PS3-logo.png
31,400 - 54,688 - 7,443 - 120,620
PSV-logo.png
11,095 - 20,012 - 23,888 - 64,600
Wii-logo.png
8,337 - 7,607 - 204 - 17,853

VGChartz 13 dec

VGChartz #'s = Passable fiction.

vgchartz is at least reliable for historical data?

When we used to get complete NPD data every month they used to correct their numbers against those. Now that they don't always have those numbers to fix their guesses even the historical data is questionable. The only numbers that are complete and indisputable are the shipped numbers from the manufacturer's financial reports. Those numbers need to be interpreted though since they don't directly reflect market demand. Manufacturers can (and do) stuff the channel in certain quarters to artificially inflate those shipped numbers. You really need to have both the prior and following quarter also in order to properly evaluate a given quarter's performance.

I really wish VGChartz *were* reliable.

Don't really believe in VgChartz numbers, but I don't mind their numbers being posted here. If they ever do become reliable and somewhat accurate, I rather it happen before my eyes. Better that than miss the transition and stay a non believer in the site for the rest of my days because my opinion of them is rooted in evidence from years ago that no longer applies.

If you're not getting numbers then how can they be reliable?

Or is this now reliable data?

jXOOi03z4bWML.png

I think I misunderstood your point, then. If you're lamenting the lack of comprehensive numbers from NPD, then I'm with you. What numbers we do get from them, though, are solid. So, limited NPD is still > VGChartz.

In the case of that particular graph, though, we also (separately) got one number and were able to tie that number to one of the graph sections. Fairly basic math allows for deriving the other totals of the other sections from that graph, so that actually ended up being a pretty good info dump.

Don't really believe in VgChartz numbers, but I don't mind their numbers being posted here. If they ever do become reliable and somewhat accurate, I rather it happen before my eyes. Better that than miss the transition and stay a non believer in the site for the rest of my days because my opinion of them is rooted in evidence from years ago that no longer applies.

If they ever become reliable and somewhat accurate it will be fairly easy to determine even with the limited NPD numbers we do get. No reason you would "miss the transition". You can check after each NPD period. Post the numbers once they have met the burden of proof they they are consistently accurate to a reasonable degree. Until then, there is no more point in talking about their numbers than anything you or I could come up with.

If they ever become reliable and somewhat accurate it will be fairly easy to determine even with the limited NPD numbers we do get. No reason you would "miss the transition". You can check after each NPD period. Post the numbers once they have met the burden of proof they they are consistently accurate to a reasonable degree. Until then, there is no more point in talking about their numbers than anything you or I could come up with.

Easy to do if they are part of the discussion even if we don't make any effort to reflect on them. Not dismiss them and depend on someone someday going, "hey I've been tracking VgChartz numbers" and announcing "they are finally getting it right!!!". I, for one, am not interested in being the guy that tracks the data continuously for months or years and then needing to drop a large drove of data and calculations on the group to convince everybody about a website that years ago was banished to the depths of worthless info.

Its not like occasionally seeing their numbers here is going to make your eyes bleed. Maybe roll but not bleed. LOL.

They would be in trouble with the regulators if they advertised a limited time pricing promotion if in fact it was really the normal price

They would be in trouble with the regulators if they advertised a limited time pricing promotion if in fact it was really the normal price

The standard sku isn't $349 its $399 right now, so if they drop the ACU/ACBF sku and just reduce the standard sku to $349, I doubt they would run into trouble with regulators.

I imagine there's a lot of leeway here. Doubt there's any regulation against deciding to continue a lower price offer.

Anyways it would seem X1 will be a terrifically tough sell at 399 with no games, given the ridiculous deals flying around the last few months (heck Target had 349 Unity bundle with 70 gift card at one point, effectively making the console $280).

But I suppose maybe they're hoping to have recaptured the public's attention and see at least somewhat higher baseline sales now? That's about all I can see.

I could dig up the NPD, but at 1.2 million in November, I think it's a safe bet more X1's were sold in Nov/Dec in 2014 than all the previous 10 months combined, easily. And that would include a few early months were they were still reaping new product glow sales (before X1 sales fell off the cliff and they hastily had to ditch Kinect).

I'd wager they are going for a channel inventory flush prior to introducing a true price reduction to the retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back