Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Are they really? For direct sunlight? Haven't they set physically correct penumbra values for the sun as defaults at this point yet?
At 3 min he was driving the car in first person and the shadows falling on the car looked wrong. There was no penumbra.

Not that many AAA studio jumping aboard to UE5 according to the slide in the presentation?

CD Projekt Red seems to be the most notable jumper.

Satisfactory's latest update is in testing, where they're making the switch to UE5 from 4. I thought it was an interesting case of a game in transition. Since they're open world with a many objects, WPS / on file per object are big wins for them. At present they have to load in entire areas as players move through the world.

They've had to redo all their vehicle physics for Chaos.

On the graphics side, it's an interesting mix of features. They're not using VMS. They support Lumen, but since they have to support lower end cards it's a toggle on feature. They're not relighting the game for it.

They're using Nanite for cliffs etc, but not for objects yet. I'd imagine they'll benefit from it on factory pieces down the line.

They're using Nanite for cliffs etc, but not for objects yet. I'd imagine they'll benefit from it on factory pieces down the line.
I wonder why -- wouldn't dumping everything into nanite result in much better culling and performance? Maybe just not a technically experienced studio, it's weird that they waited on an engine update to implement a file/world streaming system which suited their needs.

I wonder why -- wouldn't dumping everything into nanite result in much better culling and performance? Maybe just not a technically experienced studio, it's weird that they waited on an engine update to implement a file/world streaming system which suited their needs.

On streaming, pobably more a case of working with/around UE4s limits and now there's something better. It's not like Satisfactory lacks technical scope. The factories you can build are nuts.

The hesitancy on going full Nanite adoption is probably just a case of one thing at a time. Factory objects seem like a good fit for it, but they're working LOD miracles already. It'd imagine there's a fair amount to unpick.

Not that many AAA studio jumping aboard to UE5 according to the slide in the presentation?

CD Projekt Red seems to be the most notable jumper.
There are not that many AAA studios anymore in general is the sober answer. The devs that have already been using ue4 will move over the ue5. In addition many of the rest are more comfortable using their own engines they have been using already. So it's not really that surprising

Let's see.

The Foundation engine for Tomb Raider was replaced with UE5.
Red engine for The Witcher was replaced with UE5.
Frostbite engine for Mass Effect was replaced with UE5.
X Ray engine for STALKER was replaced with UE5.
The custom engine for Silent Hill was replaced with UE5.

That's it, if you really look into it, 3 of these engines were replaced because they are too old, or too clumsy (Silent Hill, X Ray, Frostbite). Red and Foundation are semi old too, but there are probably reasons other than that for why they got replaced.

They're probably skeletal meshes or something, since they do animate. Pretty much all the animation is rigid and so it could probably be attached Nanite objects attached to bones (like the AncientGame demo) but that likely comes with its own overheads.

Seems reasonable to move the obvious static meshes first and see how that goes.

Nanite without VSM has some definite performance gotchas, but if they aren't making much use of shadowed local lights that should avoid most of them.

Last edited:
Very exciting times with ML which I'm sure will be transformative in workflows and combining many different fields will allow small team content creation, iteration times, scope etc to expand significantly. There'll be "base" models available eventually that'll be good enough for 90%+ of projects with that continually increasing as the training sets also improve for these animations. Said it before but imagine with synthesised voices improving (that'll be on the roadmap to implement you'd think) and matching them up with ML facial animations - very small games could be voice acted somewhat competently, relatively quickly and cheaply, which could be amazing for story and character heavy games. Sound effects too? Imagine writing prompts for all the sounds you could ever want and sliders adjusting things, or possibly exporting those sound files into

Getting ahead of myself here but we're still at the beginning of the next big S curve for many different things and hopefully that'll mean significant positive progress

Google Translate said:
Medieval village made with Unreal Engine 5.1

The setting is 'the eyes of a traveler who accidentally washed up on a village pier while sleeping on a small boat'.

I don't have a specific country in mind, but I used Switzerland as a motif for the topography and vegetation. I tried to mix the architectural styles in my own way, referring to Switzerland and England. While adding fantasy elements such as a house built on a cliff, we aimed for a realistic atmosphere that is not too far from reality.

Houdini simulation for rivers and waterfalls, Maya for house modeling. Megascans are used for many of the natural objects and some of the props.

Someday I want to escape reality in a virtual way.

EDIT: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qeeX5z

Taichi Kobayashi said:
This is my graduation project, a personal project created using Unreal Engine 5.1 with a production period of approximately 8 months. The camera was created using VirtualCamera, and simulations using Houdini were used for the rivers and waterfalls. The house model was created using Maya and textured using Substance 3D Painter. Due to the limit of the quantity of assets that can be created by one person, Megascans assets were used for some of the natural objects and props in this project

Last edited:
Very impressive. I'm not a dev and don't use any of these tools, just enjoy seeing amazing results like this, therefore sorry if its a silly question to ask but is this in real time?

Edit: sorry, replying the graduation project above!

I know some people are tribal about self made tech and in certain cases for good reason. But I am most excited about what devs focusing on ue5 can bring to the table. What devs of different talents can uniquely create from these tools that are only getting more varied and more flexible every time we see them

Back