All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sales chart from from Sony Playstation South Korea presentation [25+ devs working on new games, few PSVR games announced]:
screenshot-11_4_2015-glume.jpg

MGSV sure did pushed console sales in SK. Highlighted 2 week sales are for pricedrop.

Historical data (rankings) from August and September?
Not quite sure what you're asking. But any pre-order of the Halo 5 bundle made at amazon prior to October will not contribute to Amazon's monthly October sales rank. Amazon's monthly October sales rank are strictly from orders made in the month of October.

Not quite sure what you're asking. But any pre-order of the Halo 5 bundle made at amazon prior to October will not contribute to Amazon's monthly October sales rank. Amazon's monthly October sales rank are strictly from orders made in the month of October.
Ok, but the same goes for Uncharted bundles in Sept. and Star Wars bundles in Aug and Sept. It's not like XBO is the only one with pre-order sales.

The Star Wars bundles don't come out until November so they will not count towards NPD's October report.
As for Uncharted, that's true and all, and while Uncharted has sold close to Halo numbers worldwide, it is not on the same level as Halo in the US. Not to mention this is a remastered collection, not a full mainline release like Halo 5. This is pretty telling (click on the sales rank tab):

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Xbox-One-1TB-Console-Guardians-Limited/product/B0136JP9OS?context=browse
http://camelcamelcamel.com/PlayStat...ollection-4/product/B014U0GRXE?context=browse

The Uncharted bundle didn't pick up until Sony dropped the price in October. If it was an Uncharted 4 bundle, things might be a bit different. But still... Uncharted isn't quite on the same level as Halo in the US.

Last edited:
And there you go, the Halo bundle wasn't even in the top 100 for half of Aug and all of Sept, that jives with my failing memory of where things were. Amazon has been a sales trend marker and a fairly reliable one, but since its not a hard data point you can't drill down into it and you'd need something to have happened to buck the trend, to which, Oct doesn't look anything more special than any of the other months this yr

And TombRaider was free on PS+

I was gonna say this. Both games ended up either free on PS+ or deeply discounted fairly quickly after launch.

SE sees mto do thjis alot with their games and so I never buy a Square Enix game at launch because you only ever have to wait a few weeks before you can buy it first hand for half the price.

I was asking (without doing the research myself); do you have the Amazon rankings for August and September? And yes, I do know how pre-orders work... ;)

MS Halo 5 PR

http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/?linkId=18493755

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime. With the highest week one attach rate for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One, the game was the most played of any game on Xbox One, as well as the most played on Xbox Live.

Last week’s Halo 5: Live earned a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for the most watched video game launch broadcast, setting a precedent with more than 330,000 unique streams on the evening of the broadcast. Additionally, content from the broadcast generated 5.5 million total views throughout the week. This resulted in a spike in digital sales of Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week.

So, a fairly wishy washy statement once you drill down. Of course Halo 5 is the best selling XBO exclusive to date. However the $400 million games/hardware is a informative number to some extent. That would be 6.7 million copies at $60 per if it was all software. Of course it specifically isn't...

At least the PR hints at good digital sales. This means more than GTA V or any previous third party title since they dont limit it to exclusives. But I note by limiting the other quotes to XBO exclusives they exclude Titanfall.

Even looking at the Amazon charts though, I cant believe the Halo 5 LE bundle is 499! Seems MS could have easily won October on Amazon had they even priced it at 399, let alone 349 or 299. 499 is insane.

And there you go, the Halo bundle wasn't even in the top 100 for half of Aug and all of Sept, that jives with my failing memory of where things were. Amazon has been a sales trend marker and a fairly reliable one, but since its not a hard data point you can't drill down into it and you'd need something to have happened to buck the trend, to which, Oct doesn't look anything more special than any of the other months this yr

The Halo 5 bundle was #24 for August and #56 for September. Certainly that is enough pre-sales to push it over the top for October, it is only separated from the PS4 bundle by 6 spots (#19 vs #25).

with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware

With a $500 console and controller & headset that can mean a lot less games were sold, which is why they are not saying. Sneaky MS.

Also:
Ubisoft did note that digital revenue is up significantly compared to the first half of last fiscal year. Full game and add-ons sold via digital distribution mechanisms now represent 48.3 percent of total sales, up from 27.8 percent in the same period

I dont know if you can take that at face value since they didn't have a massive retail release this quarter I guess.

With a $500 console and controller & headset that can mean a lot less games were sold, which is why they are not saying. Sneaky MS.

Gotta love modern MS marketing department and public relations people. As someone who work in ad biz from time to time, I have to say they are geniouses. Obfuscate any relevant informantion as much as you can and make every message to seem positive. Game didn't sell as much as some previous entry - just add hardware in to mix. Oh, you think about attachment rate of the game... sorry... we don't release console numbers anymore but what we can say is that our active Xbox live accounts are higher then ever. Oh yeah, don't forget digital sales, including game + microtransactions (from the first week). It all goes to revenue. Profit? Microsoft makes tens of billions of profit overall, so don't worry about it dude.

Seems a very pessimistic in here.
To investors what value does it bring to shareholders what the units are, why would that value be more important than revenue? You could have 20 million sold, but it was all bought at $0.99 is worthless.

Honest question guys, the only people that care about units sold are gamers, because as gamers we are linked into the multiplayer population, where numbers do matter: but even then what value are units sold if people aren't playing your game? I need hours played, I need median and average of active population. I need to the know the number of games played per playlist.

But outside of that, why would investors care? By releasing numbers you only open yourself for gamers to judge whether a product is a success or a failure, when publishers and investors are the ones who are judging whether the franchise and product is still successful - and that comes down to revenue. Unit data is only 1 aspect, one I feel everyone here has been putting way too much value on, without of course the revenue aspect of it.

It's going to be the same thing for lots of big releases going forward. You guys should get used to it. Soon enough there will be very little unit sales data, and you're going to just see revenue numbers going forward. As for why they bundled Halo, it makes sense to bundle all things around Halo if you wanted information to continue spending additional money on this franchise. $400 million is a decent number, it's nothing to scoff at and it's potential for additional sales will continue well into the holidays.

I was asking (without doing the research myself); do you have the Amazon rankings for August and September? And yes, I do know how pre-orders work... ;)
August (H5 Bundle rank 24, the highest selling XB1 SKU for the month)
September (Halo 5 didn't chart).

The Halo 5 bundle was #24 for August and #56 for September. Certainly that is enough pre-sales to push it over the top for October, it is only separated from the PS4 bundle by 6 spots (#19 vs #25).
Actually the H5 bundle didn't chart in September (I think you mistook it for the Forza bundle).
But considering the H5 bundle was the highest ranking XB1 SKU for August and the XB1 sold 202K in that month, they may have 230K+ pre-sales prior to October.

The top ranking PS4/XB1 SKUs weren't separated by much, but there were also other SKUs in the top 100 with the PS4 also leading. So it's a difficult month to predict. I'm also guessing the XB1 will have a small lead though. Only reason why I think it's close is because Abdiel at GAF said that the PS4 was leading at BestBuy.

Last edited:
Abdiel ALWAYS posts something positive for Sony, though. Without usually actually saying anything specific. Did he say that for the month for the entire chain PS4 led? That would be interesting. But more likely he was just talking about "his district" or whatever, with no way to prove anything. I guess to say I dont really trust him since again, he's obviously pretty biased.

Microsoft only won November and December last year, so encroaching into October would be a plus (assuming they continue to hold the latter two). And while there's Halo 5, the PS4's price cut in the same month is a bigger deal, or should be.

Anyways, MS obviously knows the US market better than Sony, and they're working pretty aggressively pre-black friday with tons of deals. It appears we may not see a nominal XBO price drop, but they are packing in loads of software, gift cards, and controllers. Then, I expect the price to effectively be 299 this Black Friday, which for all the deals we didn't see last BF. Then again, I'd expect at least one retailer to go to 299 for PS4 on BF as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back