AMD FidelityFX on Consoles

Just to clarify - because AMD did - that it's up to Nvidia to get this working on their GPUs. It's an open source project but will require vendors do some work so that's probably not going to happen for Nvidia cards.

If FidelityFX has some advantages to DLSS you know Nvidia will engineer them into their tech, if not they'll ignore it.
Technically anyone can do it.
If a studio wants to use FSR in a game regardless of platform they can, nothing is stopping them from using it. That includes optimizing it for relevant platforms.

So it doesn't need Nvidia, Nintendo, Sony, MS to bring it to their platform.

Consoles have an even better option with EQAA being available but nobody is using this feature and Nvidia dropped support for their equivalent (CSAA) ages ago so it's exclusive to AMD HW now ...

Technically anyone can do it.
True, but this is the kind of feature you want baked into your driver so you can just turn it on. Then if works with today's games, tomorrow's games and yesterday's games.

True, but this is the kind of feature you want baked into your driver so you can just turn it on. Then if works with today's games, tomorrow's games and yesterday's games.
It needs to be implemented into the game.

Unless I'm mistaken it's a software library, guess will have to wait and see if it needs some kind of driver access. From the little that is known I'm not sure why it would though.

I believe I remember reading the PS5 tech thread here and coming across almost exactly same application filed by Cerny in a patent but using their own console commands, exposing the same underlying hardware.

Just to clarify - because AMD did - that it's up to Nvidia to get this working on their GPUs. It's an open source project but will require vendors do some work so that's probably not going to happen for Nvidia cards.

If FidelityFX has some advantages to DLSS you know Nvidia will engineer them into their tech, if not they'll ignore it.

Why would NV want FidelityFX to be working on their gpus to begin with?

Nvidia can combine FSR and DLSS and call it FDLSS Ultimate just to rankle AMD. LOL

Back