Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

There are some interesting bits in there though.

1) contains Qualcomm XR SoC. This doesn't guarantee a fully standalone headset, but I'd say it improves the odds.
2) the visor flips up! I rather like that feature and think it'd help with the isolating quality from which VR suffers. Great for party games!
3) they make mention of split rendering. Again, this doesn't guarantee anything, and rendering gaming content is less forgiving than CAD software, but it's still potential tech that will find its way into gaming.
4) wireless tethering! From asterisk 5:
"Only works with compatible applications, when used in tethered mode. (wired and wireless) Resolution, refresh rate and color space may differ depending on application."

I think anything here would better fit a PSVR3, as I think Sony's move with PSVR2 should be a PSVR2 Lite to address a more budget conscious market. Not for a couple of years though.

Meta cetainly takes a loss on each headset sold, they want you to buy games and sunscribe to meta+. Though on the Q3 there is no eye tracking nor ventilation system. And the strap is very simple and unconfortable.

Without oled, hdr, eye tracking and haptics

If we're creating feature check lists then the more sophisticated pass through/AR capabilities on the Q3 should also be considered as in my opinion that's its real killer feature.

It's also has hand and body tracking although the body tracking software side is still in its infancy. Not sure where PSVR2 sits in that regard.

Totally agree with @Karamazov above though that the default headstrap sucks, so add another £40 to its cost to bring it up to PSVR2 levels.

i was talking about oled, micro oled is much brighter, but also as you said much more expensive

Pancake Lenses (in VR context)

In VR headset, pancake lenses are a lens module that uses a folded optical path to make the total length of the optical path shorter. Pancake lens is actually a collection of lens elements and film layers tightly packed together, using the interaction between the film layers to make the previously only straight light path reflected between the film layers again and again. However, this kind of folded optical path has an obvious defect, that is, the efficiency for light utilization will drop sharply, and it is difficult if not impossible to create an image clean of ghosting and glare. Because not all the light will pass through the layers, it’ll inevitably cause losses.

If we take an LCD screen, the theoretical utilization rate of light energy is only 25% (the current level of technology that can be achieved is only 20%).

If we take an OLED screen and couple it with pancake lenses, then the theoretical efficiency for light utilization is only 12.5%, the current process can achieve the level of about 10%.

The lost light will become a ghost image after entering the human eye, affecting the clarity of vision and the sense of transparency. In summary, while the size, thickness and weight of pancake lens are satisfactory, the visual limitations are not ideal for high-end devices.

The other interesting element of micro-OLED screens is that they can go much brighter than regular OLED screens. Screen brightness is measured in "nits", and the OLED displays in high-end iPhones and Samsung phones can reach high peak brightness levels of 1,200 to 1,600 nits, but only for a very short amount of time. Their maximum typical brightness for prolonged use is around 600 nits.

Micro-OLED displays have been demonstrated as reaching 3,000 to 15,000 nits. Apple hasn't said what the maximum brightness of its Vision Pro screens is, but the rumors claimed it to be 5,000 nits. We'll assume that's a peak brightness again, sustainable for only a short time – but it may mean that the sustained brightness level can be over 1,000 nits, so still a massive improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
pc support in 2024

That's very welcome news but a rather strange way of announcing it. Exactly as DF were saying, they have a way of announcing very big news as if it were a minor afterthought in a low key blog.

£500 is pretty good value for a PC HMD these days?

It's a little more than Quest 3 and each headset has its pros and cons. Certainly a nice alternative to have since there's nothing else on the PC side that competes in this price range as far as I'm aware.

I wonder how long it will be before the PSVR2 exclusive games get announced for PC? That seems almost inevitable now.

Good timing! when you consider Microsoft pulling the plug on WMR which makes my Samsung Odyssey+ pretty much useless now.
WMR is currently fully functional and will be at least until the end of this year. At that point there is to be a Win11 feature update (Win12?) that might remove it, but it's also said to be supported until 2026 if you don't install that update. You could even run dual OSs if you like.

Last edited:
Back