Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Next step for DLSS will be something that works like foveated rendering.

Native quality in the middle of the screen, then quality mode outside of that and then balanced or performance mode on the very outside 👀
in VR resolution outside focus point does not matter, only shimmering can be noticeable, but DLSS that looks like native at the focus point could enhance performance further over traditionnal foveated rendering.

Last edited:
Next step for DLSS will be something that works like foveated rendering.

Native quality in the middle of the screen, then quality mode outside of that and then balanced or performance mode on the very outside 👀
They could do that now quite easily.

They dont, because people wouldn't like it. VR is a fairly different use case, as it's a MUCH larger FoV and people largely look around in VR by turning their head rather than darting their eyes around.

Such fixed foveated rendering would be significantly more noticeable on a normal display.

the focus on making the game as responsive as possible separating the rendering from the physics sounds very interesting, specially for low end devices like the new handhelds, Steam Deck, Lenovo Legion Go..., as John explains.

The only thing I missed in the video was HDR encoding, 'cos John emphasizes how Moon Studios HDR implementations are something else in the videogame world.

Tbh I thought Moon Studios was part of MS studios, but they aren't....

Is this a sharpening filter that makes the PC version look sharper here?

tknjQRt.png

It's more obvious in motion. The PS5 also has a weird issue where the light pops in and out of existence as the foliage moves. Surprised at how bac native looks there compared to FSR2 Quality.

Last edited:

tknjQRt.png

It's more obvious in motion. The PS5 also has a weird issue where the light pops in and out of existence as the foliage moves. Surprised at how native looks there compared to FSR2 Quality.
Yea, I'm not agreement with Rich/DF here. In fact, the actual video is more telling and makes the sharpening less pronounced and simply applies more definition to most of the scenery, especially the grass.

Granted, the PS5 is still clearly punching above its weight by PC standards, but the 6700 image quality here clearly looks better to my eyes and isn't 'equalized' to PS5.

EDIT: Seriously, even on a second look, all this foliage on the 6700 side of things looks way better. It's not some slight difference at all. I recommend people not judge by Below2D's posted capture and to watch the actual video themselves at a higher quality Youtube setting.

Yea, I'm not agreement with Rich/DF here. In fact, the actual video is more telling and makes the sharpening less pronounced and simply applies more definition to most of the scenery, especially the grass.

Granted, the PS5 is still clearly punching above its weight by PC standards, but the 6700 image quality here clearly looks better to my eyes and isn't 'equalized' to PS5.

EDIT: Seriously, even on a second look, all this foliage on the 6700 side of things looks way better. It's not some slight difference at all. I recommend people not judge by Below2D's posted capture and to watch the actual video themselves at a higher quality Youtube setting.
Yeah, the grass looks much more defined with FSR2. Looks kind of blurry at native res on the PS5.

Sea of Thieves is coming to PlayStation 5 and with a beta test running last weekend, we had a chance to take look at the near-final build for the Sony console, to see how it looks and runs compared to Xbox Series X. And as we never covered the Series-native upgrade for Microsoft consoles, this was a good time to check that out too - and there are even some Xbox One X/PC head-to-heads in there too.

00:00 Overview
00:43 Visual Settings Comparison
05:42 Performance
08:55 Graphical Features and Conclusion

Wonder with the Sea of Thieves crisper PS5 shadow resolution, like with HiFi Rush, is something to do with UE4? Both titles run on that.

Not only that, but better long distance draw/LoD and a cleaner 60fps framerate (besides the two crashes).

More than likely Rare will improve X code when PS5 SoT is released.

I would imagine with certain Xbox games coming over to the PlayStation that Microsoft are also using it to check out Sony's dev kit and API to see what it's like, and if they can learn from it for their own API.

tknjQRt.png

It's more obvious in motion. The PS5 also has a weird issue where the light pops in and out of existence as the foliage moves. Surprised at how bac native looks there compared to FSR2 Quality.

The TAA implementation on TLOU is not great.

Comparing it on PC with DLSS and FSR2 shows how poor it actually is.

So it's more the game to be honest.

The TAA implementation on TLOU is not great.

Comparing it on PC with DLSS and FSR2 shows how poor it actually is.

So it's more the game to be honest.
Have you played the game on actual hardware? The TAA on naughty dog games isn't the sharpest compared to dlss, but they are very effective at minimizing aliasing and shimmering. I prefer it to pretty much any fsr 2 implementation, even tlou 2 on PS4 looks perfectly fine.

Have you played the game on actual hardware? The TAA on naughty dog games isn't the sharpest compared to dlss, but they are very effective at minimizing aliasing and shimmering. I prefer it to pretty much any fsr 2 implementation, even tlou 2 on PS4 looks perfectly fine.

I've played the game for 30-40 mins on PS5 and completed it 3 times on PC.

The TAA is not the best.

Back