't an option. And it's not until UE5 that the engine and editor were made for open world streaming games. UE5's open world stuff still needs work actually, navmesh generation for large worlds is listed as "experimental" in 5.4, etc. etc.

But Bethesda's lack of investment in their own engine has become painfully obvious. Nanite, a deep procedural world generation system, Metahuman, and spline meshes all seem tailor made to the sort of workflow Bethesda uses to produce masses of content relatively quickly. Open world streaming is effectively in on multiple levels while still half missing in Starfield. Realtime lightingwould be a huge workflow benefit. I can easily see them switching for ES6, but admittedly I can also see them not doing so.

Back