Bloodborne: [PS4] (From Software)

I'm really sitting on the fence with this one. I've never played a Souls game but I love RPGs and combat games but I'm totally perplexed as to whether I would enjoy Bloodborne. In many ways it sounds far too frustrating, in that you die so much, to play but at the same time it sounds like it's fun and possibly compelling in design. What to do?
Feel the same way. But I'll give it a try eventually.

Too bad indeed that all the objects are empty.
I mean what's the purpose of breaking jars if there are no cookies in them!? ;)

Last edited:
Assets are presented in spectacular way. Geometry, nice textures, particles, lightning, fog effects... Environments are super dense, there is not a flat surface is sight [DF mentioned that game uses tessellation to displace as much geometry as it can], everything is either filled with complex gothic architecture, or ruined in combat, or wasted by nature, or made from natural [uneven-looking] structures. Modeling, effect and lightning crews really did a an amazing job.

The only bad thing is aliasing [+shimmering] and framepacing [minimal framedrops are really not an issue, those occurrences are too rare]. RAD and Evoluition are still holding the crown of games with "perfect IQ presentation" on PS4.

One of the things I like the most about this game graphically is the Clothing Physics. Great (if sometimes unrealistic) use of it both on the main character and on enemies, especially some of the bosses.

One of the worst things about this game graphically, is the horrible rag doll effects. Corpses apparently all weigh about as much as tissue paper. :p It's a bit ridiculous.

That clothing physics though, love it.

Regards,
SB

Clothing is indeed great.
jg7vh.gif

As for ragdolls, they were present in earliers Souls games and Miyazaki views them as fun comedic moment in a very dark game.

As for my playthrough, I got to Forgotten Forest, and atmosfere is killing it. As a bonus, I just got Blades of Mercy and new armor! :D
cddchm.jpg

yrdrsu.jpg

Last edited:
Man I hope there's a noob friendly mode for noobs like me, so I can get to see all those beautiful levels and bosses sooner:).

Just a note, if you want to be able to equip everything in the game, apparently you need

30 Strength (Cannon)
14 Skill (Chikage)
18 Blood (Evelyn)
40 Arcane (A Call Beyond)

So ya keep this in mind if you want to have a hunter that does everything. I may have missed something but this is what I found so far.

Also attribute points are added most effectively up to 25. Effectiveness of 26~50 is about 1/2, and 50+ lowers it down to 1/8. So instead of pumping one attribute point up to 50+ (where the increase from 50->58 is the same as 48->50 and 24->25), you might as well as let all six attributes hit 25.

Last edited:
Finally got time in the weekend and killed Cleric in my second try :D ! My niece sits with me to guide me through and help have two brains at once. She also seems to be my lucky charms as I end up achieving if she is around in BB !

As for the Father, well, I brought him down to 90-95% health almost 5 times but end up dying. His last form is too fast and I end JP just dodging around. I have a good strategy but the last part goes very chaotic ! But boy that Boss fight is super awesome sight and sound show :D ! Awesome music and atmosphere ! Hope I kill it soon as I ahev explored everything there is to explore in the area before the fight.

BTW, Gilbert mentioned a shortcut to Cathedral via the sewers.....anyone found it?

As for Father...
Use his daughther's Music Box on him, that will give you one free Visceral attack on him, and then just evade and throw molotovs on him to finish him off.

BTW, Gilbert mentioned a shortcut to Cathedral via the sewers.....anyone found it?
I did not. After Father you have clear way of reaching Cathedral district. When there I fully recomend going down to Toomb of Oedon. Go to other zones when you finish BSB.

There's so much awesome shit bubbling beneath the game's surface it's just amazing. Yesterday I discovered what can only be described as Bloodborne's version of Dark Souls' "Painted World". I also died and woke up in a prison cell, got dragged into some sort of nightmare realm by a giant Lovecraftian monstrosity, and then I even found "Patches".

So far the game's been an absolute masterpiece, and I love how it keeps pulling the rug from underneath my feet time and time again.

I need to ask: do you unlock more moves later in the game?
I'm really bored by Bloodborne. Unless the combat evolves there's really nothing in this game for me.

I need to ask: do you unlock more moves later in the game?
I'm really bored by Bloodborne. Unless the combat evolves there's really nothing in this game for me.

There are no new moves, but each weapon has its own moveset. For example when you charge "rifle spear" player lunges forward for ~10m. Other weapons have different move and transform combinations.

Try some other weapon if your current one is not feeling good to you.

Was anyone's heart pounding fast when fighting Father werewolf lol? Mine was literally jumping to my throat the closer I got down his health, and the sick beats helped too!
still couldn't beat him after 5 tries :(

^Yep. That definitely happened to me there and on plenty more occasions later. Not counting other hunter type enemies, Gascoigne is almost tied for the spot of toughest boss battle for me so far (Amelia edges him out).

Last edited:
Killed the cleric on the first try, now in the sewers. I need to find out how to activate the elevator as a short cut. So far I have been very slow and careful.

Ok you win. I'm very impressed so far. Already had a couple of bit-too-much moments for my poor little heart. But colour me impressed.

To be perfectly honest, the loading time between deaths is kind of nice. It allows me to take a breath and get over my last blunder, and by the time it starts I'm ready to go again more energised. It feels nice compared to most games that thrust you in the game without giving you time to get over your last error.

Back