PS5 DualShock Revealed (DualSense)

The all black looks much better. I don't like the two tone. I'd go one solid color with only the light as an accent.

4Y2JcwM.jpg

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/introducing-dualsense-ps5s-controller.180614/post-30731591

Pretty controller, but in white not so much.

Does Sony offer a customization lab for their controllers, so you can style it however you want?

If they put a mic array in the controller I hope that doesn't mean they're shipping without a chat headset. I'd really prefer everyone has a very unidirectional mic close to their face so it doesn't pick up everything in the room. Assuming a mic array would need a broader directionality so it doesn't lose your voice if you're fiddling around with the angle of the controller in your hands.

It looks too big for my tiny hands. I always disliked the xbox controller as being too big, yes even the new ones. But I guess size is the price of all that feedback technology inside. Those colours look pretty awful to me, but what do I know, I have no taste.

One of my favorite controller moments is in mgs2 using ps2 controller with pressure sensitive buttons. Press button halfway down to aim, fully down to shoot. That created nice emerging game mechanic rewarding being calm and created funny escalations when trying to aim in a hurry/tight spot.

It looks too big for my tiny hands. I always disliked the xbox controller as being too big, yes even the new ones. But I guess size is the price of all that feedback technology inside.

One of my favorite controller moments is in mgs2 using ps2 controller with pressure sensitive buttons. Press button halfway down to aim, fully down to shoot. That created nice emerging game mechanic rewarding being calm and created funny escalations when trying to aim in a hurry/tight spot.

Without seeing something for scale, it's hard to tell if this dualshock controller is larger or smaller to grip. Even if the length and width are bigger, the actual hand grips could be smaller, so I really don't know. Microsoft is making their controller a bit smaller so more people can use it comfortably, and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual grip of this dualshock is smaller.

Is that you Donald?

I've never liked super nes based controllers because of how they feel in my hands. I typically get cramps very quickly with the super nes through ps4 controller.

This looks much better than previous sony controllers.

Damn it, it still has the trigger/back of controller design that pinches my fingers. :???:
The design also requires you to rest the controller on the triggers themselves when putting it down which is also pretty annoying.

It's not DualShock 5, but DualSense.

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

No screen. Culture-independent labels on the system buttons (suprised MS beat Sony to the punch on that one). more Xboxy shape. Microphone array for voice comms. Interesting. There's very little comms in Apex Legends. Even people with mics don't talk (and I turn mine off with strangers).

The haptic feedback is on the sticks as well as the buttons.

The haptic feedback is on the sticks as well as the buttons.
Where did you read that it's on the sticks?

I read this as higher resolution rumble (probably the modern multi-axis from immersion tech), and triggers with some kind of force feedback, like a resistance. They don't seem to mention the sticks.

Last edited:
Sony presents the new DualShock for PS5

https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...w-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

With basically triggers with haptic feedback etc like Xbox and some small design changes.
Nice controller. About the new features, there are 2:
- Haptic feedback: highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller. some kind of rumble 2.0 to simulate plenty of effects with high precision.
- Adaptive triggers that are able to make a programmable resistance on the triggers.

Xbox has none of those features, only simple rumble on the triggers.

Interesting design. I think them getting away the from the legacy design of the Dualshock is a good thing. Also built-in mic is cool imo. I think more people might communicate in online multiplayer if the mic is always there in front of them instead of having to wear a headset.

Looks nice, no big LED it seems. I like the exotic-ish design.

Both DS2/og xbox controller had it, not too many games used it. Think GT3/GT4 did, and maybe ridge racer v, as far i can remember.

Back