Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Have there been enough AAA games that you need to expand PS5 storage less than a year after release?
I haven't done the math, but I would imagine that the just the games included with PS+ each month, and the free games given out during "Play at Home", and the instant PS4 game collection available for PS5 owners would fill the PS5's internal memory. And if it doesn't, download Warzone.

I got my WD Black N850 2TB today, when will the FW release? :D
They are currently on the fourth beta firmware. I have a bunch of game crashes with beta 2.0 but they fixed that the beta before last.

Since the third beta it has been solid for me, and I've been playing No Man's Sky which is somewhat notorious as being flakey.

They are currently on the fourth beta firmware. I have a bunch of game crashes with beta 2.0 but they fixed that the beta before last.

Since the third beta it has been solid for me, and I've been playing No Man's Sky which is somewhat notorious as being flakey.

I think I was included in most betas for PS4 and maybe afew PS3, but never had issues like that during beta. Ohh well, i just want the shiny new FW, it does not really matter, but its like I want to buy a new car now. Even though I walk to the office in 7 mins........

Austin Evans and co. took apart the newer, lighter PS5 and found a much smaller heatsink assembly. Unsurprisingly the new unit runs hotter.
7hDyWTv.jpg

The look of it gives me PS4 Pro PTSD...

3-4 degrees centigrade = 9 degrees fahrenheit (well done mate, not)
1.4 decibels quieter though seems a larger improvement

Yeah I'ld go for the quieter, its something you would notice. Esp since both machines are using the same amount of power (thus generating the same amount of heat) I assume the quieter machine is just better at getting rid of the heat

though it seems as if the scene he is testing with doesnt stress the machines much, obviously playing a game has too many variables compared to a introscreen like hes using, but perhaps theres another introscreen that is more demanding?

I think I was included in most betas for PS4 and maybe afew PS3, but never had issues like that during beta. Ohh well, i just want the shiny new FW, it does not really matter, but its like I want to buy a new car now. Even though I walk to the office in 7 mins........

I've also taken part in a few betas over different consoles and never had any issues. Even though I had moved a bunch of games onto from the internal PS5 drive to the NVMe drive, all of the games I was playing and crashing were on the internal drive. Others were also reporting the came crash (CE-108255-1 errors) with Destiny 2 and other games.

I've since played a bunch more No Man's Sky, and had no issues in beta 3 or beta 4. This weekend, following the recent 60fps patch, I've been playing a bunch of Assassin's Creed Odyssey off an external SSD and again, zero issues so it looks like whatever the issue was, Sony fixed in the beta firmware before the current one.

I can't recall how may beta firmwares Sony release until it goes public, presumably until crash reports stop rolling in. I had beta 2 for about two weeks, beta 3 lasted 2-3 days then beta 4 dropped early/mid-week I think it was. I've no idea if the timings of releases tells you anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3-4 degrees centigrade = 9 degrees fahrenheit (well done mate, not)
1.4 decibels quieter though seems a larger improvement

Yeah I'ld go for the quieter, its something you would notice. Esp since both machines are using the same amount of power (thus generating the same amount of heat) I assume the quieter machine is just better at getting rid of the heat

though it seems as if the scene he is testing with doesnt stress the machines much, obviously playing a game has too many variables compared to a introscreen like hes using, but perhaps theres another introscreen that is more demanding?
That scene is supposedly pushing the system to its limit actually. It's easy to find one with a power meter like he did. Because the game is using a dynamic resolution it will always try to push the system.

Last edited:
the argument that the newer PS5 will be worse for SSD because it runs hotter...

i want to belive that sony is smart enough to monitor SSD temperature and boost the fan speed accordingly. But then... this is sony we are talking about... they sometimes (often?) did baffling things.

Esp since both machines are using the same amount of power (thus generating the same amount of heat)

Video shows 5 Watts difference. However that's well within the standard variability range.

Just looking at the heatsink I would think the newer one is worse, but the thermal camera test is... unscientific. If the SOC is the same and using the same amount of power, it will generate the same amount of heat. But the heatsink is shaped differently, and it looks like there is less area where the heat pipes are finned and cooled. So if you are cooling the same input of heat, that smaller area will be hotter than the larger finned area on the older heatsink. If they had imaged the system from farther away and you could see the full exhaust port I bet there would be more uniform temperatures coming from the older unit and more variation from the newer one, with temps being higher around the fin stack.

It's not really about the temperature of the exhaust. Temperature is a great measurement of the heat energy in a moment of time, but when you are looking at cooling systems, the volume of air being moved through your heat exchanger is equally important. They are missing the volume component when looking at just the exhaust like that. It's supposed to be hot. That means the cooling system is doing it's job.

Just looking at the heatsink I would think the newer one is worse, but the thermal camera test is... unscientific. If the SOC is the same and using the same amount of power, it will generate the same amount of heat. But the heatsink is shaped differently, and it looks like there is less area where the heat pipes are finned and cooled. So if you are cooling the same input of heat, that smaller area will be hotter than the larger finned area on the older heatsink. If they had imaged the system from farther away and you could see the full exhaust port I bet there would be more uniform temperatures coming from the older unit and more variation from the newer one, with temps being higher around the fin stack.

It's not really about the temperature of the exhaust. Temperature is a great measurement of the heat energy in a moment of time, but when you are looking at cooling systems, the volume of air being moved through your heat exchanger is equally important. They are missing the volume component when looking at just the exhaust like that. It's supposed to be hot. That means the cooling system is doing it's job.
I think by the way how a thermal camera works, it’s mostly picking up temperature of the body of the machine than the exhaust air? More heat is trapped in the new unit.

I can't recall how may beta firmwares Sony release until it goes public, presumably until crash reports stop rolling in. I had beta 2 for about two weeks, beta 3 lasted 2-3 days then beta 4 dropped early/mid-week I think it was. I've no idea if the timings of releases tells you anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, its just me being impatient and just "need" the latest shiny thing available :)

Purchased Raffles for a chance to buy 2 PS5 at MSRP.

But knowing my luck, I won't be winning the chance hahaha.

And googling around, still no PS5 exclusives that interests me :(

I assume we all agree that the logic is fine, ie more heath is bad.
But there must be some point where the diminishing returns just kicks in and the difference between the temperatures are negligible.
In addition, I would assume that Sony has done actual testing and not just, hmm we need to save money. Lets just shave of some metals here until we end up with a shape that is aesthetically pleasing to Cerny or Sony Engineer #1337.

They mentioned over-engineered in the video, it could be that simple, that the extra on the original version did not have any real effect. Then again a new fan with a new heatsink shape, might be more effective.

Then again Sony might just have thought, as long as we save money now, who cares if it costs us more in warranty and brandname later.

IIRC they kinda did that with early ps3 YLOD that didn't have enough cooling, and some revision of PS2 slim where they did not put a component to limit the max energy being funneled to the DVD drive optical lens.

Although to be fair their issue with ps3 was way less rampant than Xbox 360, and the issue with ps2 slim was quickly solved with a new hw revision

Back