NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I think they changed them fairly recently - otherwise vgleaks, DaE and DF would have known.

The way the announced the 8GB at the event also ties in with this.

I'm guessing most of the devs were still working to specs of 4GB.

This could probably mean that some durango specs have changed too. I really hope so.

As long as you know this for sure... just like you knew the PS4 had 4GB of RAM for sure yesterday. ;)

We don't know anything for sure, but if as many things in the rumoured PS4 specs are as wrong in the rumoured Durango specs (ie 1) - then i'm fairly confident ;)

Plus, there seems to be more Durango information out there than Orbis.

And vgleaks have access to an Xbox ATG whitepaper which they've been posting stuff from, so you'd expect that to be reasonably accurate (otherwise why are the cops searching DaE)

Even ERP here has heard it's nearly 3GB and bgassassin recently confirmed the same, not to mention thuway, andy h, karak etc on GAF.
About the only one who didn't think it was that much was Proelite and Aegies.

They could overclock the GPU to say 1.5TF or so, but that's probably unlikely.

Other than that, i'm not sure what they could do short of overhauling the silicon and launching a year later (at best)

They can actually double the memory to 16GB ala Orbis, but it won't be as useful due to the bandwidth limitations. They won't have launch games that would take advantage of the ram either.

Unless they delay their console to 2014, or have secretly upgraded their console massively since spring 2012, Durango is the weaker console next generation.

They could overclock the GPU to say 1.5TF or so, but that's probably unlikely.

Other than that, i'm not sure what they could do short of overhauling the silicon and launching a year later (at best)

People said Sony cant change the RAM amount in this short amount of time... and look what happened. I'm in the position to believe that most Durango spec leaks are outdated. Hopefully we are going to see Durango next month or in April. Its about time.

People said Sony cant change the RAM amount in this short amount of time... and look what happened. I'm in the position to believe that most Durango spec leaks are outdated. Hopefully we are going to see Durango next month or in April. Its about time.

People were talking more about price then anything there.

Durango specs are locked in, the leaks from last year will not majorly change, expect to be disappointed if you think otherwise.

They can actually double the memory to 16GB ala Orbis, but it won't be as useful due to the bandwidth limitations. They won't have launch games that would take advantage of the ram either.

Unless they delay their console to 2014, or have secretly upgraded their console massively since spring 2012, Durango is the weaker console next generation.

Yeah, 16GB of memory when you can only access 2 GB per frame isn't going to be very useful.

People were talking more about price then anything there.

Durango specs are locked in, the leaks from last year will not majorly change, expect to be disappointed if you think otherwise.

Yeah, it was mostly people incredulous that beleagured Sony would take such a hit on memory rather than technical reasons. After all, it's just swapping the RAM chips for higher density ones.

We definitely have a lot better picture of Durango than we did of Orbis, the fact that DaE got searched shows he (and by extension vgleaks) are not simply nuts with too much time on their hands who make up exceedingly detailed console specs (unlike the likes of misterxmedia/alexcteam etc).

Plus, their specs are corroborated by DF's sources, Edge and bgassassin and the other GAF insiders

And undoubtedly the killer PS4 feature is the Vita remote play, it's going to be tough for MS to match that since they don't have a portable Xbox device

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was mostly people incredulous that beleagured Sony would take such a hit on memory rather than technical reasons. After all, it's just swapping the RAM chips for higher density ones.

We definitely have a lot better picture of Durango than we did of Orbis, the fact that DaE got searched shows he (and by extension vgleaks) are not simply nuts with too much time on their hands who make up exceedingly detailed console specs (unlike the likes of misterxmedia/alexcteam etc).

Plus, their specs are corroborated by DF's sources, Edge and bgassassin and the other GAF insiders

And undoubtedly the killer PS4 feature is the Vita remote play, it's going to be tough for MS to match that since they don't have a portable Xbox device

Not to mention that remote play works with all brands (including ios, android) to varying degrees at least.
At least we know that we can use smartphones and tablets as "second screens" to display similar or different stuff like the wiiu.

What if Microsoft raise the line?
Es. 8 GB gddr5+ 64 mb esram

They can accept to sell in loss, amen
Ps. Epic and crytek surely are very happy

I don believe that they will change the gpu but putting two of this is not that hard
Since Yesterday i don't believe they can double the nemory and renember dae keep saying all the time that durango have accurate but old old specs and that it's not weak as people (he used the word kids) thinks on forums

What if Microsoft raise the line?
Es. 8 GB gddr5+ 64 mb esram

They can accept to sell in loss, amen
Ps. Epic and crytek surely are very happy

I don believe that they will change the gpu but putting two of this is not that hard
Since Yesterday i don't believe they can double the nemory and renember dae keep saying all the time that durango have accurate but old old specs and that it's not weak as people (he used the word kids) thinks on forums

This will only happen if they do not want to launch this year, changing the type of ram is not trivial GDDR5 is very different to DDR3.

This will only happen if they do not want to launch this year, changing the type of ram is not trivial GDDR5 is very different to DDR3.
maybe they can let sony launch first to launch durango first months of 2014, or maybe the change is already on the work because we were talking about 1,5 years old specs

since yesterday I belevied that even doubling the amount of memory is not trivial (you know, different chip, different memory controller and so on) but sony do

maybe they can let sony launch first to launch durango first months of 2014, or maybe the change is already on the work because we were talking about 1,5 years old specs

since yesterday I belevied that even doubling the amount of memory is not trivial (you know, different chip, different memory controller and so on) but sony do

Doubling the memory is trivial you slot in chips with twice the density.

Expensive, but trivial.

If microsoft are changing to GDDR5 now (and subsequently making the ESRAM less relevant) then they will not launch until probably Christmas next year, this isnt a two month job. They have no reason to change to GDDR5, the ESRAM is there to help makeup for the low bandwidth of the DDR3, why add more expensive GDDR5 when the platform wasnt originally designed around it?.

Doubling the memory is trivial you slot in chips with twice the density.

Expensive, but trivial.

If microsoft are changing to GDDR5 now (and subsequently making the ESRAM less relevant) then they will not launch until probably Christmas next year, this isnt a two month job. They have no reason to change to GDDR5, the ESRAM is there to help makeup for the low bandwidth of the DDR3, why add more expensive GDDR5 when the platform wasnt originally designed around it?.

to match Sony of course, the same that sony have done, match the amount of durango
how can you be so confident that changing memory chips take a year? (I think that the whole machine will take a year) and how are you so confident that the change is not already done?

just for info, near DAE there was another person who talks with him and know the same things, included specs and xbox next real name. just go to DAE twitter profile and search for MTW, and read what's writing
the very same way of DAE

if those are hints, durango is different from the old specs

to match Sony of course, the same that sony have done, match the amount of durango
how can you be so confident that changing memory chips take a year? (I think that the whole machine will take a year) and how are you so confident that the change is not already done?

just for info, near DAE there was another person who talks with him and know the same things, included specs and xbox next real name. just go to DAE twitter profile and search for MTW, and read what's writing
the very same way of DAE

if those are hints, durango is different from the old specs

Okay it probably won't take a year but they sure as hell aren't launching this holiday season if they make such major changes, that will also increase prices and then they will have to wake till next holiday season.

Seriously though, throwing a lot of money (and anything they have already produced) out the window and also flushing a year down to the drain to just match Sony?.

The funny thing is that there are lower-cost GPUs with memory controllers capable of supporting either GDDR5 or DDR3.
Admittedly, I haven't felt motivated to look much into that product range, which is characterized by modest resources and either limited or even less memory bandwidth--depending on the memory choice for a given product.

I'm not sure how well that sort of controller scales up to the speeds and widths of the performance SKUs that are dominated by wider buses and higher-clocked GDDR5.
It probably wouldn't be as easy as increasing the density of chips used, but it wouldn't involve ripping out a chunk of the die and starting over.

I'm not sure how well that sort of controller scales up to the speeds and widths of the performance SKUs that are dominated by wider buses and higher-clocked GDDR5.
It probably wouldn't be as easy as increasing the density of chips used, but it wouldn't involve ripping out a chunk of the die and starting over.

Not sure if people read the MS patent on the DMEs, but the DME was supposed to have corresponding unit(s) inside the memory chip(s).

I assume that in order for that to work transparently, the memory controller would also need to be customized?

An amusing question on the PS4... does anyone else wonder if the box wasn't shown because they don't know how big it needs to be yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back