All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have been a slap in the face to see that FIFA14 sold more on the PS4 having gone to the trouble of making it a bundle game on the xbone.
I got my FIFA 14 bundled for free.

Additionally, I've been thinking about this yesterday while playing FIFA 14... and I wonder why PS4 users bought so many copies when the Xbox One version is the only one which features the most addictive and fun game mode, Ultimate Team.

It was Wii Play, not Wii Sports. And WIi Play was bundled with a WIimote at a minimal premium over a Wiimote alone, which is what made people question the legitimacy of it's sales numbers.

Wii Sports is credited with the title of best-selling game ever because it was bundled with all Wiis until ~2009 (after which they bundled Sports Resort).
The second best-selling game ever is Super Mario Bros which.. bundled with the NES/Famicom.

Wii Sports is credited with the title of best-selling game ever because it was bundled with all Wiis until ~2009 (after which they bundled Sports Resort).
The second best-selling game ever is Super Mario Bros which.. bundled with the NES/Famicom.

It depends on who's doing the charting. NPD, at least, does not include bundled software in its software sales charts.

Since Wii Sports wasn't bundled in Japan (so was "legitimately" charted by Japanese tracking firms) and EU software sales tracking is spotty at best, I only remember Wii Play's sales ever being debated.

...only one which features the most addictive and fun game mode, Ultimate Team.

PS4 has FUT, it just doesn't have the exclusive Legends addon. Even then its highly unlikely you get one in a pack so you either have to play for a long time or pony up a lot for micro-transactions to get one... who knows how long MS will pay for that exclusive. So I doubt people are going to pay an substantial premium for something like that on an annual franchise.

From GAF.

01 (01) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (03) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
03 (05) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
04 (30) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
05 (09) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06 (06) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (04) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
08 (08) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (02) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
10 (07) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Sony’s PS4 ‘Killzone: Shadow Fall’ climbs 13 places back into the Top 10 at No8 (+63%) as PS4 hardware stock hits retail

So UK chart definitely count bundles. But the FIFA bundles in the UK are probably gone right, they were day one?

Ya, Knack also jumped 10 spots this week.

Second week in a row that Fifa PS4 tops the charts.

Over in the US, Amazon.com just had 400+ PS4s in stock and they sold out within 20min. Really curious to see when the PS4 will finally be readily available. Back in October I guessed around February at the absolute latest, but now I think it might be even longer, which is crazy considering how many they sold already.

edit: From GAF

Sales of PS4 and Xbox One for Germany were previously a guarded secret. Now the figures for the German market were abandoned and Sony also has the edge. Since launch of the PS4 on 29 November PS4 250,000 consoles were sold in Germany by the end of December 2013. The Xbox One appeared in this country on 22 November and has sold 100,000 copies. The figures are derived from the market research company Media Control GfK.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750722

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, Knack also jumped 10 spots this week.

Second week in a row that Fifa PS4 tops the charts.

Over in the US, Amazon.com just had 400+ PS4s in stock and they sold out within 20min. Really curious to see when the PS4 will finally be readily available. Back in October I guessed around February at the absolute latest, but now I think it might be even longer, which is crazy considering how many they sold already.

I was amusing reading the unit availability count down in the GAF thread. That 999 trick is clever.

Also, I wish my company was as good at keeping track of inventory as Amazon.

German sales from GAF

http://www.next-gamer.de/news/so-oft-wurden-ps4-und-xbox-one-in-deutschland-verkauft/
Translation:

Sales of PS4 and Xbox One for Germany were previously a guarded secret. Now the figures for the German market were abandoned and Sony also has the edge. Since launch of the PS4 on 29 November PS4 250,000 consoles were sold in Germany by the end of December 2013. The Xbox One appeared in this country on 22 November and has sold 100,000 copies. The figures are derived from the market research company Media Control GfK.

I read most of these numbers and think "actually not too bad for Xbox". Read GAF long enough and you'll think 1 million PS4's are sold for every 1 Xbox LOL.

At least in these deep Europe, poor for Xbox markets, doesn't seem too horrible.

Some other GAF numbers, the German media control one is unsourced really, I'm just trusting it

Some figures from Media Control to give an idea about the german market:

Germany LTD hardware sales (in million):
NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

Germany Q1-Q3 2013 hardware sales :
3DS 347k (343k)
PS3 280k (424k)
360 165k (220k)
Wii 85k (192k)
WiiU 75k
PSP 48k
PSV 48k

And sort of a compilation of known sales so far

NA:
PS4 1.14 million
Xbox One:909,132

UK:
PS4 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:134,000
Xbox One:28k

France:
PS4:100k *first 2 weeks
Xbox One 50k* first 3 weeks*

AU:
Xbox One:65,917

Germany:
PS4 250K
Xbox One 100K

Interestingly adding all those up I get about 2.2m PS4's and 1.5m One's. Given the latest 4.2/3 PS4/One figures, that leaves ~2m PS4's and ~1.5m Ones unaccounted for.

Yep very interesting and it looks like it's trending along the same path as PS3 vs 360 in those markets.

It's surprising how much it is in the main, but still the One is slipping some vs 360 in some ways. For example, the UK (although even that could be argued to be a natural occurrence of this Sony console not being 599 and a year late).

The other x factor is how things will look once Ps4 catches up to demand. A certain ratio while one is supply constrained isn't necessarily a true picture.

And to me all this is temporary while the One is 499, which I think it will be 399 no later than fall 2014, unless somehow the sales start to organically increase. Microsoft is probably just looking to hold the fort for now.

It's surprising how much it is in the main, but still the One is slipping some vs 360 in some ways. For example, the UK (although even that could be argued to be a natural occurrence of this Sony console not being 599 and a year late).

The other x factor is how things will look once Ps4 catches up to demand. A certain ratio while one is supply constrained isn't necessarily a true picture.

And to me all this is temporary while the One is 499, which I think it will be 399 no later than fall 2014, unless somehow the sales start to organically increase. Microsoft is probably just looking to hold the fort for now.

Titanfall and Halo 5 in 2014 mean no price cut until 2015 at the earliest. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Prediction... Estimation... Insider... whatever floats your boat.
We expect hardware sales of 900,000 Xbox One units and 1.2 million PS4 units in their second month of release. On January 6, Microsoft announced Xbox One worldwide sell-through of over three million units before the end of 2013. Microsoft announced over one million consoles sold-through worldwide in the first 24 hours, and announced Xbox One sell-through of over two million units worldwide in 18 days.

On January 7, Sony announced cumulative PS4 sell-through of over 4.2 million units as of December 28. Previously, Sony announced that 1 million PS4 units sold-through in the first day of release and announced that worldwide PS4 sell-through had surpassed 2.1 million units as of December 1. For current-gen, we expect 550,000 Wii U units (up 19 percent year-over-year), 600,000 Xbox 360 units (down 57 percent year-over-year), and 500,000 PS3 units (down 21 percent year-over-year).

This is not fact, but a rumor! But from all indications within the realm/circle I deal with, PS4 sales did outpace XB1 North American sales for December. So an unofficial heads up...

As I stated pages back, PS4 will probably have December NPD locked.

NPD cannot come soon enough. Hopefully we'll see an end to the wild theories that have so far been offered although I suspect some will still have some ludicrous arguments up their sleeves lol

I think that December's NPD numbers are going to be close. I'm more interested in January sales for X1 and February or March sales for PS4. Basically I'm interested to see how they both sell with no supply issues... the PS4 hasn't reached that point yet.

At least in these deep Europe, poor for Xbox markets.
The rest of the post says XB360 hasn't been that poor versus PS3, so I think that's an inaccurate myth.

XB360 managed to sell the same number of consoles as PS3 worldwide. Either it did that by selling 80 million units in the US, or it did it by selling worldwide meaning there's a substantial international market. The same total sales means we have a nice reference for distribution, as it's only distribution that's affecting installed consoles per country. 360 has half its number in NA. PS3 has more like a third. So we're looking at 40 million 360s versus 55 million PS3s in rest-of-the-world.

I think that December's NPD numbers are going to be close. I'm more interested in January sales for X1 and February or March sales for PS4. Basically I'm interested to see how they both sell with no supply issues... the PS4 hasn't reached that point yet.

But it's not really a supply issue is it? The number of units produced each month will not change. The only variable really is the demand for those units.

At the moment the PS4's demand is outstripping supply whereas the XB1 demand seems to have tailed off and the supply is now exceeding it.

Judging by the speed at which units are moving on Amazon for example, then it wouldn't be much of a reach to say that the PS4 has at least another 2 to 3 months of sell outs.

But it's not really a supply issue is it? The number of units produced each month will not change. The only variable really is the demand for those units.

At the moment the PS4's demand is outstripping supply whereas the XB1 demand seems to have tailed off and the supply is now exceeding it.

Judging by the speed at which units are moving on Amazon for example, then it wouldn't be much of a reach to say that the PS4 has at least another 2 to 3 months of sell outs.

It's still a supply issue. You can explain that the PS4 supply issue is caused by excessive demand instead of poor production capability, but that doesn't change the fact that they are currently not distributing enough units to enable everyone who wants to buy one to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back