Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure only Crytek is able to improve how a game looks over a span of 16 months L. Scofield, and only on an Xbox platform as well :smile:

I am not going to try to convince you, i am sure digital foundry will cover any differences in 3 months.

it's too hard to gauge evolution/improvements with different scenes, lighting conditions alone can make a character look completely different, we'll have to wait until final release to compare same scenes as early builds.

I'm intrigued. In the cutscene where nate meets his brother, at around 3:30, when drake start telling his stories, the scene cross fades into the next morning, whith both scenes in motion simultaneously. How are they doing that in real time? They can't be renderig two diferent scenes at full screen every frame. That is a complex environment. Interleaving between the two and faking motiong through velocity buffer extrapolation?

By the way, regarding AA. It seems like they are using something similar to the UE4 TSSAA

taa1k2jto.gif

The end result looks like it's super-sampled, are there any major drawbacks to using this technique? I'd hope more games jump on this train, i think it looks fantastic.

I'm intrigued. In the cutscene where nate meets his brother, at around 3:30, when drake start telling his stories, the scene cross fades into the next morning, whith both scenes in motion simultaneously. How are they doing that in real time? They can't be renderig two diferent scenes at full screen every frame. That is a complex environment. Interleaving between the two and faking motiong through velocity buffer extrapolation?
It's a video playing, and the world will survive, we will still go round and round the sun, we will all be fine even though it might not exactly be real time?

Oh yes i noticed that in Fallout 4 and their TAA implementation. I am really impressed by the output in the MP beta though, it doesn't seem to have major issues and covers everything evenly.

The PSX first reveal still looks impressive to me. Not sure how the skin shading is different or the hair. It's still not real hair primitives and the skin shading is still using albedo maps with the inverted normal back lighting.. so.. yea, not seeing any real difference between this reveal and the first reveal.

Also, almost borderline CGI? Ok.

I am not going to try to convince you, i am sure digital foundry will cover any differences in 3 months.
If there are any.

It's not really a complex environment. The first shot contains pretty much just the ocean and the second one low-poly distant buildings.

The game in its current state already looks bordering CGI.
As good as those "cutscenes" look, they are nowhere close to CGI. Even an old film such as The Phantom Menace (1999 release) stomps it. Besides, the faces especially when animating are charting into the Uncally Valley for me.

So far, gameplay captures that I've seen so far from Uncharted 4 already looks outmatched by a few titles, i.e Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Batman: Arkham Knight and Crysis 3 :>

Looks the same to me too.. not sure what some of you think changed.

In any case, I'm not a "cutscene = gameplay graphics" kind of guy.. so I need to see more gameplay.
Most of the time it transitions straight into gameplay
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last gif Drake seems a little different. looks like the model changed a little bit. He looks more realistic now

This thread took a funny turn, how long till modded Skyrim starts showing up :LOL:

A totally irrelevant gif
1_1ljp3orhjkh.gif

I am sure nothing has changed since E3, some of you have checked out your logic card trying to promote your agendas :LOL:

Just some simple math for you
  • PSX -> E3 = Approx 180 days
  • E3 -> Release date = Approx 270 days
I will be sure to update that gif when the final game hits.

Last edited:
And now with concrete evidence in the thread directly contradicting the hypothesis of both L. Scofield and VFX_Veteran(that in fact, nothing has changed since PSX [a year ago], and scene by scene lighting variations are to blame for improved visual fidelity), both are never to be seen again until the next bullet point for complaining shows up, repeating the same process.

I love the internet.

Edit: Just to turn this thread back on track a bit, some highlights from my ~50 MP games the last few days, showcasing various different gameplay mechanics in the game

Last edited:
And now with concrete evidence in the thread directly contradicting the hypothesis of both L. Scofield and VFX_Veteran(that in fact, nothing has changed since PSX [a year ago], and scene by scene lighting variations are to blame for improved visual fidelity), both are never to be seen again until the next bullet point for complaining shows up, repeating the same process.

I love the internet.

Edit: Just to turn this thread back on track a bit, some highlight from my ~50 MP games the last few days

That's not concrete evidence dude. You are comparing shots of different lighting conditions for sure. The hand in those shots looks like one is being lit by a different environment sky..also the hand on the right is pulled away more so you can't see any of the intricate details of the pores on it (like the left).

The 3 heads have different "looks" pertaining to the environment. 1st one - Drakes' hair is wet with different light source. 2nd one - seems to have less shadow around him and sun lit the back of his body. 3rd one is completely different lighting angles, etc..

We can't simply say there have been improvements to lighting and shading just because we are seeing different lit shots. Ask yourself - what specifically could have been improved? Higher res textures or just touched up textures, different SSS algorithm - or just some tweaked SSS values in the already produced skin shader, moving lights around or a new way of lighting? etc..

I think what me and Scofield is saying is that there doesn't appear to be any newfound tech that they just replaced since the early reveal. Polishing up some maps, tweaking some parameters, moving some lights, etc.. are par with the course of development. It's not like they went from geometry ribbons sprites for hair to actual polygonal curves with light scattering and AO with self-shadowing for the hair.

No one said completely different rendering tech, i think everyone is talking about improvements. The most obvious is the gif i posted above, exact same scene, exact same frame, two completely different scenes tonally. And that's from E3 some months ago from a build whoever knows how old right now. Expecting various small improvements before release is just simple, normal procedure by every dev for all games not just ND and Uncharted. It's disrespectful towards the people currently working their ass off at ND to say they've done or will do nothing to improve the game before release. And yes, the PSX 2015 footage looks the best out of everything they've showed, again, that is not surprising. And like i said, i'll update the exact same scene at release to see what's changed and what is not.

Last edited:
And no matter how you want to spin it this:
PaltryHighlevelGerenuk.gif

Is impressive that it's running real-time on a Ps4, which is by no means a tech powerhouse. Getting something like that to run on "budget hardware" takes a lot of time and a lot of work. Something has to be said about the people who fight with limited resources everyday to produce something visually pleasing, instead of just saying "they'll have to buy better hardware to play what i am going to code".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back