Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an incremental update quite bad experience (local account, not Microsoft Account).
  • Default printer was preserved, but Fax and XPS printers reappeared.
  • Drivers for integrated sound and memory card reader were gone.
  • Antivirus was gone.
  • Some settings from Power Profile were reset to default.
  • Wallpaper was gone, black background instead.
Sucks, to be honest, if this kind of updates start to happen 2..4 times a year.

When I finished the update, the monitor screen announced, "All your settings have been preserved!" (or somesuch; not English language), and no way to click away the screen. Typing furiously on the keyboard did nothing, I then noticed capslock LED did not toggle when pushing the key.

Keyboard unresponsive. Lol, thank you microsoft. Re-plugged the USB connector, and everything was OK after that. Not noticed anything missing, but then again, I hardly had anything installed to begin with... :p

I think this may be a unique situation where this is actually the first business facing release of Windows 10. We'll find out soon enough though ;)

sorry I should of been more clear, I meant use my phone to get/check my windows account password online with email, so I could log in to the PC with this PW.

For an incremental update quite bad experience (local account, not Microsoft Account).
  • Default printer was preserved, but Fax and XPS printers reappeared.
  • Drivers for integrated sound and memory card reader were gone.
  • Antivirus was gone.
  • Some settings from Power Profile were reset to default.
  • Wallpaper was gone, black background instead.
Sucks, to be honest, if this kind of updates start to happen 2..4 times a year.
The power profile settings going back to default where the monitor shuts off might have been a contributing factor for my (Catleap) monitor no longer wanting to recognize that it is in fact connected to a gpu, since it was previously resuming from being off with screen corruption. The timing bugs me heh.

took overnight to finish my tablet upgrade to the new W10

• Its slow in boot and show after boot (probably still doing some stuff in background?)
  • it says "all your files are still here" but after final reboot, windows says "Intel smart conect has been uninstalled".
  • Safely Remove Icon on systray now "Metro" but the pop up still "normal classic windows".
  • Brightnes still very limited to 4 preset. The "slide to change brightness gradually" on W8 still gone.
  • power profile "on battery" was reset
  • Edge now have annoying "get started" window
  • Edge now can type after new tab (previously you need to select the search bar first)
  • DEVICE MANAGER have completely new icon that did not represent the previous icon at all

EDIT:
scratch that, the slow down probably due to my Samsung OEM SSD decay. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19621819

unfortunately samsung did not provide fix for OEM SSD. so i need to completely back it up and wipe it clear and full restore to get performance back. Bummer

Last edited:
There are official X-Fi drivers for Windows 10.

You can also get the current X-Fi Support Pack made by that Daniel_K fellow.
Latest Daniel_K pack worked great and access to the X-Fi functions now as well. Beautiful music back again, thanks!

Has it been there for a while or was it the recent update that brought back the "Scan with Windows Defender..." option?

Remember how they said they would bring back more info about updates?
It opens a Bing Search browser window 'check for updates in windows 10' :rolleyes:

Started using Cortana the other day. Actually it's pretty good, if somewhat limited. I'm sure people will hack it to do more interesting things later. The speech recognition seems very good.

Took me a while to work out how to (with voice) close the window that stays open after you give her a command. "Hey Cortana... never mind" does the trick.

I downgraded to W10 from 8.1 Update last weekend. It's a fucking nightmare. The list of problems I'm having is so long that it simply isn't worth listing.

As an example: One Drive on my PC won't show what's online. I discovered this when I saw that my recycle bin was stuffed with everything from One Drive. It won't sync now. My phone sees the online files, but the PC won't. The files were "recycled" at precisely the time the downgrade to W10 completed last Sunday.

Jawed, was that an "in place update" or did you do a clean install? From what I've seen on other forums, sometimes users encounter issues on an updated system that doesnt happen on clean installs. Unfortunately thats a bit more time consuming to do and be back to the same place with programs reinstalled.

Yep, in-place. The amount of pain a re-install would cause is on another level. I waited until the November update because of the 512 limit on apps in the start menu.

I've just discovered that subtitles on MPC playback are broken. The list just keeps growing.

I've got 3 weeks left to decide whether to return to 8.1. I wonder if that will even work.

Damn, that's rough, I feel for you... I'm dragging my heels on reinstalling my rig to get it to properly validate as win10 pro, and I only have a barebones amount of stuff installed! :p

Microsoft appears to have entered a parallel universe of fuckwittery (cue Davros, "They never left it"):

https://support.office.com/en-sg/ar...ws-Vista-83ab0d8a-8400-45b0-8dcf-dc8aa8a6bcf8

"Unlike in Windows 8.1, OneDrive in Windows 10 doesn’t use placeholder files to indicate files that are online only. Instead, you see only the files you choose to sync to your computer."

So I fixed this by telling it to link all my OneDrive folders from OneDrive settings. Deeply stupid. "Oh hey, you've upgraded, let me just hide the files for you. I won't mention that you need to re-sync manually by choosing what needs to be synced the next time you look at OneDrive."

Dropbox had to be re-installed, just so that it could show upload status icons on each file/folder.

sfc /scannow found corrupt DLLs and fixed them. I still can't play Tanks for more than a few minutes. (And not just Tanks, but other games are hanging the PC the same way).

When I went to do the "upgrade to W10" icon on my taskbar it went to Update and downloaded the ~3GB installer. The original W10 update had downloaded sometime in the month after W10 was launched.

Also my update history refers to "Windows 10 Version 1511".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back