Next-Gen Product Names? [2019 Edition]

I don't get marketing and branding but Xbox One X followed by Xbox Series X seems weird. I don't think it hugely matters after Xbox One, which was the the third Xbox and Xbox One SAD, which is was literally a bit sad, but does it really matter? :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
They still have this very american mindset of creating these barroque babel-towers of marketing derived jazzy word assemblages and expecting consumers to follow it. Super XXX ultra 4k extreme Plus™ may sound cool to the core audience of neckbeard gamers, but that kind of thing is ever more alienating to everyone else.

Even more interesting when you consider that the Japanese originated naming things that way. :) So actually it's a very Japanese way of naming products.

Just look at Street Fighter 2, for example.
  • Street Fighter II The World Warrior
  • Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
  • Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Street Fighter II New Challengers
  • Street Fighter II HD Remix
  • Street Fighter II Ultra
The Japanese love the use of the words "Ultra", "Extreme", "Super", "Turbo", etc. as well as combinations of those words "Super Ultra Extreme", for example. They use them liberally in product names, product packaging and product advertising (billboards, TV, paper print, etc.).

It's so bad, that you'll see that type of naming parodied in some Anime, especially when it comes to naming special moves. :)

Regards,
SB

It’s not like the iPhone buyers were bothered by the XS, XS Max, XR and then 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. Nevermind the iPad which seems to ditch any attempts to differentiate generations.

Maybe it doesnt bother me because I grew up in the 80s and 90s when naming conventions for consumer electronics was regularly a clusterfuck.

LOL.

"So Xbox One X is not part of the Series X ?!". I don't know... it's maybe me... Anyway, I don't buy xbox stuff, so... I have to say I like the look, pretty curious about the noise, and the dust filter system.

I was more thinking along the lines of Xbox Series X indicating a range of consoles.

That could mean that the name could get a bit clunky though. Kind of like phone names.

Pixel 3, Pixel 3a.
iPhone X, iPhone XR

So, for example, it could be something like

Xbox Series X
  • Xbox XL
  • Xbox XS
  • Xbox XLR
  • Etc.
The name of each individual console doesn't necessarily have to be Xbox Series X(something) or Xbox Series (something).

Alternatively they could go clunky and do
  • Xbox Series X Elite edition.
  • Xbox Series X Home edition.
  • Xbox Series X New edition (when the shunk version comes out. :p)
Or they could get a little silly.
  • Xbox Series X Small edition
  • Xbox Series X Big edition
  • Xbox Series X Bigger edition
  • Xbox Series X Mine is Bigger than Yours editions :p
Anyway, I just think it'd be weird if they had Xbox Series S in addition to Xbox Series X when Xbox Series X kind of implies multiple consoles under that brand (Xbox Series X).

Regards,
SB

I agree, the consoles will have names. Series X is the Platform Family Identity.

"So Xbox One X is not part of the Series X ?!". I don't know... it's maybe me... Anyway, I don't buy xbox stuff, so... I have to say I like the look, pretty curious about the noise, and the dust filter system.
Xbox One X is part of Xbox One family.

this is just called XBOX:Series X

They probably want to buy the newest console then.

Naming is still stupid and shows how USA centric Microsoft is. Because they clearly dont think non-english world.

Name + number is easy, because every language can just say the number part in their own language

Xbox series x is kind of hard to say in (some) other languages unlike something like "xbox 3". Even xbox one is bad in that way because of "one", unless you just talk about "xbox 1" but then it could be confused by xbox aka xbox original.

Nobody should defend their bad naming logic anyway

Playstation names are perfect, just name + n+1 numbers

Talking about "xbox series x" literally feels damn exhausting already. How to make it shorter?

Xbox x? Nope, used.

Xbox sx? Then there is xbox (one) s which some already call xbox s.

"Heh you got the new xbox series x?"

Few months later = "lets just call it sex box" or whatever

Last edited:
They wanted to call it wii:u but alas it was taken.

If the biggest problem people have with it is the name it's huge win for MS.

That said, I fully expect the console will have a designation beyond 'series x'. Like Ford F-series trucks.

Naming is still stupid and shows how USA centric Microsoft is. Because they clearly dont think non-english world.

Name + number is easy, because every language can just say the number part in their own language

Xbox series x is kind of hard to say in (some) other languages unlike something like "xbox 3". Even xbox one is bad in that way because of "one", unless you just talk about "xbox 1" but then it could be confused by xbox aka xbox original.

Nobody should defend their bad naming logic anyway

Playstation names are perfect, just name + n+1 numbers

Talking about "xbox series x" literally feels damn exhausting already. How to make it shorter?

Xbox x? Nope, used.

Xbox sx? Then there is xbox (one) s which some already call xbox s.

"Heh you got the new xbox series x?"

Few months later = "lets just call it sex box" or whatever

XSX. Series X. How hard is that?

Oof, if people in non-English speaking countries had problems with saying Xbox One, I can't even imagine how hard it was for anyone that wanted a Toyota Corolla GTS, oooof. :D And Sony's Xperia XZ2 Premium, Xperia XA1 Ultra, hell most of their smartphones must be an absolute nightmare. :)

Good thing Sony's smartphone division isn't in charge of naming for their PlayStation division I guess. :)

Regards,
SB

How often do you even need to say the name of your console out loud? And when you do you just called it Xbox or whatever rolls from your tongue in your language.

How often do you even need to say the name of your console out loud? And when you do you just called it Xbox or whatever rolls from your tongue in your language.
Yeah, it is effectively 'XBox' or 'PlayStation' for each generation. You grab your iPad or iPhone, and not your specific model.

That doesn't excuse it being a crap name though. :p

Oof, if people in non-English speaking countries had problems with saying Xbox One, I can't even imagine how hard it was for anyone that wanted a Toyota Corolla GTS, oooof. :D And Sony's Xperia XZ2 Premium, Xperia XA1 Ultra, hell most of their smartphones must be an absolute nightmare. :)

Good thing Sony's smartphone division isn't in charge of naming for their PlayStation division I guess. :)

Regards,
SB

As the owner of a Sony phone, I can confirm that they're so poorly named, I have to Google mine to be certain of the model.

As the owner of a Sony phone, I can confirm that they're so poorly named, I have to Google mine to be certain of the model.

I think the vast majority of product/model outside of furniture and clothing is universally bad. In the world of CE devices, PlayStation consoles are one of those rare exceptions where the manufacturer just didn't deviate from numbers starting with two for the second home console. Look at cars models, TVs, media players, STBs, A/V equipment, computing devices, white goods; the branding and model numbers mean something only if you already know what the individual components of the model number actually means.

Regards,
SB

Those are all exemples of other terrible names. Yes.
XSX is a borderline tongue-twister. Come on. You have to think and plan out a course of action before pronouncing it. Sorry anglo-phones, most languages are not as consonant-happy as you guys. And proudly so.

I felt like an absolute idiot everytime I went to a store to buy stuff for my XBONE because the name is so ridiculous. Xbox is already prety garrish in my opinion. X in general is a letter that makes one think of fat nerds. It's a neckbeard's imagination of what is edgy and masculie, but that looks over-done to everybody else. Then the whole ONE. Uhhh. It's such a specific name, I feel like a PR man saying it. I like it when I can pretend to not know a product to well. Like: "gimme the nintendo machine whatever" "The lil' one or the super" "Yah the super" instead of "Please sir, I'd like the Super Nintendo EnTerTaINemmEnt sYstEAm, nintendo's flagship 16-bit home electronic computing device"
But with Xbox oOhWaNee you had not other choice but to say that ridiculous complete name to make yourself understood. You are forced to carry on their marketing teams job for them. I hate it. Series X is all that squared.

Back