Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Still much cheaper than developing aaa games stricly for vr which will not happen

Which is a shame. After trying those Valve demos I see VR as might being a bigger paradigm shift when it comes to immersion than what going from 2D to 3D was. If it werent for the price of a gaming computer and headset I would love to play Alyx. Also the fact that there doenst seem to be many AAA games as you said is a reason I havent pulled the trigger.

Cockpit sims have always been the easiest on the sickness front for me. Back when I had a dk2, elite dangerous i could play for hours yet I would get a little green with most of the attempts at fps style stuff around that time. I have built up a tolerance like people say but I never got the cast iron stomach some people seem to manage, I think it might be in some things when the camera height doesn't seem to match my real physical height. I had issues with half life alyx and played through with teleport movement, About half way through I worked out how to fix the height and then could handle moving in the smooth movement mode. I had to keep it to ~90 minute sessions but I could finish it like that. Then I got to play it in room scale with teleport later and it was pretty much a none issue like that.

RE8 did commit the cardinal sin in ps2vr and that's moving someone without their input, the girls dragging me to D messed me up and the changing from standing to lying amplified the effect on me, I had to take a break because once I feel a little green in vr it wont subside and will get slowly worse no matter how tame the gameplay after is.

I actually think gt7 vr would be the safest bet for not getting sick or trying to build some tolerance. If you can't get a demo somewhere just make sure you get it from somewhere with a good return policy like Shifty advised.

This is so true, I used to try alot of vr mods for normal games and while some are cool to mess around with like that, nearly all except maybe cockpit sims have issues a VR only developed game wont have.

Thanks for the input. My guess is my experience with RE will probably be the same as yours.
What does room scale mean btw?

Thanks for the input. My guess is my experience with RE will probably be the same as yours.
What does room scale mean btw?
Your movement in the real world or room is your primary mode of movement basically, depending on how much space you actually have will determine how much you will have to reposition with a teleport. I played in a friends shed with a room probably 4 or 5 times the size of this guys room with an quest 2 in wireless mode, but even this size would not cause any sickness for me. This guy is quite a bit more energetic than I was/am though ;) he's probably half my age so i'm playing the age card ;)

Which is a shame. After trying those Valve demos I see VR as might being a bigger paradigm shift when it comes to immersion than what going from 2D to 3D was. If it werent for the price of a gaming computer and headset I would love to play Alyx. Also the fact that there doenst seem to be many AAA games as you said is a reason I havent pulled the trigger.
Imo not shame at all, best psvr2 games are hybrids like re8 and gt7, shame that so little aaa titles get conversion

Thanks! I wasnt aware this was something you can build up tolerance towards.

Im one of those people who cant play RE8 on consoles. I guess its the FOV and maybe how the game responds to your input that makes my head hurt and makes me want to throw up. I usually never have these problems when Im, the one playing. I also cant stand 30 fps on OLED. These things make me think I might be extra sensitive to motions sickness in VR. I´ve had no issues with the Valve VR demos however.

Some people can, some people can't. I myself am still sick to the point of wanting to throw up for up to 6 hours after a session where the camera moves separately from my actual body/head (including driving and flight simulators) after as little as 10 minutes of use.

Unless you have a use case for a VR headset (for me it's watching some movies in a theater-like setting) that doesn't require in game locomotion that is not tied directly to your physical real world body movements then make sure you buy it from a place that takes returns or you don't mind taking a loss (either full or partial by reselling it).

Alternatively, do like what I did when I first wanted to try out a headset, borrow a set from a friend for a few weeks/months.

Regards,
SB

My concern is I pay a bunch of money for this and still cant use it because of motion sickness.
There’s some good advice under “motion sickness” in this Reddit PSVR post.

My only experience with VR is with PSVR. I’m totally okay with Astrobot (an ideal VR game, shame and frankly absolutely crazy it’s not available on PSVR2) and IIRC fine with Doom 3, but Gran Turismo Sport (where the camera moves independently of my commands) is a bit much for me as a relative VR newbie. A fan helps but isn’t a cure. Important to stop immediately once you feel queasy. GT7 is supposed to have made improvements in terms of reducing VR sickness.

There’s some good advice under “motion sickness” in this Reddit PSVR post.

My only experience with VR is with PSVR. I’m totally okay with Astrobot (an ideal VR game, shame and frankly absolutely crazy it’s not available on PSVR2) and IIRC fine with Doom 3, but Gran Turismo Sport (where the camera moves independently of my commands) is a bit much for me as a relative VR newbie. A fan helps but isn’t a cure. Important to stop immediately once you feel queasy. GT7 is supposed to have made improvements in terms of reducing VR sickness.
I had severe motion sickness with psvr1 (could only play static games like tetris effect or moss) but turns out low resolution was big factor as I can play all games with psvr2

Imo not shame at all, best psvr2 games are hybrids like re8 and gt7, shame that so little aaa titles get conversion

How do you think they compare to Alyx? I havent played either of these games but from what I´ve seen it looks like the interaction with the world in Alyx is really designed for VR from the ground up. I have only seen clips, and I might have the wrong impression and I might be remembering incorrectly, but these are some things I think of:

*locomotion can be done with real life walking and teleportation only, good for those prone to motion sickness
*action sequenses seem more tailored to VR, more shooting behind cover than running around, also picking up enemy grenades and throwing them back at the enemy
*pussles where you manipluate objects using your hands
*I think I saw a segment in the trailer where picking up ammo from a shelf was like a thing in itself. You actually had to reach in with your hand and pickup the correct objekt. I guess this would be very good for immersion

How do you think they compare to Alyx? I havent played either of these games but from what I´ve seen it looks like the interaction with the world in Alyx is really designed for VR from the ground up. I have only seen clips, and I might have the wrong impression and I might be remembering incorrectly, but these are some things I think of:

*locomotion can be done with real life walking and teleportation only, good for those prone to motion sickness
*action sequenses seem more tailored to VR, more shooting behind cover than running around, also picking up enemy grenades and throwing them back at the enemy
*pussles where you manipluate objects using your hands
*I think I saw a segment in the trailer where picking up ammo from a shelf was like a thing in itself. You actually had to reach in with your hand and pickup the correct objekt. I guess this would be very good for immersion
Unfortunetly didnt play Alyx but Resident Village is far beyond any other adventure game on psvr2 even tough it doesnt have interaction of Horizon Call of the Mountain, Hubris or Red Matter 2. Interaction is ofcourse always nice to see but its not that important when you have aaa polished game translated to vr (btw capcom add some vr only feature like reloading gun or holding two guns so kudos for them).

Your movement in the real world or room is your primary mode of movement basically, depending on how much space you actually have will determine how much you will have to reposition with a teleport. I played in a friends shed with a room probably 4 or 5 times the size of this guys room with an quest 2 in wireless mode, but even this size would not cause any sickness for me. This guy is quite a bit more energetic than I was/am though ;) he's probably half my age so i'm playing the age card ;)

That looks so freaking fun. The combat really seems designed from the ground up with VR in mind.

New year so maybe time for some top psvr2 games list ;)
1. GT7
2. Village
3. Re4
4. Red Matter 2
5. 7th Guest
6. Moss 2
7. Horizon
8. Crossfire Sierra Squad
9. The Room Vr
10. Pavlov

Last edited:
Back