Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

I guess they supersample that down to the display res? Because really, you just want native (plus IQ enhancements) for the perfect area and then degrade resolution beyond that.

Speaking of which, no-one has investigated NMS or other PSVR2's foveated rendering yet? It looks really interesting but no-one talking about it. Maybe it's too confusing for anyone to attempt to explain it? :LOL:

Im considering a PSVR2, but they´re not exaclty cheap so I´m still on the fence.

I tried one of the early occuluses some years ago. One of the apps I tried was a roller coster ride and I had quite severe motion sickness for almost an hour afterwards. The older models apparently werent very good at mimicking your head movement and thats one thing that causes motion sickness.

I´ve also tried a more recent model of the headset Valve makes and some of the minigames/demos they have made. The archery game, the demo were the robot enters the room and floor disapears etc. Those have been stellar experiences and the immersion is on a whole different level compared to playing on a TV.

The movement in those games have been either by walking in real life or by teleporting. If your avatar moves but you dont move in the real world can from whatI´ve heard also contribute to motion sickness. The games I´m intressted in on the PS5 are GT7, RE8 and maybe that Horizon game, and to my knowledge non of those use teleportation or real life walking.

My concern is I pay a bunch of money for this and still cant use it because of motion sickness.

By accounts you can train yourself to accept VR by taking it slow and building up tolerance, as it were. But I guess really you need to buy from a retailer with a robust return policy! As motion sickness is a risk with VR, one kinda feels Sony should provide a "not happy, free returns" policy themselves to get over the consumer cautiousness. But then if they selling all they are making without that, it'd bad business sense to offer that safety net at their cost for no benefit.

Im considering a PSVR2, but they´re not exaclty cheap so I´m still on the fence.

I tried one of the early occuluses some years ago. One of the apps I tried was a roller coster ride and I had quite severe motion sickness for almost an hour afterwards. The older models apparently werent very good at mimicking your head movement and thats one thing that causes motion sickness.

I´ve also tried a more recent model of the headset Valve makes and some of the minigames/demos they have made. The archery game, the demo were the robot enters the room and floor disapears etc. Those have been stellar experiences and the immersion is on a whole different level compared to playing on a TV.

The movement in those games have been either by walking in real life or by teleporting. If your avatar moves but you dont move in the real world can from whatI´ve heard also contribute to motion sickness. The games I´m intressted in on the PS5 are GT7, RE8 and maybe that Horizon game, and to my knowledge non of those use teleportation or real life walking.

My concern is I pay a bunch of money for this and still cant use it because of motion sickness.
As I wrote in gt7 topic fan directed into face, stopping when feel bad and you will build tolerant with experience. Also important at least for me I always disable smooth camera rotation and enabling snap camera rotation (for some reason my brain doesnt like smooth camera turning in vr).

By accounts you can train yourself to accept VR by taking it slow and building up tolerance, as it were. But I guess really you need to buy from a retailer with a robust return policy! As motion sickness is a risk with VR, one kinda feels Sony should provide a "not happy, free returns" policy themselves to get over the consumer cautiousness. But then if they selling all they are making without that, it'd bad business sense to offer that safety net at their cost for no benefit.

As I wrote in gt7 topic fan directed into face, stopping when feel bad and you will build tolerant with experience. Also important at least for me I always disable smooth camera rotation and enabling snap camera rotation (for some reason my brain doesnt like smooth camera turning in vr).

Thanks! I wasnt aware this was something you can build up tolerance towards.

Im one of those people who cant play RE8 on consoles. I guess its the FOV and maybe how the game responds to your input that makes my head hurt and makes me want to throw up. I usually never have these problems when Im, the one playing. I also cant stand 30 fps on OLED. These things make me think I might be extra sensitive to motions sickness in VR. I´ve had no issues with the Valve VR demos however.

Reactions: snc
Im one of those people who cant play RE8 on consoles. I guess its the FOV and maybe how the game responds to your input that makes my head hurt and makes me want to throw up. I usually never have these problems when Im, the one playing. I also cant stand 30 fps on OLED. These things make me think I might be extra sensitive to motions sickness in VR. I´ve had no issues with the Valve VR demos however.
If you can't handle none vr re8 I suggest trying to get a demo of a current vr headset. That valve demo you played if it's the one i'm thinking of was a full room scale demo right? you only moved in vr when moving in reality? it helps immensely because it's normally your body not moving in reality while moving in vr that causes it. If it's fov all current headsets still feel pretty low in this regard, although i've yet to try a bigscreenvr hmd which are apparently the best in that regard.

Maybe mr might be a little easier on the sickness, although I havn't seen anyone who gets vr sick comment on that yet.

If you can't handle none vr re8 I suggest trying to get a demo of a current vr headset. That valve demo you played if it's the one i'm thinking of was a full room scale demo right? you only moved in vr when moving in reality? it helps immensely because it's normally your body not moving in reality while moving in vr that causes it. If it's fov all current headsets still feel pretty low in this regard, although i've yet to try a bigscreenvr hmd which are apparently the best in that regard.

Maybe mr might be a little easier on the sickness, although I havn't seen anyone who gets vr sick comment on that yet.

Yep, you could either move by walking in real life or teleporting. Thats my concern also, if my avatar moves in vr space but im not will cause motion sickness. I wonder if the risk of motion sickness is worse in a game like RE or in a car game? In a car game you basically move constantly, but maybe you being in a car somehow negates that?

I definently think FOV was a huge part of me wanting to throw up after playing RE8 for 5 minutes. There´s a mod for adjusting the FOV on PC to solve the motion sickness issue, so it should be a big factor.
I think the FOV is definently larger in the VR version of RE8. Capcom seem to have great VR implementation in RE8, the way you grab your weapons and load and stuff like that, those kinds of things really henhances the immersion in VR. But since their games are the only FPSs I cant play I have a hunch motion sickness isnt something they´ve tried to adress in ther VR port.

It's true that devs underestimated the impact of motion sickness in VR. In the early days it was just a case of releasing games and seeing how green people turned. Since then, VR devs have developed better practices and understanding. VR players have also developed better tolerances, for those how are veterans. What you can't do is put a VR cam into any old game and expect it to be a great experience. VR needs to be tailored, increasing the cost of development and I guess decreasing interest in the platform. Less users, more restrictions, may as well stick to making conventional games. Similar perhaps to 3D movies - now they just 3D-ify 2D movies rather than bother to create a true 3D visual language. 3D crafted movies might have been amazing but no-one stayed with it it long enough to create a true 3D movie crafting process, and just threw 2D movies at 3D with limited success.

Yep, you could either move by walking in real life or teleporting. Thats my concern also, if my avatar moves in vr space but im not will cause motion sickness. I wonder if the risk of motion sickness is worse in a game like RE or in a car game? In a car game you basically move constantly, but maybe you being in a car somehow negates that?

I definently think FOV was a huge part of me wanting to throw up after playing RE8 for 5 minutes. There´s a mod for adjusting the FOV on PC to solve the motion sickness issue, so it should be a big factor.
I think the FOV is definently larger in the VR version of RE8. Capcom seem to have great VR implementation in RE8, the way you grab your weapons and load and stuff like that, those kinds of things really henhances the immersion in VR. But since their games are the only FPSs I cant play I have a hunch motion sickness isnt something they´ve tried to adress in ther VR port.
Cockpit sims have always been the easiest on the sickness front for me. Back when I had a dk2, elite dangerous i could play for hours yet I would get a little green with most of the attempts at fps style stuff around that time. I have built up a tolerance like people say but I never got the cast iron stomach some people seem to manage, I think it might be in some things when the camera height doesn't seem to match my real physical height. I had issues with half life alyx and played through with teleport movement, About half way through I worked out how to fix the height and then could handle moving in the smooth movement mode. I had to keep it to ~90 minute sessions but I could finish it like that. Then I got to play it in room scale with teleport later and it was pretty much a none issue like that.

RE8 did commit the cardinal sin in ps2vr and that's moving someone without their input, the girls dragging me to D messed me up and the changing from standing to lying amplified the effect on me, I had to take a break because once I feel a little green in vr it wont subside and will get slowly worse no matter how tame the gameplay after is.

I actually think gt7 vr would be the safest bet for not getting sick or trying to build some tolerance. If you can't get a demo somewhere just make sure you get it from somewhere with a good return policy like Shifty advised.

What you can't do is put a VR cam into any old game and expect it to be a great experience.
This is so true, I used to try alot of vr mods for normal games and while some are cool to mess around with like that, nearly all except maybe cockpit sims have issues a VR only developed game wont have.

Back