News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not entirely true. I've seen and continue to see lots of games announced for PC and PS4 and not XB1 from indies (and a few PC+XB1 and not PS4). The reasons for that might not have to do with install base but it can't be assumed that all platforms are going to get all games.

edit: another two announced as such today on EG
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-zeno-clash-dev-announces-the-deadly-tower-of-monsters
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-tales-of-zestiria-to-get-western-release-this-october

If you start looking at indies, then sure you're going to find titles not available on XB1. That was the case on the 360 too. But if you look at the non-indie publishers(which I think was Rancid's point) there should be very few not made on both systems unless they are exclusives(console, timed, etc)...

EDIT: dobwal beat me to it
Tommy McClain

And there is either two or three reasons for that reality.
Well, sure, I said as much. The developer environment and how well MS or Sony treat their devs for one. I know a dev who's relationship with Sony has soured since PS3 because they seem less interested in smaller parties now. But your third point I think is the most important here - regionalised interest means regionalised libraries (see PS and Japanese titles) and that's something that a limited console distribution is likely going to suffer. Which can have knock-on effects, although I don't think XB1 is going to be massively affected. But, if you're a US gamer who likes some Japanese wierdness and that's not coming to XB1 because it has no Japanese presence, say, then you'll want to buy PS4. And that in turn affects the US install base if too many side with the broader library.

For the most of the popular titles with good sales that don't have an exclusivity agreement or are not first party, more than likely they will support multiple platforms.
I agree. However, the library is made up of lots of titles including not amazingly popular ones, and I for one wouldn't want to buy a platform that'll miss out. Hence, though XB1 sales aren't poor, MS should do a lot to attract development. Their policies to date have actually discouraged that, but I think they're updating as necessary. It's a shame for them they haven't got the console-as-devkit working yet.

Though there's the outside chance that they've lost interest there as Windows offers an easier platform and is fully supported by developers.

(which I think was Rancid's point)
Maybe, but he certainly didn't phrase it as such. "Any 3rd party making a console game is going to make it for both platforms." That's not happening. It's important to understand why and what the repercussions could be (hmmm, maybe not in this thread! ;))

It's a shame for them they haven't got the console-as-devkit working yet.

Agreed. I think they would also do well if they had another XBLIG type-sandbox development. Hopefully something that's not as restrictive as before(peer review, no achievements/leaderboards, no Internet access, no Kinect support). Supposedly ID@Xbox was that answer, but I feel it missed the mark for the hobbyists. Project Spark could have been the answer for hobbyists, but with no way to sell or distribute the games by themselves I don't think it will excel either.

Maybe, but he certainly didn't phrase it as such. "Any 3rd party making a console game is going to make it for both platforms." That's not happening. It's important to understand why and what the repercussions could be (hmmm, maybe not in this thread! ;))

You're just a tad literal aren't you? ;)

Tommy McClain

Bah, E3 leaks are boring this year, which I am only half upset about...

The Oculus deal could be interesting, but the virtual living room feature is a bit weird to me. Hopefully that is not all they have.

It's a shame for them they haven't got the console-as-devkit working yet..

Sadly its all waiting for Windows 10 and everything that brings (winrt vnext/one store/ beta channel etc) ... Everything and i mean everything is pivoting on win10 (threshold) - phone, xbox, pc, tablets ... until they get that out everything is in wait mode!

The info from MS the other day was rather interesting, sadly it was one of those that is punishable by death type of things. The marketplace will surely get more crowded once win10 is out on the device, I just hope they drastically improve how they are going to separate all that stuff.

Current store in Win10 beta is drastically better than Win8, but still so far away from being a great store front.

That's not entirely true. I've seen and continue to see lots of games announced for PC and PS4 and not XB1 from indies (and a few PC+XB1 and not PS4). The reasons for that might not have to do with install base but it can't be assumed that all platforms are going to get all games.

edit: another two announced as such today on EG
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-zeno-clash-dev-announces-the-deadly-tower-of-monsters
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-tales-of-zestiria-to-get-western-release-this-october

It's definitely a lot more complicated than install base.

With indie developers it's going to be more about limited development funds combined with which platform holder is giving them a better deal and/or support with porting their game to their platform. Usually, it'll eventually come to whatever platform didn't get it first. Assuming the title was successful enough to warrant expending funds on another port. If not then it likely wasn't financially successful on the first console it launched on and thus porting to a second console might not be justified. Or it could be that in exchange for assistance in porting to the first platform, they were required to sign an exclusivity deal.

For example, Warframe (incredibly successful indie PC F2P FPS) launched first on PS4 but was then later ported to XBO as well. On the other hand Smite (incredibly successful indie PC F2P MOBA) is XBO exclusive for now, but will likely get a PS4 port at some point in the future. Those are easy as they are large enough and successful enough that it's not a question of if it will eventually be ported to another platform, but when.

For smaller indie titles, that becomes much less certain. If the developer is small enough porting to one console or the other could represent a significant risk. If that doesn't result in enough of a success to validate that risk, it's unlikely they'll take the risk in porting to another console.

It's rare to have an indie developer that is so big and so successful that they can afford to port to both consoles (or more as some target Wii-U, 3DS, and occasionally VITA as well) simultaneously. Usually it'll be one console platform followed by another then another, etc.

PS4 having the larger install base means that it's more likely to be the first targetted console. With XBO tagged as getting a port ASAP, if possible. But as Smite shows above, larger install base isn't always the determining factor.

Regards,
SB

You won't see a support for Xbox from mid- and low-tier japanese studios.
Atlus (Persona), Falcom (Legend of the Heroes), NIS (Disgaea), etc. That's a lot of good niche games.

Even from big ones: Namco and Tales, Square and Star Ocean.

$175 for your 360 or PS3 at Best Buy...

CHgTYOFW8AEKYSN.png

Good time to get in.

Tommy McClain

If you start looking at indies, then sure you're going to find titles not available on XB1. That was the case on the 360 too. But if you look at the non-indie publishers(which I think was Rancid's point) there should be very few not made on both systems unless they are exclusives(console, timed, etc)...

EDIT: dobwal beat me to it
Tommy McClain

Yeah, when I was referring to 3rd parties, I'm not referring to Indies.. They are their own very specific group that have different needs and constraints, but I guess it is fair for Shift to consider them a subgroup of 3rd parties and therefore included in my overly generalized statement.

Regardless, I think the point was clear for most folk.

On to E3!

I had a question to the few anti-cross platform folks we had here:

Do you see the BC and cross chat and cross play functionality with the 360 as a good thing or bad? I believe the concerns were that the experiences of the users would be different because of the different hardware. What are your thoughts now that it has been announced?
What would your thoughts be if all these things were true, but BC titles were also upscaled or had some other smaller benefit?

Recore looked good, BC compatibility impressive. MS E3 off to good start.
Yes, but I want some Recore gameplay! It has my interest and hype, unless it ends up being a 2D side scroller with just a really good reveal trailer.

Not really a rumor, but it seems all the Xbox One stores are down. Website, Win10 app, Win8 app, X1 itself. Sigh, I just want Elite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back