Need help troubleshoting... (please help)

My computer freezes on boot, while windows is loading a good while before the login screen.
I can get into safe mode. Posting this from safe mode with networking.
Win 10 fall creators update.

If anyone can help or point me to a resource or forum that can help I would be grateful. I'm trying to avoid a re-install or reset(gets rid of programs).

What happened: My computer was sleeping and I tried to wake it. The monitor wouldn't 'activate' again (no signal) so I tried to sleep it again (to wake it up again... thats worked for me before) but the keyboard sleep key didn't seem to work. I forced a shutdown by holding the power button. Upon turning it back on it froze on the 'spinning dots' and keeps freezing there whenever I try a normal boot.

What I've tried: Check disk. Then DISM. Then system file checker. Check disk found errors and seemed to repair them. DISM found nothing wrong. SFC found nothing. Next I tried an inplace upgrade using a new installation media downloaded from MS (the media creation tool wouldn't work...FYI to get the download you need to be able to change your user agent in your browser to a different OS/browser). Booted off the media and was told I can't do the upgrade from the boot media. Next I tried the ISO from within safe mode and was told it doesn't run within safe mode. Next I tried a restore point... restore point corrupt... didn't work... no other restore points available. Also tried a bootlog - the last line is always:
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\condrv.sys Anyone know how to find out what is loaded after that? Oh I also tried to disable startup items, but that didn't seem to do anything... only tried taskmanager->startup... if you know of anything else to try to disable, services maybe?

Thanks for reading this far... any help will be appreciated.

edit - I also uninstalled the video card drivers

Last edited:
Had wacko thing happen for me while PC was in sleep; same OS as yours, Win10 fall creator's. Like you, I try to wake PC up and it is hung. Click reset button and when PC boots up I get black screen. Moving monitor cable to other GPU gets video, so after rebooting, cold-booting after turning hardwired power switch off and stuff like that with no improvements I assume GPU is fried, so I pull it and PC functions fine after that, even when moving other GPU up to the slot the "dead" GPU was in.

I test my "dead" GPU in another, older PC with no integrated graphics and it boots up fine, shows windows desktop fine... No problems whatsoever! Ran folding@home on it, and that one error checks itself continuously and GPU ran for hours without errors so I assume it is all OK. Put it back in my new PC and now it works just fine with 2 GPUs in it again, wtfbbq.

So my theory; if you have CPU with built-in graphics, try pulling your discrete graphics card, put monitor cable in integrated graphics video connector and see if your OS boots? Then insert GPU again, see if things are back to normal again...? *shrug* I really have no fucking idea. :LOL: Windows... You just can't ever quite figure it out.

The fact that you can get into safe mode but not normal mode points to a driver or device problem.

edit: btw, what does the event manager say when the system fails to boot in normal mode? note the time it hangs and boot in safe mode and check

Things you can try:
is your OS/system drive also the boot drive? (check in disk management) if it isn't, find a guide on how to change it
remove peripherals
if you have moved the pagefile to another drive than the OS/system drive, try moving it back
uninstall any security software which installs drivers
if you use virtual drive software, they can install kernel mode drivers, try to remove them
remove any overclocking
disable devices in the bios/uefi
do a memory test on with one module connected at a time

Last edited:
Or if you want to try something a bit simpler, try booting in to safe mode and uninstalling your video card driver and booting it regular. If it boots, reinstall the latest viddy drivers.

It does sound like a driver conflict/problem, I'd try uninstalling the vid driver before I went too nuts with anything else and see if it fixes it. Also, have you checked your startup? It's in task manager now in 10 and you should be able to access it in safe mode, see if you have anything starting up that doesn't look right and kill anything un-neccessaery off. (A good practice anyways. ;) )

Best of luck, I'll try and keep an eye on this thread and actually be helpful. :)

So my theory; if you have CPU with built-in graphics, try pulling your discrete graphics card, put monitor cable in integrated graphics video connector and see if your OS boots? Then insert GPU again, see if things are back to normal again...? *shrug* I really have no fucking idea. :LOL: Windows... You just can't ever quite figure it out.
I'll try that if I can't get any further with other stuff... as I will explain later in the post.
The fact that you can get into safe mode but not normal mode points to a driver or device problem.

edit: btw, what does the event manager say when the system fails to boot in normal mode? note the time it hangs and boot in safe mode and check
Yeah I think it is a config or corrupt file problem. I don't think it even gets to event viewer... I did check it but didn't really know what to look for and what I did see seems to be from when booting into safe mode. I will try to uninstall the antivirus that I have installed like you suggested.
Damn, just saw the edit. What happened after you uninstalled the video drivers?
Nothing same problem at the same time in the boot process.
"BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\condrv.sys
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\Drivers\WdNisDrv.sys"
Thanks for this... could you post the ten lines after condrv.sys? In case WdNisDrv.sys doesn't lead anywhere. Also how much of the bootlog is left after condrv.sys? I'm wondering how far in the boot process I'm getting. Actually nevermind... you'll see why below.
Those don't match whats happening to me... I took a quick look anyway and don't see anything applicable but I'll look again later, I in middle of troubleshooting right now.

Well without much else to go on (I hadn't seen your posts yet) I decided to hook up a spare hard drive and see what would happen. The HD had win8.1 installed on it (it was setup with this same machine before). It froze on boot in the same way as my regular HD. I got scared for a second thinking it actually was a hardware problem but I decided to install Win10 fall creators update fresh on the harddrive using the media I had made before. I had one freeze but it went through alright after that and am currently typing from the new install. Ran windows memory diagnostics really quickly...no errors. How can I test my video card? Also anyone know how to get a windows product key when it is on the motherboard? Any ideas on how to continue trying to fix the old hd?

Thanks for any help.

Oh also could anyone with an AMD card tell me if there are hundreds or even a thousand directories with nonsensical names in the windows system32 directory that have an AMD directory inside of them and I think a shader something or the other inside that directory?

Oh also could anyone with an AMD card tell me if there are hundreds or even a thousand directories with nonsensical names in the windows system32 directory that have an AMD directory inside of them and I think a shader something or the other inside that directory?
Are you talking about the WinSxS-folder? If so, the AMD refers the the AMD64 architecture.

Are you talking about the WinSxS-folder? If so, the AMD refers the the AMD64 architecture.
No, I have alot of subdirectories to \system32 with garbage names that have an AMD subdirectory inside and inside that I think it said shadercache.something but my memory is hazy on that last part. And when I say alot I mean alot... the only reason I noticed is because it made finding what I was trying to find alot harder than it should have been. (indexing is disabled in safe mode so search would've been slow)

Well I installed steam and a game on the fresh install hard drive. Played it for five minutes... not a stress test or anything but the video card seems fine too.

Well I installed steam and a game on the fresh install hard drive. Played it for five minutes... not a stress test or anything but the video card seems fine too.
So you have either a filesystem error or a corrupted file causing a hard crash of some sort when windows tries to load whatever file is affected.

Salvage your data, then nuke from orbit. ...It's the only way to be sure.

Sometimes you just gotta start over from scratch, even if it is a friggin bother. Upside: you'll get a nice, fresh sparkling clean windows installation that'll probably boot faster and patch more easily with less complications. At least until it gets all crudded-up all over again with old versions of files and leftover obsolete regkeys and other digital detritus... ;)

A long time ago I was a computer/network technician... I take this kind of personally. I don't think I'm gonna give up on this one... you know what they say where there's a will there's a way. And I think I have an idea for a solution too, if I fail at regular troubleshooting. Rollback the install of the fall creators update (hoping it will a.let me b.fix the boot problem) and then reinstall the fall update. While I'm messing about I'll make this new hard drive more usable and switch between using it and troubleshooting the other one. Who knows if I like the new install enough maybe I'll transition over to it later anyway.

Quick question, does anyone know why Steam would show a different amount of games and software on two different installs of windows?

I take this kind of personally. I don't think I'm gonna give up on this one...
Heh, well, best of luck to you then. :) I genuinely wish you much success in conquering the Windows devil.

does anyone know why Steam would show a different amount of games and software on two different installs of windows?
Can steam scan a drive for games installed? I don't recall, but it's worth a look perhaps.

Maybe some of the games aren't detected/'installed' on one of your windows installs.

Quick question, does anyone know why Steam would show a different amount of games and software on two different installs of windows?
did you allow permission from another Steam account to use your games or viceversa? If you did that, one of the accounts will show the library of both accounts while the other shows its own actual games.
Heh, well, best of luck to you then. :) I genuinely wish you much success in conquering the Windows devil.

Can steam scan a drive for games installed? I don't recall, but it's worth a look perhaps.

Maybe some of the games aren't detected/'installed' on one of your windows installs.
dunno about that, but my favourite frontend for Steam, GoG, emulation and retro games, etc, is Launchbox, and it automatically finds all the Steam and GoG games installed on your computer.

Back