GC mobile suit Gundam, DOA:online screens

What is it with the Japanese obsession over the One Year War (Gundam) universe? There are so many other better series out there, like Zeta, Char's Counterattack (movie), SEED, etc. (ZZ was ok).

Seriously, of all the Gundam games that have come out this gen, 95% of them have been One Year War. UGH. Hell, the original Mobile Suit Gundam was CANCELED in 1979 before it even finished.. the reruns slowly got popular, and thus Zeta was created after it. The original isn't even very good :p

While the Zaku's and Gouf's are rather classic, the RX-78 is just buttass ugly, and don't even get me started on the GunCannon/GunTank...

Perhapes it is straight-forward compared to later series - those get really complicated. Or maybe simply because it is *the* classic which started the whole thing. Or the rivalry between Amuro and Char is easy or interesting to recreate.

Onr thing - these two characters get star treatment in the Super Robot Taisen games - perhapes reflect Japanese opinion?

What is it with the Japanese obsession over the One Year War (Gundam) universe? There are so many other better series out there, like Zeta, Char's Counterattack (movie), SEED, etc. (ZZ was ok)

I don't even know where to start with such blasphemy!

Anyways there's even the original series (and the move remakes) only cover the last 3rd of the one year war. there's quite a lot to use as a resource for material since the scale was so large.

In any case, most fans tend to be true to Tomino's newtype-centric works and the rest as garbage. Me personally, I'm pretty tight with the One-Year War to the Char/Amuro conclusion of Char's Counterattack (with 0083 being my favourite)... SEED has been the only decent thing made IMO since 08th MS Team.

While the Zaku's and Gouf's are rather classic, the RX-78 is just buttass ugly, and don't even get me started on the GunCannon/GunTank...

Hehe, well that happens with time... Once Hajime Katoki's work started to show up, alot of stuff just plain started to look pretty bad and dated. Not too much unlike what's happened with Shoji Kawamori's Valkyries are in Macross (expecially with Zero's "prototypes" making the original series' production mecha look downright clunky)...

To get this a little back OT:

I've said it before - N should have done something like this long ago to try to capture market share.

Well it's not really up to Nintendo... They can approach Bandai and make them all sorts of offers, but it still more in Bandai's hands than Nintendo's.

In any case, I'm still waiting for Gundam Online to go final... I've enjoyed the little bit of beta time I had on a friend's account...

archie4oz said:
I don't even know where to start with such blasphemy!

Anyways there's even the original series (and the move remakes) only cover the last 3rd of the one year war. there's quite a lot to use as a resource for material since the scale was so large.

In any case, most fans tend to be true to Tomino's newtype-centric works and the rest as garbage. Me personally, I'm pretty tight with the One-Year War to the Char/Amuro conclusion of Char's Counterattack (with 0083 being my favourite)... SEED has been the only decent thing made IMO since 08th MS Team.

[OT] Hehe, well if you want to get technical about it, the Z/ZZ timeline with AEUG and Haman Khan is longer (and thus provides more material) than the One Year War :)

I think Zeta is the pinacle of the series by far, followed by SEED and the second half of ZZ (though if Char's Counterattack was an OVA, it would really rank up there).

It would seem that Sunrise/Bandai hit gold (finally) with SEED though, and will be able to create a universe that rivals Universal Century..

Perhaps the Japanese One Year War obsession comes from the fact that Amuro and Char were recognizable, reoccuring characters throughout MSG and later series. I mean, three quarters of the cast of Zeta were killed off or went brain dead by the time the series ended, and the ZZ cast were a little bi-polar what with the mood shift halfway through :)

Forget Char, I will always be Hamman Khan's bitch :)

edit: Mobile Suit Gundam is almost 25 years old now, is it even on TV anymore? How are today's Japanese youth supposed to know the story??

Hehe, well that happens with time... Once Hajime Katoki's work started to show up, alot of stuff just plain started to look pretty bad and dated. Not too much unlike what's happened with Shoji Kawamori's Valkyries are in Macross (expecially with Zero's "prototypes" making the original series' production mecha look downright clunky)...

Kunio Okawara's designs post-Mobile Suit Gundam have held up very well over the years, see something like the Mk II or Hyaku-Shiki circa 1984 as reference. Katoki, in contrast, really screwed the UC world up with his 0083 designs, as the GP0x mecha looked far more advanced than anything in Zeta/ZZ, yet were supposedly set three years before.. (I won't even get into his Sentinel designs hehe [S-Gundam, EX-S Gundam). That said, Okawara's work with SEED has been some of his best yet to date, IMO.

Granted Mobile Suit Gundam came out in 1979, when Super Robots like Mazinger Z and Raiden were all the rage, so I guess that had a large influence on the designs (then see the followup shift to gritty 'war machines' in the subsequent series). [/ot]

I'm sure Bandai's GC Gundam deal with Nintendo had a large part to do with the WonderSwan cancellation and getting a GBA license... (see Squenix and Crystal Chronicles for reference).

/me wonders how much MS would pay for a Gundam game.. heh.

passerby said:
Onr thing - these two characters get star treatment in the Super Robot Taisen games - perhapes reflect Japanese opinion?

No kidding. I've only ever played the translated SNES Super Robot Wars 3 on emulator (MOUSE SUPPORT!!!), but Amuro is so unbelievably overpowered in the Nu its ridulous. He (and Puru in the Quebeley) were the only two characters who could hit Sirococo at the end.. hehe. I favoured Camille in Zeta, but he was quickly made obsolete when I got funnel-equiped mechs :) (Amuro/Nu, Puru/Quebeley, Puru 2/Jagd Doga, etc)

Man that game was fun. Nothing beats taking Char/Quatro in the Hyaku Shiki and Judou in ZZ with their Hyper Mega Launchers and wiping out half the map in two turns :D

Now if only Banepresto could localize their games for NA :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

Mobile Suit Gundam is almost 25 years old now, is it even on TV anymore? How are today's Japanese youth supposed to know the story??

I think this just happens to be one of the things that is compulsory education for a Japanese citizen.

Looks cool. I'm not familiar with MSG but it's starting to look interesting now ;)
The screens remind me a bit of Robotech:Battlecry, which was also a nice game.

Zeta Gundam will always be the best in the series, atleast it's my personal favorite! Dig those 80s hairdos 8)

I don't know, I have never been a Gundum fan or interested in any Gundum thing, but the game I watched in the arcades got me. I saw interesting game play and I bought it, althought I have only played it once in its gorgeous 480p output.

Dismayed that in a world of cool mechs and robots that permeate both Eastern and Western science fiction, people do not know Gundam. 8)

Know now then, there are three names that ye shall remember always. Mazinger, Gettar Robo and Gundam. So significant are their contributions to robot fiction that as a tribute, all Super Robot Taisen games always feature these three.

Mazinger Z:
Before, there were giant robots that were remote controlled, or manipulated by other means. Mazinger Z by Go Nagai was the FIRST to have a pilot seated within a robot, controlling the machine. THE FIRST OF THEM ALL. Gaze on the thousands of piloted mechs and robots prevalent in science fiction, and know who is the grand daddy of them all.

Gettar Robo:
Also by Go Nagai. Gettar Robo introduced the concept of several units merging to form one giant mecha. Also introduced the concept that a robot can transform into different forms.

Gundam:
Prior to Gundam, all robot anime followed simple, childish plots - like power ranger. ;) Gundam introduced complex plots, characters and emotions - the first popularized matured robot anime series.

A very well done gundam fan page detailing the original Gundam universe. WARNING: lots of spoilers. But after reading thru, one can appreciate why the Amuro/Char conflict is held as a classic.

http://kame.usr.dsi.unimi.it:1111/gundam/gundam_new.html

passerby said:
Dismayed that in a world of cool mechs and robots that permeate both Eastern and Western science fiction, people do not know Gundam. 8)

Know now then, there are three names that ye shall remember always. Mazinger, Gettar Robo and Gundam. So significant are their contributions to robot fiction that as a tribute, all Super Robot Taisen games always feature these three.

Mazinger Z:
Before, there were giant robots that were remote controlled, or manipulated by other means. Mazinger Z by Go Nagai was the FIRST to have a pilot seated within a robot, controlling the machine. THE FIRST OF THEM ALL. Gaze on the thousands of piloted mechs and robots prevalent in science fiction, and know who is the grand daddy of them all.

Gettar Robo:
Also by Go Nagai. Gettar Robo introduced the concept of several units merging to form one giant mecha. Also introduced the concept that a robot can transform into different forms.

Gundam:
Prior to Gundam, all robot anime followed simple, childish plots - like power ranger. ;) Gundam introduced complex plots, characters and emotions - the first popularized matured robot anime series.

A very well done gundam fan page detailing the original Gundam universe. WARNING: lots of spoilers. But after reading thru, one can appreciate why the Amuro/Char conflict is held as a classic.

http://kame.usr.dsi.unimi.it:1111/gundam/gundam_new.html

Heh ! The old days, I would never forget Mazinger (and the later Z), Getter Robot, Ultraman and Kamen Raida. Gundum and Macross was also broadcasted in those days, but I couldn't find them interesting. Too many Japanese TV broadcast in those days.

Back