News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the 8% reserve for kinect doesn't represent all the visual functionality.

Does the PS4 reserve any gpu for its camera, which is a peripheral? Like 5-6%? Is the PS4 camera's functionality lost during gaming?

How about Kinect on the 360? Does any Kinect 360 title reserve ~40% of the 360 gpu just for the camera.

Seems like most of the reservation would be due to the Fusion aspect of Kinect, which correct me if I am wrong the PS4 camera/kinect v1 lacks but gets along fine without.

Unless a game makes heavy use of kinect, the camera's finer points and capabilities aren't necessary during gaming.

Maybe Kinect v2 reverts to a Kinect v1 like solution when games aren't needing the greater capabilities so basic visual functionalities aren't lost but devs get to claw back 8% of gpu reservation.

I mean even 2% for VC seems off since true audio's logic handles VC functionality or at least a portion of it.

Kinect v1 offers visual and VC functionality and I have never seen anyone mention it eats up half of the 360 gpu resources to do so.

V1 has its own processor correct? V2 is done on the console side?

A driveless SKU is optional. I don't believe the driveless SKU is supposed to replace the current one so I don't see it as a losing proposition. I'm actually very interested in it.

If it makes the device smaller and cheaper, great. MS can still sell redeemable download codes to retailers so that other retailers and B&M stores are not cut out.

Well B&M stores can get customers who will be using cash or if they are selling the code in the form of a gift card but once you are selling just a code it really doesn't make for the average consumer to head off to the store to get a code. This would be a big break from the B&M thang and unless MS is going to throw in reduced priced codes for say Gamestop or whathaveyou it will sever some major existing business relationships. Not saying that it won't happen of course.

It's funny that in the middle of last year Gamestop was going to get a cut of the new DRM paradigm from MS and now they will essentially be cut out.

Is their voice recognition good enough for that? I think it currently uses both visual identification and audio recognition to recognize who to login and who's issuing commands etc.

And a key feature of their box (and very useful one at that, if you play a lot of local multiplayer/split screen as I do) is the ability to hand a controller over to someone and the game automatically recognises the change and logs them in. Or the ability to reorganise the location of views in split according to where each player is sitting.

You wouldn't be able to do any of that with just voice recognition.

You would think choppy playback of videos in snap would be a CPU constraint not really due to lack of GPU resources. And doesn't the system have a dedicated h264 hardware decoder anyway?

each controller also has IR... so im sure there is a IR to voice association that Kinect sets at the start of each play

The thing is a no disc SKU could be made much smaller in form factor (which in turn can allow for packaging and shipping savings, etc), have more efficient/less expensive cooling, and so forth. I dont know that it'd be linked with a full casing or hardware redesign this early though, so you'd likely just have a blank where the Bu Ray goes.

Yeah this was my thinking upon reading about this. To really make a dent in the packaging ( case ) you would need to re-spin the motherboard unless you are actually going to make some artful "dent" in the packaging where the BD drive was.

All of this talk so early in the life of the console seems a bit much. I don't doubt for a second that there are plans but cutting out all physical media distribution by the holidays or earlier for a budget SKU, simultaneously pissing off B&M stores and cutting into your margins ?? Sure you can make Gold mandatory for that SKU to offset some of the cost but I don't know.

Yeah this was my thinking upon reading about this. To really make a dent in the packaging ( case ) you would need to re-spin the motherboard unless you are actually going to make some artful "dent" in the packaging where the BD drive was.

All of this talk so early in the life of the console seems a bit much. I don't doubt for a second that there are plans but cutting out all physical media distribution by the holidays or earlier for a budget SKU, simultaneously pissing off B&M stores and cutting into your margins ?? Sure you can make Gold mandatory for that SKU to offset some of the cost but I don't know.

It would just be an optional, additive SKU so it wouldn't be so drastic.

And I have never bought the "pissed retail" line. Retailers would carry consoles even if not a single software was sold. There are tons of things in a store that are sold for not much margin. Plus, there will always be higher margin accessories associated with consoles, at the least (controllers, play n charge kits, headsets etc). As well as of course the digital currency cards. They might not be thrilled, but there's no chance they stopped carrying consoles imo.

I don't see removing the Blu-Ray drive really making for a smaller console. The z-height of the system is dictated by cooling, not the drive. If you really wanted a smaller system, you'd need to redesign the board, and no way that happens only 1 year out. If we see a cheaper SKU, I see it tied to subsidies via Xbox Live much like the Xbox 360. Removing the hard drive isn't going to give them much and creates a lot of needless complexity.

Well, it didn't get a lot of play on here, but MS did finally come out a few weeks back and admit their original vision for the One was without an optical drive.

They decided the market wasn't ready for a DD only console and included the BR drive and that caused all their DRM bad press problems.

So the real issue now isn't whether or not MS will release a One without an optical drive. Of course they will - at some point.

The issue is whether or not they are willing to do so now and position it at such a price point to lose even more money per unit but gauge the current demand for a DD only console.

Because just removing the optical drive won't be enough of a cost savings to drive sales or purchases of that unit, so they're going to have to be willing to take an even larger loss but position the DD only console at a more competitive (I'd say equal) price point to the PS4.

Well, it didn't get a lot of play on here, but MS did finally come out a few weeks back and admit their original vision for the One was without an optical drive.

They decided the market wasn't ready for a DD only console and included the BR drive and that caused all their DRM bad press problems.

So the real issue now isn't whether or not MS will release a One without an optical drive. Of course they will - at some point.

The issue is whether or not they are willing to do so now and position it at such a price point to lose even more money per unit but gauge the current demand for a DD only console.

Because just removing the optical drive won't be enough of a cost savings to drive sales or purchases of that unit, so they're going to have to be willing to take an even larger loss but position the DD only console at a more competitive (I'd say equal) price point to the PS4.

I would love to read that, link?

I don't get the "lose even more money per unit..."

Where was it shown that MS is selling the Xb1 at a loss? I thought the statements had all indicated slight profit to break even per unit at the current price?

In any case, my swag is a savings of perhaps $50 per unit by removing optical once all associated components and fees are accounted for, max. But if current price is break even or a slight profit, that might be enough to allow a full $100 drop to price parity taking a small per unit loss. If sales are lagging enough, I could certainly see them considering it. But this year does seem early. I really would have expected that to come with the first full shrink.

I would love to read that, link?

What link? What? Are you really saying you didn't read where MS came out and said that the original plan for the One was a digital only console and that they later decided that the market wasn't ready for an all digital console and decided to add the BR drive?

Seriously? You didn't read the fact that MS admitted what many of us had posited all long in order to explain their crazy DRM scheme?

Okay.. I'll try to find some links for you, but this was carried by just about every major gaming website when MS had the interview.

It would just be an optional, additive SKU so it wouldn't be so drastic.

And I have never bought the "pissed retail" line. Retailers would carry consoles even if not a single software was sold. There are tons of things in a store that are sold for not much margin. Plus, there will always be higher margin accessories associated with consoles, at the least (controllers, play n charge kits, headsets etc). As well as of course the digital currency cards. They might not be thrilled, but there's no chance they stopped carrying consoles imo.

I agree they will sell both skus and hopefully high margin console "stuff" but it is going to significantly shift things. Whether or not it's a major of enough problem who knows. Although it might interesting for MS to see how the B&M stores react to the rumor and then see what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:
What link? What? Are you really saying you didn't read where MS came out and said that the original plan for the One was a digital only console and that they later decided that the market wasn't ready for an all digital console and decided to add the BR drive?

Seriously? You didn't read the fact that MS admitted what many of us had posited all long in order to explain their crazy DRM scheme?

Okay.. I'll try to find some links for you, but this was carried by just about every major gaming website when MS had the interview.

We all considered it an option, but If there is a real interview with actual reasoning behind why they didn't, then it would be good to read.
Especially if they actually launch one after they concluded they shouldn't. A total motherboard redesign, a new case and a new PR strategy... sounds crazy to me.

I don't see removing the Blu-Ray drive really making for a smaller console. The z-height of the system is dictated by cooling, not the drive. If you really wanted a smaller system, you'd need to redesign the board, and no way that happens only 1 year out.
They may already have prototypes when exploring this option, and are willing to go ahead with it now. So not necessarily a clean slate design happening after launch. also not sure a redesigned board couldn't be achieved in a year. The whole system is designed, so it's just a board re-jig. Although there wasn't much room for space savings that I saw. They'd have to fold the mobo in half, no?

They'd have to significantly undercut the PS4 pricing (while dramatically increasing the retailer margin to even get it in stores) for people to look at a driveless Xbox One. Otherwise it would probably go over about as well as the PSP Go.

They'd have to significantly undercut the PS4 pricing (while dramatically increasing the retailer margin to even get it in stores) for people to look at a driveless Xbox One. Otherwise it would probably go over about as well as the PSP Go.

Being a DVD and Bluray player for ps2/ps3 respectively were pretty strong selling points, seeing as how both were valid price competitive options compared to standalone players at the time.

But today? How many buy a ps4 or xb1 or are significantly swayed that direction because it plays blurays? Did not being a DVD player stop the Wii from being a success?

IMO, its not that big a deal for consumers. Of course I have no experience with a DD only console, and I do see how not being able to do the impulse Walmart or bestbuy purchase is a bit different, but honestly if I could set a queue for overnight download and install, and/or an app on my phone that allows me to remotely purchase and dl/install a game to my console, I wouldn't see a big problem.

Hell, the market reacted pretty violently to the original Xbox One DRM,

I'm sorry but that wasn't the market - it never got far enough to be measured there.

It was a bunch of internet forum posters and gaming web sites that reacted violently, and some other websites were reporting about the situation.

As for the disc drive, the way I see it only the following people care about it:
- those who aren't content with DD only (and look at Steam to see just how many gamers are not like that)
- those who don't yet have a BR player but want to get one

Everyone else will be happy to get the cheaper system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back