SILENT HILLS

Kojima is still not sure about making the game third or first person. I would go with third person exteriors and first person for interiors, the camera could move into first person position as you open the door. Who's in with this?

I think always 1st person is the way to go for scary games like this. It gives that tighter more claustrophobic feel, as well as never quite knowing whats going on behind you. It also lets you play more with fov to make things seem closer or further than they really are, as well as make the rate of approach of things be more dramatic or unexpected.

Dunno, but the flying things in SH3 scared me the most, and that was primary because it was impossible to keep them into 3rd person camera view.
First person view rather detaches me from a game and you end up beeing a floating gun with a healthmeter - absolutely fine in shooters, not so if I have to care about a character that gets worn out as the game proceeds.
How would fleeing work, running backwards or running forwards with some bloodspatters if the things catch up to you? FP just doesnt gets you a view on the surroundings and with a gamepad you cant peek around easily.

Wont tease myself with anything. Just dont mess this up Kojima!

I think always 1st person is the way to go for scary games like this. It gives that tighter more claustrophobic feel, as well as never quite knowing whats going on behind you. It also lets you play more with fov to make things seem closer or further than they really are, as well as make the rate of approach of things be more dramatic or unexpected.

I agree with this, first person offers a higher sense of immersion that third person games, you are "in" the game opposite to controlling somebody on the screen. But because of this it can be used as a mechanic to increase tension, if it's not used all the time. For me it would be like going into a place alone instead of controlling a character that will explore an indoor location. When you go out to the exterior and back into third person you release the tension in some way, if it's first person all the time you just get used to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.T. after little image tweaking
KrhdC3a.jpg

I agrree.

I have also noticed some subtle eye focus changes in the P.T teaser that remind me of eye focus changes due to stress. My vision would sometimes get blurry for a second. You want to see clearly when you feel danger. But the game had subtle eye focus alterations which increased the sense of fear and immersion. The impression was that I couldnt control the fear and its effects on my vision. Have you ever felt so much fear/stress that your eyes would get blurry? I had that happen to me in real life. The game kinda mimicked it I believe. I loved it how they played with all elements of the game including sound. I could even listen to the current passing through the lamp. The direction of the head changed the direction of the sounds. It was as if I was really there. Some weird noises came from different sides which increased fear. Something was lurking in certain spots of the room. Sometimes you could hear someone walking behind you. I dont think this can be replicated as convincingly when the game is in third person view.

Yep another vote for first person here, how could they do anything else after that demo? I'm still completely blown away by it. This in VR would be a whole new level of experience, I wouldn't even describe it as a computer game anymore.

I say that Kojima, though it's very unlikely, should change the Silent Hill formula as much as he wants if he feels it helps his game. I vote for first person, but even then, I never thought that any game could be this scary, first person or not, so maybe he could do something as good with that third person perspective. Though I must say the blurring, lighting and claustrophobicness would probably work better in first person.

i dont know what he do with the image, but here what happen when i used Windows 8 auto-image repair/editor:

YSQCCCq.jpg

kzajcgB.jpg

here if i manually edit the brightness, contrast, and colour balance:

3Xh8Chc.jpg

ETmgifo.jpg

so in the final game... yikes! if they want to, they can have realistic graphic.

No. Only the first person view was realistic, the rest was fully cinematic.

This demo without the filmic filters/effects would have been much more creepy IMO.

Its like saying that a cinematic film isnt realistic looking because its cinematic. :p

its like instagram photos.
its a photo from real world but become "stylized" with filters. Some people like it, some other prefer the plain realistic.

Played this demo yesterday, but I got stuck in one of the (way too many) walkthroughs.

I played it in the morning, sunlight coming from the windows, tried to look away many times to get away from the claustrophobic feeling of the demo, got up from the sofa, walked around with the gamepad in my hand.. and yet it was still a dose of much nope to me.

Really, this game is a big, full dose of nope.

I have tried the demo a few times and I have noticed that some things happen a little differently every time I play, or there are things that didnt happen before that happen now and vise versa.
There are new ways with how the game uses the sound or how it places the ghost. I have now seen the ghost in a place I was expecting to see it at the first time I played the game but didnt appear. Now it did....as if it new I wouldnt expect it now. It was watching me....watching me carefully and walked away slowly.
If the actual game presents this kind of variability the replayability will maintain a fresh scare. You will always not be sure if something unpredictable is going to happen.

We've had PT running at the office since last Thursday or something, people checking it out constantly. Effin scary, great fun to hear people scream randomly while sitting at your desk on a different floor :) Plenty of us have finished it at home but we haven't been able to crack it at work yet.

And a totally ingenious way to announce a new game. Hats off, big hand and all that.

Back