Need help troubleshoting... (please help)

Quick question, does anyone know why Steam would show a different amount of games and software on two different installs of windows?

If you have any free to play games installed in Steam, it only shows up on the machine it is actually installed on. To see it on other machines you actually, have to go to the store page for the game and install it.

So, for instance, I have a bunch of F2P games on my desktop machine that do not show up on my tablet as I never installed those games on my tablet. This is unlike purchased games which show up in the library regardless of whether they are installed or not.

Conversely if you have a F2P game installed on multiple machines. If you uninstall it from one machine it will no longer show in the library on that machine, but will still show up in the library on machines it is still installed on.

Regards,
SB

I guess an update is in order for anyone interested.
Well I got it to work but I'm not sure what happened or how it was fixed.
Basically all I did was reconnect the original hard drive and it miraculously booted up. So it was one of three things:
1. I did something in safe mode the last time it was hooked up and running. The problem with this is I don't remember doing anything.
2. There was a BIOS/CMOS issue that got resolved by redetecting the hardware.
3. I have two hard drives on the machine normally... when I hooked up the old boot drive again I had forgot to hook up the secondary (steam games) hard drive.

So it booted up in regular mode and there were some problems but after using it for a little while I rebooted to make sure it could. After uninstalling and reinstalling my security suite and video card drivers with some more testing I pushed my luck and did a in-place upgrade (install windows over windows(same version) so as not to lose my applications or data) just to be sure I would be stable from a windows perspective. That went through successfully and I did some final things like reinstalling chrome (it wouldn't open) and some more testing. Afterwards confident I was stable I hooked up the second hard drive and setup steam to use it. Tried running a game, had a problem... verified files... ran game... it worked. So for now things are looking good... thank god for miracles. Its amazing how similar this is to Grall's story but with a hard drive instead.

Oh also could anyone with an AMD card tell me if there are hundreds or even a thousand directories with nonsensical names in the windows system32 directory that have an AMD directory inside of them and I think a shader something or the other inside that directory?
Now that I'm stable I looked into this somemore. I have 1172 directories with garbage names that have a "DxCache" subdirectory. Some of the DxCache subdirectories have a bin file in them. Any idea what they are and if I can delete them?

Its amazing how similar this is to Grall's story but with a hard drive instead.
Glad things worked out for you - even if perhaps you never really did anything to fix whatever the boggle was! :p (Must reasonably have been something corrupt somewhere that got flushed/reset when you switched around boot drives and whatnot... *shrug*)

Now, if only I could get my start menu and "modern" apps working with crossfire enabled, that'd be swell! kkthx sugar on top and so on... Maybe that fixes itself when I pull my R390s and stick in my Vegas. They're resting on my kitchen table right now. Gonna change driver version too to the new beta I think. *touch wood toss salt over shoulder etc*

@Grall It seems you have AMD video cards... could you search your windows\system32\ directory for 'DxCache'? Like I said in my previous post I have 1172 of them and am wondering if its normal.

@Infinisearch Yes, I have AMD graphics.
However, not seeing any "dxcache" folder(s) in my windows\system32\... Sorry. I did a full C:\ drive scan for "dxcache" and found a bunch of folders in the Users subfolder. Not almost a hundred dozen such folders, but more like just under two dozen. :p (21, to be exact.)

Still, I wouldn't particularly worry. Either make a temp folder and move them all over there and see if things still work, or you know, just let them be where they are. It's not really any harm, is it? :D

Back