News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they will sell off any of those things any time soon.

I don't see them selling either as well. Live is a huge piece of infrastructure that I doubt MS would be willing to sell, nor could it be easily replicated.

And while Bing may not be successful as a consumer search engine/Google alternative, I bet there are applications of the search technology for enterprise and other cloud based data collection services that aren't easily visible.

T hats why no one wanted the Wii cause it was a completely different method of control to what had gone before ..... Oh wait
Also what steveorino saiz
2010 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2011 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2012 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect
2013 just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect

So what's 2014's message?
Him perhaps just you wait there's some good stuff coming with kinect

1. kinect 1 was an add-on and kinect 2 is the main part of the console.
2. kinect like experience is very sensitive. So more precise kinect was needed in the first place.
3. using indie game developers is better option than AAA publishers for creating sth different. It's possible only on X1 & kinect 2 (new policy ...).
4. good stuff for kinect could mean anything from VC in mass effect 3/skyrim to headtracking in FM4 or sth with full motion tracking in fun games like DC or kinect sport.

I want sth really different and unique with kinect. FRU is a good example.

The management (presuming Gates and Ballmer still has a lot of say on strategy) don't want to spin off anything.

But there is external pressure to do so.

Elop ends a lot of things, like the Nokia smart phone OS and their handset business.

Good thing he didn't become CEO ...

Well in my opinion a Cloud expert like Nadella shouldn't head Microsoft. Now Sundar Pichai knows how to sell a product with Cloud services that's what Microsoft needs.

The management (presuming Gates and Ballmer still has a lot of say on strategy) don't want to spin off anything.

But there is external pressure to do so.

Value ACT (the main proponent of spinning off) gets a board seat next month. Lets see what happens.

Probably we've gone long enough to say there's not much revolutionary really going to come with Kinect.

That said in this connected age, including a voice recognition mic system and a video camera with every console is alone probably a decent idea, regardless of any motion control, provided eventually the added cost of it becomes low.

Broken record, but kinect can be revolutionary. MS/devs just need to stop trying to figure out how to REPLACE a controller, and start thinking about how to best work WITH a controller.

For MS, most importantly, that means rethinking a controller to work WITH kinect. That's the missing key. Allow users to keep the dual analog and multibuttons they've grown accustomed to, but free up the arms so that interaction with kinect can become more natural, not forced.

Actually, one line of thought is that given his background, MS may not be emphasizing devices and services and consumer products in general as much.

In fact, Value Act, which got a board seat, is pushing for MS to sell off Xbox, Bing and other consumer products.

The fact is Microsoft made a bad move picking Nadella for one main reason. Nadella doesn't have any product background, he only has a solid Cloud services background

Probably we've gone long enough to say there's not much revolutionary really going to come with Kinect.

That said in this connected age, including a voice recognition mic system and a video camera with every console is alone probably a decent idea, regardless of any motion control, provided eventually the added cost of it becomes low.

I just think the revolution was over advertised, it was brute force PR'd to such an extent that the revolution actually ended up being unnoticed.

The PS Eye did the basic same stuff, but it didn't have the bigger games nor the power to be good enough, but imho the Kinect 1 was a revolution with some major money thrown at the games and fun games as well.

I just think that expecting bigger things from Kinect 2 is simply unrealistic, we have a good grasp on the games that can be done, and will be done. What we are asking for is a complete re-think of kinect games and to such an extent it will sell XB1's, that would be great but let see :)

Is there a reason why Youtube works in Internet Explorer on the XB1 and it says it requires flash but when I go on different sites that are flash required like Twitch it won't play?

I like using Youtube in IE on the One because it can play videos that are not available on mobile. It works real well too. :)

Is there a reason why Youtube works in Internet Explorer on the XB1 and it says it requires flash but when I go on different sites that are flash required like Twitch it won't play?

At a guess, IE XBO only supports HTML 5?

Which OT, YEARS after HTML 5 was said to be taking over, Flash is still all over the place. As an android phone owner without official flash support since Adobe stupidly canceled it, it's annoying.

I like using Youtube in IE on the One because it can play videos that are not available on mobile. It works real well too. :)

Cant you use desktop mode on your mobile browser? I'm pretty sure that works well for me. Different mobile browsers may have different degrees of being able to "hide" from mobile detecting websites, but I've never had much trouble tricking youtube that I remember

I'm surprised people here disagree with the choice of Nadella being MSFT CEO, imho it is great choice.
Now what I find weird is that he got nominated after MSFT bought Nokia, I'm not sure that make lots of sense from his POV. Anyway at some even if incredibly wealthy they have to stop wasting money.

Now what will he do? Bastardize his view and keep afloat unprofitable businesses in an attempt to maintain a statu quo? Or the company will a severe re-org?
In the long run I would prefer the later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised people here disagree with the choice of Nadella being MSFT CEO, imho it is great choice.
Now what I find weird is that he got nominated after MSFT bought Nokia, I'm not sure that make lots of sense from his POV. Anyway at some even if incredibly wealthy they have to stop wasting money.

Now what will he do? Bastardize his view and keep afloat unprofitable businesses in an attempt to maintain a statu quo? Or the company will a severe re-org?
In the long run I would prefer the later.

He will probably accelerate the shift of windows from devices to the the infrastructure of Azure.

Azure is the future of MS because it is the only way to tie every that MS is about -great ubiquitous software - to everything...

I know you think of Bing as bad but Bing and by virtue of Bing, the Foursquare and Facebook tie ups are the only way to provide contextual data services to their software backend... Bing is FUNDAMENTAL to the future of MS and needs Azure to be its storage, compute and connection engine... windows at this point is just the endpoint interface to Azure/Bing.

Bing powers Kinect and will power Cortana. It will provide the location data to all searches local and wide area, translate... much like Google Now. Azure and Bing together is the convergence of everything MS...

I don't know if he will be good or bad. I don't think, that given his cloud background, he'll move MS more in the software as a service direction and as it relates to Xbox, games as a service.

Long term, I really think, he will try to bring back the always-on line Xbox, but incrementally, instead of what MS tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back