Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the biggest difference to me, not sure which is more accurate though.

View attachment 5598 View attachment 5599

Some fairly large differences in that scene, for example as the door closes, the XBS version has a very reflective door, but the PS5 version has a matte non-reflective door. You can even see it a little in your screenshot where the woman's arm is being reflected on the door in the XBS version but not in the PS5 version.

Seems to me that with more time to polish the game, that the artists went through it again and subtly changed the look of the game. The matte door, for example, seems more appropriate for a storage space meant to store corpses than the reflective door they originally had on the XBS version. And the overall lighting has been changed as well.

I'd imagine if the developers decided to update the Medium on XBS to the latest build that the game would end up looking more similar to the PS5 version.

Other than that, there is the typical black crush or overly dark scenes that we've been seeing on the PS5 versus the XBS a reversal of how things were in the past with Xbox systems suffering from black crush or overly dark scenes versus the PS versions of the same game.

Regards,
SB

Some fairly large differences in that scene, for example as the door closes, the XBS version has a very reflective door, but the PS5 version has a matte non-reflective door. You can even see it a little in your screenshot where the woman's arm is being reflected on the door in the XBS version but not in the PS5 version.

Seems to me that with more time to polish the game, that the artists went through it again and subtly changed the look of the game. The matte door, for example, seems more appropriate for a storage space meant to store corpses than the reflective door they originally had on the XBS version. And the overall lighting has been changed as well.

I'd imagine if the developers decided to update the Medium on XBS to the latest build that the game would end up looking more similar to the PS5 version.

Other than that, there is the typical black crush or overly dark scenes that we've been seeing on the PS5 versus the XBS a reversal of how things were in the past with Xbox systems suffering from black crush or overly dark scenes versus the PS versions of the same game.

Regards,
SB
On my screen the blacks seem more correct (albeit too dark) on PS5 side. There is basically no true blacks on XSX, instead it's grey-ish, it's like they raised the gamma too much but it's wrong on Xbox because details seem to be lost. I think it's the same problem on Metro.

0:13 stood out to me.
The picture frame and the hand. The wood and skin textures seem either much simpler or heavily obscured by the hazy appearance on Xbox.

Also 1:37.
I haven't played this game, so I don't know how dynamic the lighting situation is. But that appears to be completely changed.
I rewatched it. I don't know why, but on my first watch the video had some macroblocking that really destroyed some of the details. Watched it again on my laptop, and yeah, I see some differences now. There are some texture differences. Sometimes in PS5's favor, sometimes not. Textures on hands look better on PS5, but the Xbox ones almost look like they are out of focus or have a blur on them. Lighting in the morgue drawer are different. The final scene with the split view and the little demon girl... In the upper view there looks like there is more stuff on the table in the background on PS5... Not sure if this is an LOD thing or they added more stuff on PS5, or if Xbox's DOF destroys the detail. And yeah, missing or different reflections in some scenes. The shot outside near the motorcycle looking at the building (about 2 minutes in)... The character looks more detailed on PS5, but the foliage and blinds on the building are sharper/more detailed on Xbox. It's almost like the focal distance is different in that shot. Not sure if any scenes are really transformative except maybe the morgue drawer one.

Another video from a different youtuber, highlighting different scenes.
This game has definitely been modified. Better details and visual quality trade back and forth between platforms, depending on the scene.

Surprising.
I would expect PS5 to be better or same in all scenes. Then if anything those upgrades ported back into other versions at some point, if they feel like continuing support.
Considering launch title and marketing etc, I wouldn't be suprised to see it patched.

Volga Level Opening Train Scene - PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600 (23% more pixels)
Caspian Level Driving - PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600 (23% more pixels)
Taiga Level Exploration - PS5: 2176x1224, Series X: 2400x1350 (22% more pixels)
Taiga Level Forest Demanding Scene - PS5: 1792x1008, Series X: 1920x1080 (15% more pixels)

Stats: https://bit.ly/3d7IBBP
ps5 vs xsx
Mean Frame Rate 59.99fps 59.82fps
Median Frame Rate 60fps 60fps
Minimum Frame Rate 58fps 50fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate 60fps 59fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate 60fps 57fps

Volga Level Opening Train Scene - PS5: 2560x1440, Series X: 2844x1600 (23% more pixels)
Taiga Level Forest Demanding Scene - PS5: 1792x1008, Series X: 1920x1080 (15% more pixels)

ps5 vs xsx

I wonder which area XBSX is dropping to 50fps.

I do not think that means it drops to 50 fps for an extended time, but if you measure the frame rate of 1 full second discretely, and Xbox has one of its 50 ms. frames followed by a whole bunch of 16 ms frames, then it averages to 50 fps for that one second. The FPS is not the important thing, but the frametime health is which is not great on Xbox in comparison to PS5 (that video shows it nicely)
Those resolution numbers don't match what DF counted.
Has this game been patched in the last couple of days?
There are nearly the same, it just matters where you had counted which can produce a higher height (staring at the sky at a particularly low density area of a map for example). We counted max 1512 p on PS5 and max 1728p on XSX, vs. the 1440 and 16XXp counted here. It is just a matter of finding the spot where it goes a tick higher or lower.

I wonder which area XBSX is dropping to 50fps.
The DRS is clearly more aggressive on PS5. It's visible notably during hectic scenes from 2:44 to 3:50 there are regular (single frame) drops on XSX while it's locked on PS5. Maybe because devs know people can have VRS on Xbox?

The big drop on XSX is probably due to I/O (133ms frame-time freeze) at 5:45 . The XSS has almost exactly the same pattern (150ms). Yeah those kind of drops are not a good thing to have, AFAIK they can't be smoothed by VRS VRR and are going to kill the immersion.

Last edited:
"Kill the immersion" might be an overstatement. :)

"Hamper the immersion" might be more appropriate. It seems that XSX larger bandwidth is resulting in fairly consistent resolution advantages in most games right now with occasional frame drops. I wonder if they'll smooth out the drops via API improvements or if there's an actual hardware reason like having a harder time with alpha effects due to lack of fillrate compared to PS5.

The DRS is clearly more aggressive on PS5. It's visible notably during hectic scenes from 2:44 to 3:50 there are regular (single frame) drops on XSX while it's locked on PS5. Maybe because devs know people can have VRS on Xbox?

The big drop on XSX is probably due to I/O (133ms frame-time freeze) at 5:45 . The XSS has almost exactly the same pattern (150ms). Yeah those kind of drops are not a good thing to have, AFAIK they can't be smoothed by VRS and are going to kill the immersion.
there's VRS on The Medium? huh, I didn't know.

ps5 vs xsx
So I guess, going below 1080p is now ok .... :rolleyes:

I really hope that RT GI will be better in the future, but currently it doesn't really seem worth the price the consoles must pay for it.
I guess it would look a bit better (resolution wise), if they would switch the whole game to newer technology and use the new features that saves compute power (like VRS 2.0, mesh shaders (or whatever sony calls them), ...). After all this is still an "old" game at it's heart. I know resolution isn't everything, but 1440p as minimum base resolution would be preferable. From 1440p you can upscale quite good.

For Series S on the other hand, the game should really output 30fps for that console. I know the really low res is not the common case, but this would greatly increase image quality. It just goes a bit to low for my taste and yes, I know I'm not really the target audience for that small console.

For Series S on the other hand, the game should really output 30fps for that console. I know the really low res is not the common case, but this would greatly increase image quality. It just goes a bit to low for my taste and yes, I know I'm not really the target audience for that small console.
On a nintendo switch screen, it would look quite good!

So I guess, going below 1080p is now ok .... :rolleyes:

I really hope that RT GI will be better in the future, but currently it doesn't really seem worth the price the consoles must pay for it.
I guess it would look a bit better (resolution wise), if they would switch the whole game to newer technology and use the new features that saves compute power (like VRS 2.0, mesh shaders (or whatever sony calls them), ...). After all this is still an "old" game at it's heart. I know resolution isn't everything, but 1440p as minimum base resolution would be preferable. From 1440p you can upscale quite good.

from vgtech:
Pixel counts at 1792x1008 seem to be rare on PS5. Pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X
So I don't think its a big problem resolution goes low in some rare most demanding scenes tough also think going full rt on ps5 and xsx isn't best idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back