News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
for those (like me) who are looking for a new external HD for their console, IGN wrote this excellent article on the matter.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/11/the-best-xbox-one-external-hard-drive

They recommend the Western Digital MyBook, 130$, 4TB, and much better load times than the original hard drive included with the Xbox One.

xr1vc.png

Also the docking station they show in the article sounds like another good option.

But isn't Oculus releasing their own controller anyway? Not sure why Oculus needed a gamepad specifically to be bundled.
Price? The official controller is surely more expensive than an XB one. Dunno what its 'sensors' are. Have that as a premium option and the XB controller as a cheap bundled solution.

Don't fully understand the Xbox, Oculus deal. Microsoft puts gamepads in the hand of more PC gamers, which is probably beneficial to their Windows 10 plans. What does Oculus get out of it? Money? Wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement at E3, like Forza being bundled with Oculus on PC.

As well as what Shifty said: more people buying their headsets for the XBO.

Price? The official controller is surely more expensive than an XB one. Dunno what its 'sensors' are. Have that as a premium option and the XB controller as a cheap bundled solution.

And not all games are as well suited to the Touch contols. I'd rather play a third person platformer or a racer, or a fligh sim on the game pad for example.

Unlike laptop peasants, desktop master race MBs do not come with bluetooth.
You certainly can get motherboards with onboard Bluetooth and a connector for an antenna. We source many of these at work and these aren't new. The ASUS board I bought for my Pentium 4 PC donkey's years ago had this.

[QUITE]Also afaik connecting DS4 via bluetooth device makes it unaccessible for other uses.[/QUOTE]
If you have a Bluetooth chipset or antenna that can only manage one connection, yes. But that would be the case for any device connected.

Don't fully understand the Xbox, Oculus deal. Microsoft puts gamepads in the hand of more PC gamers, which is probably beneficial to their Windows 10 plans. What does Oculus get out of it? Money? Wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement at E3, like Forza being bundled with Oculus on PC.

Full compatibility out the box with a bunch of games whose control schemes are built with a gamepad in mind. No D-pad or bumpers may be problematic for a lot of titles.

That and OR VR controllers won't be available at launch.

You certainly can get motherboards with onboard Bluetooth and a connector for an antenna. We source many of these at work and these aren't new. The ASUS board I bought for my Pentium 4 PC donkey's years ago had this.
There are, but they are rare and needlessly expensive. Most PCs thus do not have one.

Thats not going to be limited to XBO games but rather all non VR games.
yea its for games that haven't been built for VR in mind. I totally understand that. Just the way it was presented, perhaps some better verbiage around it before showcasing it.

Oculus get to not spend 100 million that Microsoft said they spend developing said pad is probably the big one.

Also its already in existence which is probably good for their developers, its a known entity, leave them to worry about vr and not the pad.

Thats not going to be limited to XBO games but rather all non VR games. The virtual theatre seems to be a OR creation but a MS one.

I suppose it's easy to enavle and stands as a potential value add, certainly means folks who early adopt could use it as a gimmick while real vr content is less plentiful.

yea its for games that haven't been built for VR in mind. I totally understand that. Just the way it was presented, perhaps some better verbiage around it before showcasing it.
I wonder if that concept will have value to people living in crap accommodation? Would being able to put on a headset and play 2D games in a virtual, spacious home environment and not the shitty, cockroach infested studio apartment give a sense of relief?

I wonder if that concept will have value to people living in crap accommodation? Would being able to put on a headset and play 2D games in a virtual, spacious home environment and not the shitty, cockroach infested studio apartment give a sense of relief?
Indeed, or being able to have a theatre experience anywhere in your home, like outside on your balcony/porch/backyard, etc.

The cinema experience was originally created for movies for Oculus, I assume this was just an easy adoption for them to incorporate game streaming into this application. However the reaction to it has been generally uninformed, myself included in that audience - I only got to see the video of the demonstrator playing the game, any wording around the demo was edited out of the video.

The Xbox One is seen as a failure but I have not seen a massive "abandon ship" from publishers/developers like WiiU: that for me will be the sign that XO is a lost cause.
Maybe publishers/developers will abandon it, maybe soon maybe never, but so far Xbox One still has a significant presence/place on the market.

Huh? What? The only actual redeemable thing about the "console wars" and such is that there is a legit fact - if your console can't sell enough units to get 3rd part support, your console will die. We see that with the WiiU, and lots of other N consoles that only survived based upon their stellar IP. Neither MS or Sony has the IP that N has, so they both absolutely rely upon 3rd parties.

The XB1 has already surpassed any barrier as to whether a 3rd party would decided whether or not to port a game initially designed for the PS4 to the XB1.

In my opinion, that is the only point of "console wars". Does your console sell enough to get 3rd party support? In the case the of the WiiIU, the answer was clearly NO. But in terms of XB1/PS4 sales, MS has closed the gap enough that it doesn't matter. Any 3rd party making a console game is going to make it for both platforms.

Nobody is abandoning the Xbox platform, especially not now, as MS is spending untold millions of dollars of resources to combine Xbox and PC gaming. That market is leagues larger than just the console market.

Also the docking station they show in the article sounds like another good option.

I've been considering getting a dock myself. I was wanting one that could accommodate 2 hard drives: one for the XB1 & one for the 360. Wished I didn't need 2 separate drives & could just create 2 different partitions instead. Anyway, I could only find one dock that had 2 separate USB 3.0 connections...

61zviD5KSnL._SX522_.jpg

http://amzn.com/B00L67XHHE

Unfortunately it's $60 & that's evidently on sale. Just a bit much for me considering I still need to buy the hard drives. Good thing I don't need it right now. I think I will wait a bit longer to see if it drops in cost or another option comes up.

Tommy McClain

I suppose it's easy to enavle and stands as a potential value add, certainly means folks who early adopt could use it as a gimmick while real vr content is less plentiful.

We can think of it as gimmicky but I guess the choice was between a virtual theater or virtual void. I personally find it analogous to a desktop theme or background image. And black backgrounds aren't usually the background of choice when talking about your typical PC, smartphone, tab or console user.

May be ORVR did some experiments and found that people didn't like the ideal of being banished to a virtual phantom zone every time they wanted to watch movies or play non VR titles with the OR.

Last edited:
Any 3rd party making a console game is going to make it for both platforms.
That's not entirely true. I've seen and continue to see lots of games announced for PC and PS4 and not XB1 from indies (and a few PC+XB1 and not PS4). The reasons for that might not have to do with install base but it can't be assumed that all platforms are going to get all games.

edit: another two announced as such today on EG
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-zeno-clash-dev-announces-the-deadly-tower-of-monsters
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-tales-of-zestiria-to-get-western-release-this-october

There are, but they are rare and needlessly expensive. Most PCs thus do not have one.
Yes, supporting bluetooth on the motherboard adds about 10c to the board of a board. I know this because we've had to have boards made specially for certain applications. We recycle the old antennas.

That's not entirely true. I've seen and continue to see lots of games announced for PC and PS4 and not XB1 from indies (and a few PC+XB1 and not PS4). The reasons for that might not have to do with install base but it can't be assumed that all platforms are going to get all games.

edit: another two announced as such today on EG
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-zeno-clash-dev-announces-the-deadly-tower-of-monsters
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-12-tales-of-zestiria-to-get-western-release-this-october

And there is either two or three reasons for that reality. One, someone paid for exclusivity. Two, not enough resources for simultaneous development and the title did not return enough revenue to warrant a port to other platforms. Or three, title is suited for a particular region where other platforms are not popular.

For the most of the popular titles with good sales that don't have an exclusivity agreement or are not first party, more than likely they will support multiple platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back