Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I'm curious with the media player capability of PS5 too.

Ps1 was only cd audio
Ps2 got DVD
Ps3 is a media King. SACD, network, etc
PS4 was a downgrade but it's ability to play amazing 3d bluray on psvr is really good
PS5?

Is it useless tho (as in doing nothing)? Basically you quick to say that it is useless since you really quick to post something with negative tone about PS5.
Personally I don't think it is useless but at the same time I don't think it is anything special for that game to be able to do it.
If this kind of thing is just a checkmark thing (enabling something just because it can/has thr headroom to do it) then I can list lots of thing that fall under this checkmark feature thing.

Useless, not really, theres probably a use-case for people that love the idea of supersampled 8k resolutions for the most simple games this generation on 4k tv's.
Its just not all that inspiring/exciting. Doom 3 at native 16k is more impressive i think, and thats not even all that of an achievement either but more demanding though.

Modern-day games at that resolution would be more of an eye opener in special considering were still not able to get to 4k60 as many had assumed would happen with the 9th generation of consoles. Were still down to as low as 1080p if we want everything maxed/60fps, and often going for 1440p/4k dynamic resolutions.

Modern-day games in 8k60 do exist though :)

Ps1 was only cd audio
Ps2 got DVD
Ps3 is a media King. SACD, network, etc
PS4 was a downgrade but it's ability to play amazing 3d bluray on psvr is really good
PS5?

PS5 is the VR media revolution, with haptic controllers, a single-cable or wireless headset with integrated foveated rendering and haptic feedback and being able to play all of Sony's 1st party AAA titles in it, if you wish to.

Or at least that's what I believe Sony's marketing department will tell you.

PS5 is the VR media revolution, with haptic controllers, a single-cable or wireless headset with integrated foveated rendering and haptic feedback and being able to play all of Sony's 1st party AAA titles in it, if you wish to.

Or at least that's what I believe Sony's marketing department will tell you.

hopefully they'll have PSVR2 + PS5 bundle. I really want to throw my money at them, but still not PSVR2 :(

it also have haptics
the HD vibrator is quite awesome, i always use it on PC. on PS5 there's also the HD trigger but i cant try it because i dont know how to make it works with pc games.

as for the console itself, is the BD drive also quiet? PS4 Pro BD drve is quite loud.

Tokyo Olympics was suppose to be a big showcase for 8K.

NHK was going to broadcast in 8K and all the Japanese manufacturers have been pushing 8K gear.

Then the virus hit.

Still, doesn't matter, 8K TVs are available but expensive and there's barely enough 4K content but very little 8K content, outside of Japan.

From the sample we have so far? A lot of PS5 games, or a handful of late PS4 games.

Uninstalling is almost instantaneous, installing pretty much depends on your Internet speed.

You don't need to spend $200. At Newegg I can find a 1TB Gen4 M.2 for $160:

https://www.newegg.com/pny-1tb-xlr8-cs3040/p/N82E16820177092

How much is the Series dongle? I can only find it for $220 at amazon and Newegg.
Not a bad deal considering the M.2 is >2x faster.

Just be aware that this is the version without a heatsink, so you'll likely want to buy a heatsink (can be found for less than 10 USD) to go with it. The version with a heatsink costs more and the heatsink is too large to fit in the expansion bay with cover on.

Unused (clean) drive speed appears to average around 5 GB/s sequential reads for some users while others it maxes out around 3.5 GB/s, so expect some small reductions in performance in games as well. I'd expect the PS5 to be closer to 5 GB/s, but who knows?

Random read is also slower than pricier drives due to the controller that's used.

You basically get what you pay for. And at least there, it's a pretty cheap NVME Gen4 drive (139 USD as of right now).

That said, any reduction in loading speed compared to the internal drive likely won't be noticeable by the user.

The best thing, IMO, about Sony's solution currently is that you can install a 2 TB or 4 TB SSD if you wanted. That goes a long way to minimizing the downside of not being able to easily swap NVME drives as on the XBS consoles.

Regards,
SB

2tb ? where are all these games I'm missing :D

Well if you have Ghost of Tshushima PS4 and PS5 version and Borderlands 3 PS4 and PS5 version, it starts to eat space and not even mentioning CoD :p

But being serious for a couple seconds, I got it because 2TB was enough for the PS4 I had,
I assume it to be enough for PS5 too, then I will never have migrate data to a new SSD in the future. I also have a 2TB external SSD connected for the PS4 games.

Maybe not for this thread, but if you can afford it, downsampling from a higher resolution is generally considered as the very best form of AA possible, as you have superior information. This has been discussed here, at Digital Foundry, etc. It is used for displays that only support 1080k for instance, with consoles that can easily output more, and has been for a while, and is also typically something a game can do that isn’t otherwise very demanding.

Perhaps some people could learn to, instead of saying that’s stupid, instead just ask, what are the advantages of doing that? This is just the place for the latter, not really for the former, there are lots of other forums and so on for baseless opinion spewing [emoji16]

And I know it’s not always easy. But let’s all try, shall we?

Any word from Sony on increasing availability?

Or are we going through another fall and winter with chasing down a few units here and a few units there?

Honestly, they should just accumulate a big number to dump it in the stores in November and December.

Make it seem like there's no more scarcity, to at least try to discourage the scalpers.

It’s not really that they are just making a handful of PS5s every month. They make enough to match and break the best sales numbers any Playstation has managed so far, but still the demand seems to be (much?) higher.

Why AAA? I doubt I'm the only one who spends at least as much time on 'other' titles.

Most of the games I've bought have been discs.

So when I finish I've resold.

Maybe with digital and more money than I used to have, I may just store it, though I think I would delete old games before trying to expand more storage.

YMMV.

Have there been enough AAA games that you need to expand PS5 storage less than a year after release?

Not sure, but I deleted PS5 versions of Control, Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3 the other day to make room for other stuff. This is with all the PS4 games I care about/play on an external SSD.
I do not have COD, which I belive took up major storage space.

But I guess, YMMV is the correct answer.

Back