Microsoft Xbox One X (XBOX) Reviews and Impressions

I think it will be much more of an impact for those that play on a monitor...

Also those that don't do any PC gaming or haven't touched this gen at all...there will be more of an impact. For anyone else the the jump won't be as much...

Going from One to X (or 4 to Pro) with a measly 1080p is undeniably going to be a bit of a disappointment, as much as both MS and Sony pretend otherwise, with supersampling etc.

You really, really need a (good) HDR capable, 4K screen. No amount of supersampling can substitute for the glorious HDR in some games - still hoping for every game to support this! - as well as the added resolution where applicable.
HDR's on basic PS4 though, so less impact there. XBOne 1080p SDR to XBOX 4K HDR would definitely feel better.

Going from One to X (or 4 to Pro) with a measly 1080p is undeniably going to be a bit of a disappointment, as much as both MS and Sony pretend otherwise, with supersampling etc.

You really, really need a (good) HDR capable, 4K screen. No amount of supersampling can substitute for the glorious HDR in some games - still hoping for every game to support this! - as well as the added resolution where applicable.

Yeah, TBH I appreciate the better performance and quicker loading - also, having PSVR I gain too. Also, double bubble when I get my HDR 4K TV :)

I think it will be much more of an impact for those that play on a monitor...

Also those that don't do any PC gaming or haven't touched this gen at all...there will be more of an impact. For anyone else the the jump won't be as much...

Yep, I always thought this too - those who play like PC gamers (a couple ft from the screen) for couch gamers I honestly think you need to really look - hard - to see the difference.

Anybody noticed it sees external storage is slower? I have noticed on my Forza 7 demo, it seems to take longer than I remember to load the race. I've noticed a few other long load times. I've set external as my default storage drive, and somewhere I read internal may be faster (no clue why). So that's kinda my working theory.

Also these games are HUGEEE. QB, 83 GB, had to download entire thing (ownd digitally, buit switched from vanilaa to S a ways back and never redownloaded I guess). Halo 5 has like a 45 GB install from disc (which are slow anyway) then has to download 65GB more. That's just normal. It's crazy. You really cant spur of the moment play a game anymore in 2017, you just cant. You can start installing the game one day and play the next in many cases for me

This is the best console ever released. Power, form factor, features (from the uhd drive to the amazing enhanced bc that makes old games literally new ones) just about everything. Makes the pro look archaic by comparison . It’s top enhanced games like halo 5 , forza 7, assassin’s creed origins and esp. gears 4 are something else. Only complaint is the missing forza horizon 3 patch. Truly a next gen console disguised as a mid gen one .

I am sorry but that’s how I feel. Everything about this thing is so futuristic. I really doubt that my humble opinion hurts this console. Even its wifi receiver seems special, I have it on the same furniture with my pro in the living room , while my router is in my bedroom and it gives me much,MUCH higher speeds. Now that I have it i am even more disappointed with ms not having 1-2 big budget games ready for its launch.

this is a very solid piece of hardware and software. great job ms, this is now the real xbox one. transferring 200 games and downloading all these 4k patches took some time but everything feels now in the right place ;)
currently i have the monolith hooked up to my monitor. when can we expect the 1440p output resolution update to drop?

I am sorry but that’s how I feel. Everything about this thing is so futuristic. I really doubt that my humble opinion hurts this console.
Calling it a next-gen console in mid-gen disguise suggests the output is a generational advance on what we have now. The output of XBOX is definitely improved current gen, the sort of difference between its peers as between OXB and PS2. By all means praise the quality of the device and experience, but it should be called a high-end or luxury unit or something, not a next-gen one.

Mine arrived yday ( day late due to Amazon ho hum). Didn't have time to do more then open the box and have a quick look. New design is impressive and it's a pretty weighty little box. Still prefer the size and shape of my original Day One box though. Hopefully have more time to try it at the weekend.

Mine arrived yday ( day late due to Amazon ho hum). Didn't have time to do more then open the box and have a quick look. New design is impressive and it's a pretty weighty little box. Still prefer the size and shape of my original Day One box though. Hopefully have more time to try it at the weekend.

Same here, well more specifically because of Amazon Logistics US shipping. The center it was shipped to did not have power, so it sat there until the next day when it was shipped to a different center to then be shipped out. I am so disappointed with Amazon, especially considering they never sent me an update notification via eMail. I had to keep checking their site and all it said was "oops, we're trying to get it back on track" and their last email Monday morning said "launch guarantee delivery on Tuesday", even though they lost power early Sunday afternoon. Definitely going to rip into Amazon for that one when I get time. FedEx and UPS and even USPS had no issues getting their deliveries out on time in the same area.

Anyways, only had time to remove it from the outter shipping box. Doesn't seem as heavy as I expected it to be. I'm sure it'll seem heavier when compared directly to Xbox One launch day.

I won't have time to swap it out til Saturday now. I had the time Tuesday, but alas. I plan on doing a full entertainment system tear down and clean up before, including moving and adjusting all the speaker wires, electric power plugs, and Ups setups for all the devices. Its quite a lot considering its the AVR, Tivo, HTPC, xbox original, xbox 360, xbox one, sony psx, sega dreamcast, HTPC, desktop, Chromecast, and kinect 360, kinect xbox one, and 2 external hdds for the consoles.

I'm not sure which title I should try out first on the xox first.

I'm tempted to try something like Crimson Skies first for amusement value. Also like to see what happens with Sea of Thieves. Would really like to try my original version of Sudeki for laughs as I worked on that way back, but it's not BC (yet?) . Oh and Gladius (still not BC either ) of course :)

I am sorry but that’s how I feel. Everything about this thing is so futuristic. I really doubt that my humble opinion hurts this console. Even its wifi receiver seems special, I have it on the same furniture with my pro in the living room , while my router is in my bedroom and it gives me much,MUCH higher speeds. Now that I have it i am even more disappointed with ms not having 1-2 big budget games ready for its launch.

Well other than the fact that this isn't a new gen and MS purposefully wanted buyers to realise this is amid-gen premium product, MS have very little in the way of 'big budget' coming out at all over the next few months that will take full advantage of the hardware.

MS have very little in the way of 'big budget' coming out at all over the next few months that will take full advantage of the hardware.
That we know of. Since 2015+ they have held back that sort of release information u till the product is 12 months confirmed to launch.

Could anyone with the X check if there's a new system wide update weighs in at 300-400mb? Apparently there's one released last night but it hasn't showed up yet on Australian server, it also fixes the elevated black level according to one user.
Also do US typically get the latest firmware update a bit earlier than other countries?

Could anyone with the X check if there's a new system wide update weighs in at 300-400mb? Apparently there's one released last night but it hasn't showed up yet on Australian server, it also fixes the elevated black level according to one user.
Also do US typically get the latest firmware update a bit earlier than other countries?
can you give me your version of your firmware? I'll double check mine

can you give me your version of your firmware? I'll double check mine
Sure, mine's:
OS version: 10.0.16299.3036 (rs3_xbox_rel_1710.171020-1745)
That's the same as the latest one listed at Xbox support website.
Also turns out it's apparently an Insider beta Ring thingy, which could explain why it's not gone public yet. But the good news is it's fixed in the beta at least:).

Well likely fixed in beta-testing but in the Alpha Insider ring. If it looks good from there, they will release it out to Beta ring, then out to Delta / Gamma (or whatever those are). With some items I've seen it hit Alpha and Beta and then head straight out to the public release -- that's how the 700 meg update needed for the xbox one x seemed to flow.

Back