Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they've come a long way from PSX last year. Made some comparison shots for Drake and Sam (still waiting on that gamersyde uncompressed video though)
Sam
beforeynrn5.jpg

after87p0j.jpg

Drake
before1shrlr.jpg

after1e8qgd.jpg

This looks significantly improved even from E3. Can't wait to see how the final games shapes up :smile:

Another thing to point out, every footage shown so far from Uncharted 4 ran at a solid framerate, anyone thinking it wouldn't improve before release was a madman.
Look about the same to me. Just different lighting conditions and some sweat on the PSX shots.

Yeah, that first demo didn't even have volumetric lighting in place, there was no per object blur, no Bokeh Dof, no lens flare, no SSS, no fancy particles, it's pretty bare bone. I'd be happy if all they improve in the final build is per object blur with more samples, the rest is perfect to me.

The only thing missing was motion blur and volumetric lights, actually.

Skin and hair shader look a lot better, materials and bokeh dof as well. PSX demo is nowhere near current build. Also they seem to have improved water reflections a lot since E3, i remember that area being problematic. Another thing they've improved on is how hair is lit, PSX/E3 demo didn't have any of that.

Best example: http://giant.gfycat.com/GreedySardonicDassie.gif

Last edited:
Skin and hair shader look a lot better, materials and bokeh dof as well. PSX demo is nowhere near current build. Also they seem to have improved water reflections a lot since E3, i remember that area being problematic. Another thing they've improved on is how hair is lit, PSX/E3 demo didn't have any of that.

Best example: http://giant.gfycat.com/GreedySardonicDassie.gif

Nope, they look pretty much the same. Only difference being lighting conditions.

For the water reflections we'd have to see the same scene from E3 since only some areas had problems with reflections, others didn't.

These videos look way more solid and consistent. Feels like now their artists are confortable with the pipeline and the engine is well refined. Yet, cutscenes are always easier, and by extention, corridor sections and small arenas too. Its the big open areas that are hard to get to look good, because the lighting easily gets bland without much variance. But yeah, those cutscenes are officially the current best real time graphics to-date.
PS: the first gameplay demo did infact have volumetric lighitng. Just gotta pay atention to it.

These videos look way more solid and consistent. Feels like now their artists are confortable with the pipeline and the engine is well refined. Yet, cutscenes are always easier, and by extention, corridor sections and small arenas too. Its the big open areas that are hard to get to look good, because the lighting easily gets bland without much variance. But yeah, those cutscenes are officially the current best real time graphics to-date.
PS: the first gameplay demo did infact have volumetric lighitng. Just gotta pay atention to it.

We can at least say that it'll be one of the cleanest looking games on release. The beta has 0 aliasing issues and it runs at 900p, i think it's one of the best 900p games IQ wise (even if it has slight sharpening going on to mask its sub-1080p nature). Now, the main game is going to look even better which is good news. I am a big fan of their AA solution, it takes care of everything even if that means a few frames in each new scene will have slight aliasing in expected areas. And you can only notice that by examining the footage frame by frame...

Played the multiplayer tutorial level a few times and they've really nailed the rope and swinging. L1 feels so natural.

Roll on March, but not before January (LEGO Marvel Avengers) and February (Far Cry Primal). No that I'm close to finishing Fallout 4 yet nor have I really started Just Cause 3. Too. Many. Games! :runaway:

Nope, they look pretty much the same. Only difference being lighting conditions.

For the water reflections we'd have to see the same scene from E3 since only some areas had problems with reflections, others didn't.
Hair is much better lit in the latest demo, same with the skin shading. Post processing has seen much bigger difference too be it motion blur, DOF or lens flare. You really need to go back to the jungle level again, that looked antique now in comparison.

Looks the same to me too.. not sure what some of you think changed.

In any case, I'm not a "cutscene = gameplay graphics" kind of guy.. so I need to see more gameplay.

Hair is much better lit in the latest demo, same with the skin shading. Post processing has seen much bigger difference too be it motion blur, DOF or lens flare. You really need to go back to the jungle level again, that looked antique now in comparison.
Maybe you watched bad quality footage from the PSX event. There's really very little difference between now and then.

I am not sure what you guys are talking about, the game has changed significantly since the E3 demo. PSX isn't even a question. It's extremely easy to spot the difference in hair and skin shader. Hell, even the MP beta which runs at twice the framerate has improvements in lighting compared to the PSX demo.

Anyway, some screenshots from the new footage
new136s8q.jpg

new25ts9e.jpg

new46ksgw.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure what you guys are talking about, the game has changed significantly since the E3 demo. PSX isn't even a question. It's extremely easy to spot the difference in hair and skin shader. Hell, even the MP beta which runs at twice the framerate has improvements in lighting compared to the PSX demo.

Anyway, some screenshots from the new footage
No point in convincing someone who's minds are already made up, especially for a PS4 exclusive. The game in its current state already looks bordering CGI, I wonder what the final 3 months of dev time would do tho, man to think it's ND's first native current gen title.

No point in convincing someone who's minds are already made up, especially for a PS4 exclusive. The game in its current state already looks bordering CGI, I wonder what the final 3 months of dev time would do tho, man to think it's ND's first native current gen title.

You should watch the interview with Druckmann and the four main voice actors at PSX 2015. They have a crew of 300 working on this game now. But... can't imagine they are all working on UC4. They must have a crew working on a 2nd game as well. Pity, it's the last game in the UC series. However, I'm definitely looking forward now to a TLoU 2 using the same engine and algo's. Pity, we likely won't see that game until 2017.... when the PS4 is in its 4th year.

Silly question... so cut scenes in UC4 are rendered in-game ? Meaning the transition between cut scenes and game is seemless. Perhaps, cut scenes can be rendered with a notch more effects.

Real-time cutscenes yes, they can probably use more expensive assets but it doesn't mean there's unlimited power available. We already have games with impressive real-time cutscenes that struggle to maintain 30 fps in 2015, RoTR (even though it drops res from 1920x1080 to 1440x1080) and Until Dawn. From what we've seen of Uncharted 4 cutscenes both manage to look more impressive and keep performance in check, which might be easier in a controlled environment (cutscenes) but it's still not an easy task considering the detail we get to see in real-time. One great advantage of doing them real-time is seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay.

You should watch the interview with Druckmann and the four main voice actors at PSX 2015. They have a crew of 300 working on this game now. But... can't imagine they are all working on UC4. They must have a crew working on a 2nd game as well. Pity, it's the last game in the UC series. However, I'm definitely looking forward now to a TLoU 2 using the same engine and algo's. Pity, we likely won't see that game until 2017.... when the PS4 is in its 4th year.

Silly question... so cut scenes in UC4 are rendered in-game ? Meaning the transition between cut scenes and game is seemless. Perhaps, cut scenes can be rendered with a notch more effects.
It's the last UC game involving Drake of course which doesn't mean the engine wont be used for future Uncharted game with new main characters. But like you said TLOU2 would most likely use the engine and benefit a ton from further improvements and new techniques. And yeah all cutscenes are realtime according to ND, it blends in to gameplay seamlessly just like The Order. TROTR however has much higher quality cutscene than its gameplay and often times the transition is jarring. I think ND did an excellent job in that regard.

If you had objective proof of the improvements instead of "because I say so" we'd be more inclined to believe you. But since you are making inferences from wildly different situations from the game the changes you're claiming to see might very well be attributed to those differences in scenery.

That can't be said about motion blur, hence it's been recognized as an improvement without question ;).

EDIT: See, this is a good comparison to make inferences about improvements:

http://i.imgur.com/XsEBVKG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3zEKb0b.jpg

Last edited:

Here's the video you speak of. Fun watch. Nolan North was hilarious as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back