Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft: Xbox One is three times as powerful as Xbox 360

Jimmy Fallon at one point asks Phil Spencer if Forza 5 (which they demo) could have been made for the Xbox 360. Spencer responses surprisingly by saying that it couldn’t but how he describes the Xbox One is sure to get a lot of attention.

Spencer said:

Even if the One is under-clocked, only 3x the 360? is this even possible?

The 360 gpu had about 240 giga flops of power I think. The newest xbox was supposed to have 1, 200 giga flops. That is only a five time increase in gpu power. If tgere has been a downclock and if a significant portion of the gpu is reserved for the OS, I could see how it could only be three times as powerful in gpu terms.

Jimmy Fallon at one point asks Phil Spencer if Forza 5 (which they demo) could have been made for the Xbox 360. Spencer responses surprisingly by saying that it couldn’t but how he describes the Xbox One is sure to get a lot of attention.

Spencer said:

Wow, either that is a mistake or indeed the GPU clock speed has been lowered like: 550MHz-600MHz. Lets hope it is a mistake.

For pities sake it was just PR blunder. And a consoles power is certainly not just the sum of it's GPU is a whole host of variables that are probably impossible to compare to previous generations anyway

Maybe it's a different point of perspective. 3 times more - as in, we can do 3 times the stuff we were doing on the X360 (3 times the detail, 3 times the physics etc). If you add up these 3 times everything more, it ends up being more than 3 times in absolute terms. Other than that, I really have no idea - but I'm not sure the comment of a dev should be taken as to mean that there was a downclock or something. Not everyone uses the same metric to deduct performance (i.e. flops)...

Well I guess once it hits the big gaming sites MSFT will dismiss it via a tweet or something .
Thought it is a terrible mistake to do during a show that present the system to a pretty wide audience far from the DRM noise, etc.

Spencer said:

If that's the quote, then I think it was indeed just marketing flubbing another point. The idea seems to be that the XBO is an improvement in 3 areas, graphics, physics, and sound. He might have been nervous and somehow turned 3 areas of focus into 3x the power. PR messages melting together and all that. I'm sure he was assaulted by prep teams telling him a bunch of sound bites to utter and he just botched it somehow.

He corrected himself on twitter:

Y9DxlVX.png

8x doesnt make any sense, if the Xbox One is 1.92 TF they would've said so already.

At this point it would be just better for them to give the facts. Admitting there's a power deficit is bad but not as bad as all the comments and then corrections. It just making matters worse. Its in stark contrast to sony who cannot say a thing wrong at the minute and thats because they aren't hiding under a cloud of misinformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point it would be just better for them to give the facts. Admitting there's a power deficit is bad but not as bad as all the comments and then corrections. It just making matters worse. Its in stark contrast to sony who cannot say a thing wrong at the minute and thats because they aren't hiding under a cloud of misinformation.

The difference seems to be that MS are providing more and confused information as everyone who works for MS is swamped with info requests, post unpopular DRM and message board outrage.

For those numbers to have ANY use, we'd first have to know how exactly they calculate the comparison (if they calculate / use some creative maths AT ALL).

For what it's worth, they could compare total Flops, GPU Flops, CPU Flops, etc. - or just come up with some fancy calculation including the impact of the dedicated hardware etc.

And even if we knew all of that for sure, XBOX 360 and XBOX One would still remain to be based on completely different architectures - so differences in theoretical numbers don't mirror the difference in true gaming performance at all.

All we know at this point is that Microsoft's PR team apparently wants any reps to tout "8 times the performance of 360" as the official statement. And we can assume that this is the most positive way to describe the performance delta.

If their theoretical peak numbers were anywhere near (or better) than PS4's, they'd have made an official announcement on GPU TFlops (just like SONY) a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
240GFLOPS x 8 / 5 (Xenos SIMD width) x 4 (GCN width) =>~1.5TFLOPS
I copyright that finely crafted piece of PR mathematics :LOL:

Anyway "xX" statement are pretty useless GPU can be measured in many way, it gets worse for the whole system. If one looks at the ps3 and the ps4 the system have nothing in common, "xX" statements means nothing, it is just PR.

GCN is ~100% efficient whereas Xenos was ~60% (and that's from the XB1 dev docs so it's what MS is basing its calculations from) so:

240 GF x 60% = 144 GF x 8 = 1152 GF = ~1.2 TF

8x is a totally fair PR number ... I have no real issue with them, unlike, say, with their cloud comments. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back